160 thermostats, is it worth changing to
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 160 thermostats, is it worth changing to in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Just wondering if I should change the T-stat to 160. Car runs great but if it can better, I am ...
    1Sensei is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTSV COUPE

Question 160 thermostats, is it worth changing to

Just wondering if I should change the T-stat to 160. Car runs great but if it can better, I am all for it. Please chime in with your feedback. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Re: 160 thermostats, is it worth changing to

Well, The coolant temperature dramatically effects applied timing, so It does help keep your horsepower.

When past 212 degree coolant temp, it will start to pull timing. 1.8 degrees at 2000rpm and .6 degree at 5200 rpms. More as your coolant temp goes up.

Plus the underhood temp drop, the quicker engine temp drop, and other benefits.. Even cooler running transmission from the lower allowed fan settings.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

It's a very popular, cheap, and easy to do mod.

qictrk is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Its an easy change mechanically, but most likely, you well need a reprogram of your ecm. Most people get an engine code error if you don't, me included.
    Some people don't, but its rare. Cecil..........

EdwardETraylorIII is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V, Z06s, ZR1...

You will see little to no advantage to doing this mod. The thermal efficiency of the radiator on our cars is already maxxed out so changing this thermostat doesn't buy you an appreciable drop in engine temps.

With so many people having leaking aftermarket thermostat issues, why bother?

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Looks like Ed has had previous experience with this.
    More than likely it can or will affect ability to pass smog in smog states.
    Even on the turbo Buicks, this mod by itself is pretty worthless.
    And it can and will affect the ability on those cars to pass smog also.

shade is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): CTSV

Sorry boys no matter what thermal efficiency says...
    Before the mod car ran 205 all day long
    After the mod car runs 185-190 all day long under the same conditions. I have logs to back it up.
    It allowed for another couple degrees of timing with absolutely no knock.
    Dale Pittman likes this.

Speedtrapped is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11' cts-v wagon

I understand the purpose, what is stock? Mine was done as part of LPE performance package, but when you think of it, once the engine is hot, the t stat is just an opened valve-right? I am still wondering if it makes sense to spend the $ on a better IC rad, given that I live in NE, and its now cool out. But as I have heard Ed discuss alot sounds like meth is the bigger bang for the buck. Sorry didnt mean to thread jack.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I was debating this for a while myself. After reading, that when tested, the stocker opened in the 180s, I left it alone. I wish someone made a 180 also. I just don't want to drop that low for a DD in Wisconsin.

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII View Post
    You will see little to no advantage to doing this mod. The thermal efficiency of the radiator on our cars is already maxxed out so changing this thermostat doesn't buy you an appreciable drop in engine temps.

With so many people having leaking aftermarket thermostat issues, why bother?
    The most obvious benefit that I saw when I changed to a 160 degree t-stat on my Camaro (along with reprogramming the computer to take advantage of the change) was that I could be out on the track going full blast for more than 1/2 hour and the temp gauge hardly budged... and yes, the '98 F-bodies were the last year that the car had a "real" temperature gauge! After the change, it took virtually no time at all to cool the car back down after a lapping session to where the needle would read normally. With the stock t-stat, I'd have to drive around the pits for 6-7 min. to get the gauge back down.
    Before the swap, the temp needle would begin to come close to the red area on the gauge after 15-20 min. on the track and I had to keep a close eye on it - especially on hot days.
    That being said, as Ed is suggesting here, this may not be an issue at all with the V. A 25-30 min. lapping session in the V has virtually no effect on the where the needle points on my temperature gauge.

I also never had a problem getting lots of heat during the winter with the 160 t-stat in the Camaro when I would take it out on dry days...

Best regards,

Elie

1Sensei is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTSV COUPE

Thanks for the feedback. I thank I may change it after other mods.

Bushidopupil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (V)icious Coupe

Mine was changed 12 days after buying the car new....temp never gets over 210, even where I live in Florida. Also, I just took it to the half mile event and ran it 7-8 times, hitting 151 mph and never broke 210....I say it is worth it if you plan to mod, and if you are in a hotter climate IMHO.

kcshaner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 545 RWHP 591 TQ

I have my car going into the shop for a few little things tomorrow along with a tune. If it was spring time I would think it would be a no brainer to toss one in, but considering I am heading into winter I think it may be best to wait. Any thoughts on this? Will heat be an issue at all in the sub 20 degree temps with a 160 stat?

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

I have installed the 160 deg thermostat and during last winter in Montreal heat was not an issue in my V.
    Dale Pittman likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.