CTS-V fuel pump flow
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CTS-V fuel pump flow in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I flow tested a V2 CTS-V fuel pump last week and thought you all might like to see the data. ...
    mr dw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): looking for CTS-V

CTS-V fuel pump flow

I flow tested a V2 CTS-V fuel pump last week and thought you all might like to see the data. I am not sure if it has been discussed on this forum or not. The V2 uses dual intank bosch pumps. Below are the flow and current draw results from ONE of the pumps at 13.5 volts. Keep in mind, the flow of both pumps will not equal 2x the flow of one pump. Fluid dynamics come into play...

40psi 265LPH and 8.5amps
    50psi 250LPH and 9.0 amps
    60psi 230LPH and 9.5 amps
    70psi 205LPH and 10.1 amps
    80psi 195LPH and 10.6 amps

All flow testing was performed in-house at DeatschWerks on our calibrated fuel pump flow bench.

If someone can tell me the base fuel pressure, I can calculate theoretically what the stock fuel pumps will support.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Re: CTS-V fuel pump flow

The stock setup is Pulse width modulated, and has different target fuel pressures depending on what the calibration commands. At wide open throttle, the target is usually in the 65 psi Target. At idle, and low rpms it is about 30-35psi target.

Since the engine computer and the fuel pump controller can be modified, those settings can be changed though from stock targets.

The problem most people have is, that the applied voltage from the fpdm to the actual pumps is about 11.9-12volts. Even at 100%duty cycle.

I have modified the stock fpdm to output much higher voltages that allows for lower duty cycles needed, but there are limitations still on how far you can go.

There is also an internal safety bypass inside the tanks that starts bleeding off extra fuel around 66 psi, but, if you ask for 70s, it will flow more than the bypass can get rid of if you are not using all the fuel and will make higher values. Eventually though, the fpdm will relearn and back itself down if it has to, in order to bring values closer to commanded vs actual. So overshooting will correct itself. Example, you ask for 68 and it overshoots to 72, it will modify that cell for duty cycle to lower the pwm down to 68 eventually.

The fuel pump values you have are 100% correct at those flow levels with no load. Once you have 2 in the mix, and the controller, the load on that circuit exceeds 60amps during fast duty cycle transistions, Ie 35psi to 70psi transition..

With a temporary 20Volt output to the pumps instead of the stock 11.9ish volts, they have been handling 1000+hp so far with only a minor drop in pressure but at 100% duty cycle.

mr dw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): looking for CTS-V

Thanks for the info Jesse. darn returnless fuel systems make everything difficult! Wish I could reflow at 12 volts but I no longer have the pumps. At what bhp power level does a BAP become required?

shade is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): CTSV

BAP is needed around 700-800 rwhp. All depends on mods as well. You just need to monitor fuel pressure. Other people have done this work they are just not members on this community

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.