Pilot Super Sport alternate sizes - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Pilot Super Sport alternate sizes in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by larry arizona ever seen a formula one car on cold tires and low speeds? you can't even ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Pilot Super Sport alternate sizes

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    ever seen a formula one car on cold tires and low speeds? you can't even get them moving and if you do look out for that first turn, its a doozy.
    Yep, just watch the Top Gear UK episode where Richard Hammond gets to drive one. It's insane the prep needed to make them drive in a race...

dgman2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011CTS-V / AT Sedan, Black w bl wheels

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaxe View Post
    been on 2 wheels almost as long as 4. building my next chopper over at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...per-build.html.

sold your last two bikes? can't imagine not having at least 1 or 3. w/o a doubt, i'm sold on the V, i just have monthly publicist and advertising costs for the next few months on the book, so once that's over and assuming the job is stable, i'll be putting in my order. mine has to be a stick though. even if the auto is faster, if i'm going to drop that much coin on anything, i have to squeeze every ounce of enjoyment out of it possible.

is there another thread where you outline everything you're doing to your V performance-wise?
    Well, I'm impressed. You must be a busy beaver. I admire your motivation; I don't have enough energy/
    motivation to take on tedious projects. Of course, age is not an excuse but it does make a difference. I take the
    easy route and watch my skilled mechanics do my mods. Guess what... my car before the vette was an 05 (LS2) GTO! you've got good taste!! I totally understand you love for bikes. I started young also and was biker before
    car nut, always looking to have the fastest bike (sick puppy). I have tapered it down, though... not old yet, but
    getting there.
    No other thread with mods. So far, for performance, I've added D3 spacers and an AirAid intake... catback will be next with a tune. Depending on that infamous "wild hair" , a lingenfelter V650 kit will be next. That is good for
    680 BHP with a mild /safe tune. My #1 mechanic and friend (owner of Blanchard Performance engineering),
    recently installed one on a 2012 ZL1 camaro. NICE!!! my only other mods were window tint and a good bit of
    invisible armor to all essential areas of the car.
    Gotta get ready for WORK now... If you PM me your email address, I'LL send you some pics.

In order to return to this thread's purpose... I still have the PS 2's on this car and I do like them, but I will probably go to drag radials after these rears. A good set of DRs make a big difference in spontaneous, low speed bursts of
    acceleration and will make the car much quicker for the occasional "challenges" I endure. My experience with the GTO overall and the Vette on dry pavement has shown me that the V should be fine with Drs on dry or wet roads. So far, I've only used Nitto's, but I'm not sure yet what I'll install on the V.

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

jim,

That TG episode is exactly what I was thinking..... More downforce will hold the road better. Mass works to a point but at some point you need added aero downforce to assist. Light cars just need downforce sooner. That will get you to the limit of your tires and then you need stickier tires and so on and so forth.

WA 2 FST is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V sedan; 2002 TT Z06; 2005 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by dgman2 View Post
    My experience with the GTO overall and the Vette on dry pavement has shown me that the V should be fine with Drs on dry or wet roads. So far, I've only used Nitto's, but I'm not sure yet what I'll install on the V.
    So which Nittos and what size would you consider running?

I'm considering buying some 18" wheels all the way around and running 275/40-18 NT05 up front and the 285/40-18 NT05R (drag radial) on the rear. I've also run drag radials on a number of real street cars, driven daily, and never had an issue (with Nittos), and agree the V should be fine.

cadillaxe is offline Author "Bouncing off Guardrails"
    Automobile(s): '13ctsvcp,'10bmwS1KRR,'13YCCchopper

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    ever seen a formula one car on cold tires and low speeds? you can't even get them moving and if you do look out for that first turn, its a doozy.
    very true. i can attest to that old super light porsche 914 i had as a kid that was fcked like a turtle or blonde on its back when it was on ice.

[QUOTE=WA 2 FST;3039031]So which Nittos and what size would you consider running?

Unfortunately, I can't find my size (stock) in a drag radial yet. I want stock (285) or 295/35/19, because i do not
    want a smaller diameter tire. I do not want to lower the car and I do not want to increase the gap between tire and rear fender. I have not had time yet to search every option, but so far, Kumho and Bridgestone have stock sizes with 180 tread wear; that should give e little more traction than 220 (PS2).
    I'll post if I find anything better. Please post if you find something suitable. Nittos would be perfect If they had the right size.

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

I believe the difference in height from the stock tire and a 305 30/19 DR is 0.6". So the gap to the rear fender would increase by 0.3". Its not that much. About the difference of a brand new PS2 versus a wornout PS2. I do agree that the gap is annoying which is why I dropped mine but for DR days I don't think 0.3" is too bad.

True, but than you start of with and extra .3" and it grows as you go (the gap, that is) :-)... I'm hoping to not
    widen the gap, or make it smaller without lowering. The roads in my area are not low car friendly. I'm sure that at some point I'll find a 295/35/19. the 285 DR is much more likely to show up someday since it is standard on may
    fast cars.
    Thank you for your input

True, but than you start of with and extra .3" and it grows as you go (the gap, that is) :-)... I'm hoping to not
    widen the gap, or make it smaller without lowering. The roads in my area are not low car friendly. I'm sure that at some point I'll find a 295/35/19. the 285 DR is much more likely to show up someday since it is standard on may
    fast cars.
    Thank you for your input

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

While looking up the 295 rears, I saw that the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position has taken over the top spot on Tire Rack for Max Performance summer tires. The price is only $290 also, which makes it more attractive. I think that I'll end up getting the 275/35s up front, and sticking with the 285/35 in the rear.

WA 2 FST is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V sedan; 2002 TT Z06; 2005 Ram SRT-10

[QUOTE=dgman2;3044509]
    Quote Originally Posted by WA 2 FST View Post
    So which Nittos and what size would you consider running?

Unfortunately, I can't find my size (stock) in a drag radial yet. I want stock (285) or 295/35/19, because i do not
    want a smaller diameter tire. I do not want to lower the car and I do not want to increase the gap between tire and rear fender. I have not had time yet to search every option, but so far, Kumho and Bridgestone have stock sizes with 180 tread wear; that should give e little more traction than 220 (PS2).
    I'll post if I find anything better. Please post if you find something suitable. Nittos would be perfect If they had the right size.
    If we are willing to go "down" to an 18" wheel, then the 285/40-18 NT05R would work. It is 27.09" tall, so it is only .24" taller than the stock size. Run a 275/40-18 NT05 (not DR version) up front, and it would be a very good fit from a tire diameter standpoint.

I agree about not going any shorter than stock. I am wanting to avoid this as well.

Another option (non DR) that I have considered is stepping up to 20s and running 305/30 out back (27.2" tall) and 265/35 in the front (27.3" tall)...hate the fact the front is taller than the rear, but it is with the stock setup too... I dont notice it, so I'd imagine .1" difference just isn't noticeable.

However, I am not sure this gives as large of a contact patch as the 285/35-19. I know it is wider, but that doesn't necessarily mean more rubber is on the ground. I have no way of knowing this, though.

I can guarantee that a 285/40-18 would have a larger contact patch than the 285/35-19, though. Same width, but taller sidewall = more contact patch typically...not side to side, but front to rear.

Makes good sense, exept that I love my wheels and have yet to see any that I like better than my stock
    black ones. I feel that it is way past time for some manufacturer to come out with our size DRs. I'm
    hoping Nitto will do so soon. If all else fails, I'll try the 180 tread wear tires; they might be a little better.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    While looking up the 295 rears, I saw that the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position has taken over the top spot on Tire Rack for Max Performance summer tires. The price is only $290 also, which makes it more attractive. I think that I'll end up getting the 275/35s up front, and sticking with the 285/35 in the rear.
    C&D w/ the Tire Rack ranked the S-04 high up. But it was still eclipsed by the PSS(#1)...

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

^^^^^
    Which makes it even more a shame that the PSS is not available in stock size. Maybe they will be by the time I need replacement tires again. I'm still on my almost dead front PS2s, just getting in one more long road trip with them before I kill them off in a way only V owners can.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

^^^^ - Bob, the PSS2's are available in oem front sizes. It's just the rears that are still not.

Rob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.