So just how much TORQUE/HP can the CTS-V Rear End take??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, So just how much TORQUE/HP can the CTS-V Rear End take?? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hello, So just how much TORQUE/HP can the CTS-V Rear End take?? Well the better question is how much can ...
    Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

So just how much TORQUE/HP can the CTS-V Rear End take??

Hello,
    So just how much TORQUE/HP can the CTS-V Rear End take?? Well the better question is how much can the rear axle CV's take? We decided to test the limits of the OEM components in our Drag CTS-V. As many of our customers know we have been spending a lot of time at the track this summer testing out new products and such. With all factory rear end components we mounted MT Drag Radials in the 305 variant. The vehicle is an upgraded CTS-V (auto) making about 900+ ft lbs of tq and about the same HP. In this latest test session we were testing our chassis bracing and monitoring the incremental gains in our 60' times. This was the 3rd run of the test session and maybe the ~60th run on this drivetrain.

On launches from an idle we were able to get some fairly good grip:

As you can see we just about have the front wheels off the ground.....

Unfortunately/Fortunately we were also able to do this:

As you can see here the bearing case for the CV was not able to withstand the load it was subjected to and exploded. The result is a bunch of new "smaller" parts (not all of them are pictured because we left a few at the track). Not to worry, this is why we spend so much time testing. We are now already developing axles and CV's built specifically for extreme high HP/TQ setups. List price will be $1700 (set), more information on the official release of that later.

We wanted to share these images with the community to show what we were able to research through testing. Granted we can get this part changed out under warranty, but why replace with OEM when you can replace with higher grade components? Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bushidopupil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (V)icious Coupe

Re: So just how much TORQUE/HP can the CTS-V Rear End take??

The Hp/Tq figures mention above, are they crank or RW numbers?
    Thanks

P.S Good launch pic.

Hello,
    Thanks!

Those numbers are crank, and they are conservative.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Bushidopupil View Post
    The Hp/Tq figures mention above, are they crank or RW numbers?
    Thanks

P.S Good launch pic.

serturbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 V Coupe

Any visible wear elsewhere? Possible twisting of the splines at either end?

Also, props for taking the time to share with the V2 community.

shade is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): CTSV

Stock transmission? If so how does it look? Have you pulled the pan to look at the wear.
    That would be valuable information to the community.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I'm overall pleased with how much torque it took on multiple passes before you sheared some axles. Could be a little better, could be a lot worse, but it looks like a good amount of head-room for the casual road-racer wanting to make another 200 stallions.

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

What was your best 1/4 mile time with that car?

gnxs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I think that's the first failure I've seen. When GM went to address the issues here on the 1st gen CTS-V, they really stepped up.

haterinc is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

It sounds like there were some repeated passes and pushing it to the limits but I'd agree although this is a great option should this occur, unless you're pushing over 800rwhp I'm not sure how often you'd see this? Keep us posted and thanks for putting in the R&D and sharing the results.

Quote Originally Posted by haterinc View Post
    It sounds like there were some repeated passes and pushing it to the limits but I'd agree although this is a great option should this occur, unless you're pushing over 800rwhp I'm not sure how often you'd see this? Keep us posted and thanks for putting in the R&D and sharing the results.
    yup, there's not much left wanting with regard to the V's powertrain. Strong Iron rear diff, different sized half-shafts that are also pretty strong, both transmissions can take a couple of hundred HP over stock , and the engine is so cheap to modify it's crazy.

newcadman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Might want to check out "600 CTS-V's" thread titled " testing in the heat " and watch the video( 9.98 @ 140 ) of the fastest V currently on the forum to help discover the answer to the question re: how much Torque/ HP the CTS-V rear end can take.

If not mistaken, I believe this V makes in the neighborhood of 865 for both TQ & HP and he makes mention he's still running the stock rear end !

FWIW & IMHO, that's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by newcadman View Post
    Might worthwhile to check out "600 CTS-V's" thread titled " testing in the heat " and watch the video( 9.98 @ 140 ) of the fastest V currently on the forum to help discover the answer to the question re: how much Torque/ HP the CTS-V can take.

If not mistaken, I believe this V makes in the neighborhood of 865 for both TQ & HP and he makes mention he's still running the stock rear end !

FWIW & IMHO, that's impressive.
    The only other drivetrain I can think of that would come close is an 01e and quattro in the B5. Stock OE Axles with 100K and stock 01E are all good to 1000+, it of course has the advantage of splitting torque to twice the wheels however, so you'd need more in the neighborhood of 1600-1700hp to start to approach what 865hp is asking from the two in the V2.

*golf clap for GM*

No. We did a full inspection upon tear down and everything looked good. Looks like all the load was taken by the CV carriage. No problem!

Quote Originally Posted by serturbo View Post
    Any visible wear elsewhere? Possible twisting of the splines at either end?

Also, props for taking the time to share with the V2 community.

SHADE -
    Stock transmission. We are deliberately leaving it stock to see how far we can push it. As of now it will remain stock.

M5eater - Agreed. To be honest with you, we were expecting other areas to go before this. But this is why we do this to see what the weak points are so we can build better products. We are still only running our base engine setup.

Tedboss1 - We aren't really focused on that right now. more the 60' launches for most of our testing. We will take the car to Vegas and run it out there to see what it can do on a good track.

gnxs - Clearly we wouldn't want to speak for GM, but they might not have too much to worry about. I think we have been trying to beat the piss out of this car on the track to get stuff like this to happen. I think it is slightly out of the norm what we are doing to this car. Most people shouldn't have this issue. We just wanted to bring it up and show what can happen given certain circumstances.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

cbloveday is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Could you please advise what other suspension alterations have been done to the car.

Specifically,

1.) Does it have the D3 lowering springs in addition to chasis support mod?

2.) How many runs (approximately) was each component on the car.

I have run my car 35 times (counted the slips) and in that 35 times, I have hit 60foot times that were under 1.5 four times with no other mods to the suspension. I too run MTs but in the 305/35/18 size.

My sub 1.5 times were:
    My PB year to date is 1.481 on 5/22/11

So, my axle breaking may be imminent.

What I am respectfully getting at here is:

The photo is alarming and I appreciate the testing, the disclosure, and the submittal of proof, for this failure.

However, I need to eliminate in my mind that no other suspension alterations contributed to this failure,
    as this is the first report of an axle failure to my knowledge.

I would suspect I am not the only one considering this and your addressing this inquiry should satisfy my concerns and others that may feel the same.

Thank you in advance for a reply.

newcadman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Might be worthwhile to keep in mind the old adage, " if it ain't broken, don't fix it !"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.