Finally got my 10-second slip after Stage II build
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Finally got my 10-second slip after Stage II build in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ...
    LitiGATOR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Thumbs up Finally got my 10-second slip after Stage II build

Some of you may have seen my recent “Stage II” build thread; for those that haven’t, take a read here to see how the process was developed and the final decisions were made: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-results.html

The build went off without a hitch and the boys at KDI were very helpful in getting me the parts quickly and working with my tuner, Johan at DiabloSports to get everything dialed-in and running safe.

I went to the track last Wednesday and ran consistent 11.2s but my trap was a little lower than I had expected (121-123). Granted, conditions weren’t ideal, but still, I felt the car was pulling some power up-top. I brought the car back to Johan and he made some tweaks/adjustments to the tune, backed off the timing a bit, and the car made the same power on the dyno. So, I was optimistic for my next jaunt to the track.

Last night was the night --- the weather was about as good as you can ask for in South Florida. Temps in the low 50s and a negative DA, with clear skies and little wind. If I was going to get my 10-second slip, it had to happen tonight. Now, of course with good weather comes lots of other cars at the track which we all know can be an issue because your car has to sit in the staging lanes and get hot. Also, several “break-downs” cause significant delays in the amount of running time at the track. Last night was no exception.

I get to the track early; meet up with some friends that are also there. As we’re sitting in line, a flatbed truck with a Bugatti Veyron heads towards the entrance of the track. Wow. A buzz filled the air as word spread of the ultimate supercar’s presence.

After “teching” in, I was in the staging lane and while they prepped the track the car got a chance to cool down for a little while. I dropped the pressure in the 18” MT’s to ~ 20 psi. I was ready.

First run, the car felt good --- I ran a 1.59 60’ time, my best ever. I looked up at the board and thought I had my 10, on my first run. This was gonna be a great night: I would get my 10 on my first run, then I could park the car and watch all the other awesome cars run. It didn’t pan out that way. God wanted to tease me with an 11.005. That’s right, 11.005.

I felt nauseous, but cautiously optimistic. I knew the temps and DA were dropping and that I “should” get my 10-second slip. But in racing you learn never to take things for granted. My next several runs, the car would hit the rev limited on the 2-3 shift, bogging for a split-second before shifting gears. That’s hesitation caused me a couple tenths on each run and I was running 11.2-11.3. I knew the car was making the power for 10s, and that if I could resolve the shifting issue, I’d be there.

I made a call to my tuner(s). It was suggested that I re-load the tune to get rid of the adaptives that were causing the shifting issues. I prayed it would work or I’d be going home with a handful of very low 11-second time slips and a bruised ego.

Next run, the car shifted fine and I ran another 11.0. Ughh --- so frustrating.

At least I knew I could reload the tune again and the car would shift properly. But, cars were breaking down and I didn’t know if I’d even get another chance to run. All I wanted was one more chance. I let the car sit for an hour, putting all my eggs in one basket. I decided I was only going to make one run, at the very end and either do it then, or not at all.

As the track was again shut down as an RX-7 crashed into the wall at the long end of the track, my chances were looking bleak. But, with about 10-minutes till close, the staging crew announced that there would be one more run. I hopped in line and prayed. I was able to hop to the front of the line due to some courtesy and lined-up against my brother’s GTR, which had always whooped my butt. (tune, downpipe).

I turned the car on; it was nice and cold. This was going to happen, I felt it. I did my burnout and lined-up at the lights. I’d placed my GoPro on my brother’s GTR. The lights ticked-off and I launched --- hard. The hardest ever. I glanced up at the board and flew by it with a 1.54 60’ time. I knew that if the car shifted, I’d got my 10. It did.

As we rounded the corner to the ticket booth, my brother in front, he grabbed his ticket. My heart was beating out of my chest with anticipation. My brother stuck his hand out the window and yelled “Good job!” I’d done it, finally.

But I didn’t just do it, I shattered the 10-second plateau. I ran a 10.75 at 127.85. I was in shock. Even more shocking --- I’d edged out my brother. I was on Cloud 9, errr, Cloud 10, and still am.

Here’s the run.

As an aside, I witnessed and was a part of something that will probably never again happen in my lifetime. The Bugatti was over at the road course making some laps. My brother, who isn’t shy, drove over there, tracked down the owner of the Bugatti, and talked cars with him for about 45-minutes. Somehow, he convinced the Bugatti owner to come over to the drag strip and run him. There were probably 10 GTRs at the track last night, several in the 9s, but he only ran my brother.

This is the first race at a public ¼ mile drag strip in the world that I’m aware of. It’s already all over the internet on almost every car forum. I was smart enough to stick my GoPro on my brother’s GTR before he raced the Veyron . . . that video is coming out shortly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Re: Finally got my 10-second slip after Stage II build

What kind of cam and heat exchanger?

It's a Hennessey heat exchanger . . .

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Congrats, your quest is complete for now until you decide to shoot for 9's ?)

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Nice runs man. Congrats on getting in to the 10s. I just can't believe these heavy cars can do stuff like this. Truly amazing.....

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Fine launch!
    Can you explain the video, tho? It looks like the V crosses the line 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Fine launch!
    Can you explain the video, tho? It looks like the V crosses the line 2nd.
    It's partially the angle of the camera. If you look at the slip, you can see that my brother actually get the jump on me (better r/t). So I'm actually going faster, but he's slightly ahead at the end.

Funny, I saw a string of asterisks before. Anyway, GG. I was in the same situation getting into 11s, a bunch of 12 flats then bam! 11.75 @ 120

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by smackdownCTSV View Post
    Funny, I saw a string of asterisks before. Anyway, GG. I was in the same situation getting into 11s, a bunch of 12 flats then bam! 11.75 @ 120
    I removed the asterisks. And the cam, like you didn't know, is a KDI Track Sweeper cam.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    I removed the asterisks.
    I was just trying to play by the rules, thanks

ultimateendz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 BMW X3, 2011 CTS-V coupe

congrats on the 10s....i wont be seeing a track until march i hate winter up here

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Congrats! Feels good when you surprise yourself

Here are some pics I took of the Bugatti

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

and the 1million+ car ran what again?

edit; nvm, missed the video.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    and the 1million+ car ran what again?

edit; nvm, missed the video.
    10.1 and I'll bet with better track prep and launch, it would break 9s.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.