How to fix the lowered suspension noise/squealing typically associated with D3 spring
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, How to fix the lowered suspension noise/squealing typically associated with D3 spring in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; The noise that you hear is coming from this point of contact. Thats right you are riding on your bump ...
    BLitzkrieg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

How to fix the lowered suspension noise/squealing typically associated with D3 spring

The noise that you hear is coming from this point of contact. Thats right you are riding on your bump stops.

You need to first remove the shock and spring assembly

remove the hard black plastic cap from the top of the shock. If you notice this will give you an additional 3/8" of suspension travel.

Next look into the dust boot and remove the soft yellow bump stop.

Cut the first rib off of the bump stop then reassemble and move onto the other side.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EdwardETraylorIII is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V, Z06s, ZR1...

Re: How to fix the lowered suspension noise/squealing typically associated with D3 sp

Did this 100% resolve your squeaky/noise issue?

Re: How to fix the lowered suspension noise/squealing typically associated with D3 sp

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII View Post
    Did this 100% resolve your squeaky/noise issue?
    Absolutely 100%. I measured the car's ride hight and wheel centerline height. I removed the spring and dust cover from the shock and they placed a jack under the frame and under the rotor. I replicated the earlier measurments. I instantly saw the contact between the bump stop and the plastic piece. Even the noise made is the same noise I heard when I removed the bump stop from the metal cup from which it resides.

e6t
    e6t is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2 CTSV

if that actually works, you squeaky spring guys owe this man a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by e6t View Post
    if that actually works, you squeaky spring guys owe this man a beer.
    SA Octoberfest works for me.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Makes sense. Some of the first gen CTS-V suspension kits required trimming or even removing the bump stop. Nice work.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

tabio42 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

You're the man. Did you do another alignment after reinstall? Or not necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by tabio42 View Post
    You're the man. Did you do another alignment after reinstall? Or not necessary?

not necessary

MrMaschine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011CTSV

good thread, hey question does this work on the Sport or Comp or both?

I found the installation sheet from D3 with my original springs just now and it does mention cutting something up front in the shock assembly, i actually thought it was the plastic boot based on the illustrations which werent clear but maybe its the bumpstop.

Anyone else try this yet? I have Sunday off i might have my friends come over and give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaschine View Post
    good thread, hey question does this work on the Sport or Comp or both?

I found the installation sheet from D3 with my original springs just now and it does mention cutting something up front in the shock assembly, i actually thought it was the plastic boot based on the illustrations which werent clear but maybe its the bumpstop.

Anyone else try this yet? I have Sunday off i might have my friends come over and give it a shot.
    I am sure it is required for both. Heck on the stock springs I hear some cars make the noise under braking and some bumps. Pulling the shock is cake. Jack up the car, pull off the plug and 2 nuts on the top of each shock, remove the 18mm nut from the top control arm, remove the 2 bolts that hold on the abs sensor and get that out of the way, remove the two lower shock bolts and pull out the shock/spring assembly. It takes be 10 minutes to pull a side, 5 to remove the cap and cut the bump stop, and another 10 minutes to put it all back together.

tabio42 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Somewhat off topic-
    where are the proper jacking points on the car?

MrMaschine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011CTSV

Blitz did you not reinstall the hard black plastic cap on the shock by the piston in order to give 3/8 more travel?

Im wondering is this will cause the Mag shocks to leak easier by doing this modification or if the cars front end will react better.

did you notice any ride or turn in improvements afterwards?

Blitz did you not reinstall the hard black plastic cap on the shock by the piston in order to give 3/8 more travel?

Im wondering is this will cause the Mag shocks to leak easier by doing this modification or if the cars front end will react better.

I did not reinstall the car and I did notice that the car is not bouncey on the front end. The ride did improve. I will recheck the shocks in a few weeks for additional leaking. I don't anticipate it though because now the shock is not bottoming out like it was before.

I did not reinstall the car and I did notice that the car is not bouncey on the front end. The ride did improve. I will recheck the shocks in a few weeks for additional leaking. I don't anticipate it though because now the shock is not bottoming out like it was before.

musclesbmf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 GTR

Awesome find sir!!

Mark

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.