Pilot Super Sport alternate sizes - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Pilot Super Sport alternate sizes in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So here's Michelin's reply to my questions. I was expecting a non-answer, but I am at the answer I got. ...
    neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: Pilot Super Sport alternate sizes

So here's Michelin's reply to my questions. I was expecting a non-answer, but I am at the answer I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelin
    We appreciate your request for the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in size 285/35-19. Unfortunately, we do not manufacture this tire. Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate Marketing Group for future consideration.

Michelin does not recommend you put size 295/35zr19 on a 9.5" rim. This could be a safety concern.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.
    1st point: DUH, that's why I'm asking.
    2nd point: For the lawyers.

I require stock size, so I will be scratching these off my list and looking at the Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs, Conti DWs, and Hankook Ventus.

cadillaxe is offline Author "Bouncing off Guardrails"
    Automobile(s): '13ctsvcp,'10bmwS1KRR,'13YCCchopper

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    So here's Michelin's reply to my questions. I was expecting a non-answer, but I am at the answer I got.

1st point: DUH, that's why I'm asking.
    2nd point: For the lawyers.

I require stock size, so I will be scratching these off my list and looking at the Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs, Conti DWs, and Hankook Ventus.
    gotta love computer/college kid generated responses.

no desire for p zeros on the car? any particular reason? always used either michelin or pzeros on the porsches years ago, so just curious.

Dale Pittman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaxe View Post
    perfect! this forum is answering questions i have before i even get it.
    Glad to help. I have been away from this forum a while but glad to see the tire info is still valuable. My friend still has the CTS-V with these tires on it and it still runs and drives very well. I moved on to my next project, a new 2012 C6 Grand Sport and have it to a similar power level as the CTS-V (600+ WHp). All I can say is what a difrence loosing 1200+ lbs of mass does to the performance of a vehicle

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Pittman View Post
    Glad to help. I have been away from this forum a while but glad to see the tire info is still valuable. My friend still has the CTS-V with these tires on it and it still runs and drives very well. I moved on to my next project, a new 2012 C6 Grand Sport and have it to a similar power level as the CTS-V (600+ WHp). All I can say is what a difrence loosing 1200+ lbs of mass does to the performance of a vehicle

Take care,
    funny you say that, a buddy of mine back in ponte vedra just ordered his brand new grand sport last week. he's toying with a procharger. F=ma for sure!

dgman2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011CTS-V / AT Sedan, Black w bl wheels

funny you say that, a buddy of mine back in ponte vedra just ordered his brand new grand sport last week. he's toying with a procharger. F=ma for sure!
    Nice! I did the opposite. I did that project (very similar one that is) and sold my vette last year. The 1000 pounds does make a big difference in more than one way. The CTS-V handles much better in the rain than my vette did. It is much easier to push hard than my vette was, especially accelerating through curves. So, despite the extra
    weight, the V is the faster car for overall use in my hands. I can see it being the other way around for VERY experienced drivers though.
    All that being said though, the SC vette was a blast and I'm sure he will like it. Mine was a A&A Vortech setup with CCW wheels and 345's in the rear on 13" wheels. I wish him good luck....if he does it, tell hime to be VERY careful in the rain!!

Quote Originally Posted by dgman2 View Post
    Nice! I did the opposite. I did that project (very similar one that is) and sold my vette last year. The 1000 pounds does make a big difference in more than one way. The CTS-V handles much better in the rain than my vette did. It is much easier to push hard than my vette was, especially accelerating through curves. So, despite the extra
    weight, the V is the faster car for overall use in my hands. I can see it being the other way around for VERY experienced drivers though.
    All that being said though, the SC vette was a blast and I'm sure he will like it. Mine was a A&A Vortech setup with CCW wheels and 345's in the rear on 13" wheels. I wish him good luck....if he does it, tell hime to be VERY careful in the rain!!
    it's interesting to hear you say that it was easier for you ripping through curves, etc. in the cts. makes me more excited about the idea of getting one. i'll definitely pass this on to him, though he's already learned (in Jax Fl where rain can be nasty) how bad those big tires can be on wet roads with a light car. thanks!

There will definitely be many who argue against what I said, but just keep in mind that it holds true for me and not necessarily everyone. Good driving skills will definitely make a difference in the Vette. The V is just much easier to drive and more forgiving. You ought to try and get good test rides in both on the same day... specifically an
    aftermarket Supercharged Vette. I had about 700 BHP and 600 torque with the vette and it was a handful. If you
    get a chance to push them hard and you are not an AWESOME driver, you will be faster in the V unless you are on the dragstrip or a straight road. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to check it out.

There will definitely be many who argue against what I said, but just keep in mind that it holds true for me and not necessarily everyone. Good driving skills will definitely make a difference in the Vette. The V is just much easier to drive and more forgiving. You ought to try and get good test rides in both on the same day... specifically an
    aftermarket Supercharged Vette. I had about 700 BHP and 600 torque with the vette and it was a handful. If you
    get a chance to push them hard and you are not an AWESOME driver, you will be faster in the V unless you are on the dragstrip or a straight road. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to check it out.
    i'd passed your comment on to my buddy who said it made no sense to him. as both of us are engineers, i was trying to calculate what might explain it. w/o doubt, F=ma and the lighter car will always accelerate faster assuming the same power. no arguing that.

however, in terms of grip, if the car is pushing outward at 1/2*m*v^2, and the force holding it to the road is friction coefficient*m, in theory a car twice as heavy has more road holding ability than the lighter one, right? but as he pointed out, why don't light formula cars fly off the road all the time then?

when i test drove the ctsv, i didn't kill any curves with it since i wasn't familiar with the car and would rather buy a nice new one that i want, not a nice wrecked demo one because of an on-shi+.

i'd passed your comment on to my buddy who said it made no sense to him. as both of us are engineers, i was trying to calculate what might explain it. w/o doubt, F=ma and the lighter car will always accelerate faster assuming the same power. no arguing that.

however, in terms of grip, if the car is pushing outward at 1/2*m*v^2, and the force holding it to the road is friction coefficient*m, in theory a car twice as heavy has more road holding ability than the lighter one, right? but as he pointed out, why don't light formula cars fly off the road all the time then?

when i test drove the ctsv, i didn't kill any curves with it since i wasn't familiar with the car and would rather buy a nice new one that i want, not a nice wrecked demo one because of an on-shi+.
    Hello again. Well, I'm not an engineer (wish I were), but I love this stuff and love to try to think through some of these
    issues using common sense instead of formulas. The answer to your question would touch more than just one issue. weight vs tire size would be one. Wider tire sizes are better for traction up to a point; go over that point and you have less traction.
    Some of the variables other than weight and tire size are tire composition. suspension (thats a BIG one), weight distribution
    of the vehicle, center of gravity, and probably some that I never thought of.
    My Vette definitely had a lot of rubber under it. Probably to much in the rear. The pounds per square inch of weight on the
    road were definitely much less that the V, so that would be part of the problem. On the other hand, vettes do have a bad
    habit of poor behavior on wet roads and I'm not sure why. The V acts like it never knew that rain was an issue.
    I've gotta go now, but I'll be back later.

Hello again. Well, I'm not an engineer (wish I were), but I love this stuff and love to try to think through some of these
    issues using common sense instead of formulas. The answer to your question would touch more than just one issue. weight vs tire size would be one. Wider tire sizes are better for traction up to a point; go over that point and you have less traction.
    Some of the variables other than weight and tire size are tire composition. suspension (thats a BIG one), weight distribution
    of the vehicle, center of gravity, and probably some that I never thought of.
    My Vette definitely had a lot of rubber under it. Probably to much in the rear. The pounds per square inch of weight on the
    road were definitely much less that the V, so that would be part of the problem. On the other hand, vettes do have a bad
    habit of poor behavior on wet roads and I'm not sure why. The V acts like it never knew that rain was an issue.
    I've gotta go now, but I'll be back later.
    i struggled with the concept of tire area in school too, and argued with my teacher that no way a big flat surface was as easy to push as a point loaded. he pointed out that 'in theory' all comes down to weight down * coefficient of friction. we both know that a bigger area of tire grips better, which doesn't make sense thinking of the theoretical formula. Then there's my sportbike that i've done 120 mph on bad tires in pouring rain (dumb, i know) but the tiny point of contact kept me from hydroplaning.

yep, stuff'll make your head hurt for sure.

Cool!! so you are a biker too... I just sold my last two bikes. Honestly, the V messed me up!!! I don't really care to drive
    anything else. Once I've done the mods I'm planning, I'll have about 675 to 700 BHP and same torque, and it will be just as
    "streetable" and reliable as it is now... just with some more spunk :-). Performance numbers will be around that of a
    current model Z06 in stock trim, and actually quicker if the Z06 driver is not a good driver (the Auto tranny shifts much
    quicker than I could with a manual and does this without missing a shift and always at the right time; all that while I can
    focus on where I'm going and what's around me). For a 4 door sedan with all the comfort this car offers, that is awesome!
    You have your cake, eat it too, and have a spare cake in store, LOL.
    So, GET THE V!! you will love it!

Cool!! so you are a biker too... I just sold my last two bikes. Honestly, the V messed me up!!! I don't really care to drive
    anything else. Once I've done the mods I'm planning, I'll have about 675 to 700 BHP and same torque, and it will be just as
    "streetable" and reliable as it is now... just with some more spunk :-). Performance numbers will be around that of a
    current model Z06 in stock trim, and actually quicker if the Z06 driver is not a good driver (the Auto tranny shifts much
    quicker than I could with a manual and does this without missing a shift and always at the right time; all that while I can
    focus on where I'm going and what's around me). For a 4 door sedan with all the comfort this car offers, that is awesome!
    You have your cake, eat it too, and have a spare cake in store, LOL.
    So, GET THE V!! you will love it!
    been on 2 wheels almost as long as 4. building my next chopper over at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...per-build.html.

sold your last two bikes? can't imagine not having at least 1 or 3. w/o a doubt, i'm sold on the V, i just have monthly publicist and advertising costs for the next few months on the book, so once that's over and assuming the job is stable, i'll be putting in my order. mine has to be a stick though. even if the auto is faster, if i'm going to drop that much coin on anything, i have to squeeze every ounce of enjoyment out of it possible.

is there another thread where you outline everything you're doing to your V performance-wise?

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

Formula one cars are light but have extreme amounts of down force to grip the track

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    Formula one cars are light but have extreme amounts of down force to grip the track
    that's true too, as they're going high enough speeds that those factors make a difference.

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

ever seen a formula one car on cold tires and low speeds? you can't even get them moving and if you do look out for that first turn, its a doozy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.