Mickey Thompson or Nitto drag radials ???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mickey Thompson or Nitto drag radials ??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Who is running these and recommendations ???...
    Mr.MPH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V coupe

Mickey Thompson or Nitto drag radials ???

Who is running these and recommendations ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EdwardETraylorIII is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V, Z06s, ZR1...

Re: Mickey Thompson or Nitto drag radials ???

I've been through several sets of *both* of these on my various vettes...

Here's the best way to answer your question:

If the car is *only* a drag strip car (meaning, you don't drive it on the streets AT ALL), then the MT's are right up your alley...
    If the car is driven on the street AT ALL, then the Nitto's are your tire!!!

The Nittos don't drift around and make the rear of the car feel like it's on a cloud. However, they HOOK like a crazy!!!! And I promise you they handle CLOSE to stock in turns... Whereas the MT's make your car feel like it's going to roll over (because they have so much sidewall flex (again, which is great at the drag strip)) in the turns.
    Tedboss1 and Tedboss1 like this.

Me Wanna A V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yesterday I shot an email to Nitto asking when they will make a 305/35/19 like the M/T.
    The NT555R is their original design and the better of their two drag radials for everyday street driving. It's true the Nitto's don't hook up as well as the M/T's but they sure last longer and that's just what I want!!!!
    I suggest you all click on the link below to contact Nitto and let's bug the crap out of them so they get the hint that they need to make the NT555R in a 305/35/19 size.

http://www.nittotire.com/Contact

Gary

Junkie414 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Nitto makes the worst DR's ever, they just plain suck IMHO. MT all the way!

I'm guessing you haven't tried the 345/19 NT05R? I can lay down 650 RWHP in 1st, 750 RWHP in 2nd, 900 RWHP in 3rd and 1100 RWHP in 4th (Boost by gear) with them. They definitely don't "suck."

Nitto makes the worst DR's ever, they just plain suck IMHO. MT all the way!

HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, White 08 SRX

I have to admit, the MT 305-35-19 actually drives quite well, even around bends. I run 33 PSI out to and back from the track. Not much sidewall flex since it is low profile. It is definitely not a PS2 and feels more like a winter tire.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,09 escalade, 80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I had nitto dr on my 500rwhp z28 and they worked good for me. I now have nitto invo tires on my c5 and pull 1.78 60ft times not bad on street tires. I run 305/35/19 on my vette I would have dr on it if they made them.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII View Post
    I'm guessing you haven't tried the 345/19 NT05R? I can lay down 650 RWHP in 1st, 750 RWHP in 2nd, 900 RWHP in 3rd and 1100 RWHP in 4th (Boost by gear) with them. They definitely don't "suck."
    Never ran that size but I've had at least 20 different sets of Nitto DR's and they have all been terrible. Mickey Thompson, M&H, and Hoosier all make amazing drag radials that work really well. Nitto makes a GREAT street tire or normal radial, but can not keep up in the drag radial game IMHO

qictrk is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I doubt that Nitto is even going to make a 305-19-35 DR for our car. This write in to Nitto was tried some time ago. I think its been a year or more that this was discussed. I have used Nitto Dr' s in the past
    on another car I had and I liked them. They cover both worlds and will give you about 10K miles on a set. Cecil.........

6speeder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Junkie414 View Post
    Never ran that size but I've had at least 20 different sets of Nitto DR's and they have all been terrible. Mickey Thompson, M&H, and Hoosier all make amazing drag radials that work really well. Nitto makes a GREAT street tire or normal radial, but can not keep up in the drag radial game IMHO
    Nitto makes TWO different drag radials. The old 555R's did suck at the strip, but were pretty good on the street, and did last longer than other maker's DR's. Their new DR, however, the NT05R is pretty damm good. I'm sure it won't last as well but the traction is far superior to the 555R.

I couldn't have said this any better myself.

Their new DR, however, the NT05R is pretty damm good. I'm sure it won't last as well but the traction is far superior to the 555R.

Ive had NT05r's, just not in that exact size. MT > Nitto all day long IMO if you're looking for traction. When figuring out what drag radial I want mileage usually isn't a big factor for me personally, nitto easily wins that one hands down.

HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, White 08 SRX

Well, if it is anything worth of note, when at the track, I have observed with interest cars using MT drag radials putting down better 60 foot times compared to the NT05R. The Nitto was decent in the 1.7/1.8 range but the MT's were the ones pushing 1.5/1.6 60 foot times. That aside, I would certainly not use the MT's every day on the street since they were designed to hold heat for better grip (Temp C rating). I expect that they would not hold well up past 3,000 to 4,000 miles.

6speeder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'm only at 440 rwhp (6,000'+ DA) and using BFG 295/35-18 drag radials am able to get high 1.6 60' times. Either of the MT or Nt05R's should be as good or better.

Mr.MPH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V coupe

Thanks for all the input
    I ordered MT's and should be running them at an 1/8th mile track friday night.
    I will let you guys know how I do
    I am sure that if I do not do well it will be the tires and if I do great it will simply be a reflexion on my amazing ability to control the car!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.