High Performance Tuning Options for Cadillac V-Series Vehicles - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, High Performance Tuning Options for Cadillac V-Series Vehicles in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; The "ethics" thing might go two ways. For example, you can have a modification installed that can have no affect ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: High Performance Tuning Options for Cadillac V-Series Vehicles

The "ethics" thing might go two ways. For example, you can have a modification installed that can have no affect on another part - but the warranty on that unrelated part can/may be voided if something goes wrong. I think there's a lot of deception going on on both sides of the fence...

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Two comments:

1. The teacher in me insists that from time to time I make this comment: Why would anyone ever intentionally try to deceive someone about the mods on their vehicle? Seems to me this is a transgression that is pure larceny, just my opinion.

2. I would wager a good bit of money that if GM were willing to reveal the programming in their cpu, you would see that there is a parameter that records the fact that the unit has been flashed away from factory parameters, the program would be so easy to include...and is probably demanded by the legal department. And I will reserve my comments about the credibility of Wait4Me to avoid keyboard combat.

OK, back to the thread...excuse my rants about ethics, I just can't help myself.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Prof is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    The "ethics" thing might go two ways. For example, you can have a modification installed that can have no affect on another part - but the warranty on that unrelated part can/may be voided if something goes wrong. I think there's a lot of deception going on on both sides of the fence...
    I don't know about deception on the part of dealerships. I am inclined to believe that there are good and bad dealerships. I do know that deceiving the dealership about modifications is unethical. I can see no basis for that action. But that is me. My dealership knows exactly what I have done to the LSA in my V2. As a matter of fact I make a specific request each time it goes in for service that it not be flashed without my permission. And there is a big Lingenfelter Logo on the strut brace in the engine compartment.

If you are inclined to mod your vehicle, be accountable for the potential results, pretty simple to my way of thinking.

I guess I touched a nerve, but then, that needs to happen to get the brain engaged, kind of like a 'cold boot' of the computer from time to time.

'Moral Scold' out.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I know where you're coming from. Don't modify your vehicle to over-perform and expect GM to repair it free of charge when it brakes... I just sometimes see crazy excuses being made by some dealerships with modifications that wouldn't case the problem. Turbos don't blow as a result of a larger front mount intercooler or free flowing exhaust...

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I don't know about deception on the part of dealerships. I am inclined to believe that there are good and bad dealerships. I do know that deceiving the dealership about modifications is unethical. I can see no basis for that action. But that is me. My dealership knows exactly what I have done to the LSA in my V2. As a matter of fact I make a specific request each time it goes in for service that it not be flashed without my permission. And there is a big Lingenfelter Logo on the strut brace in the engine compartment.

If you are inclined to mod your vehicle, be accountable for the potential results, pretty simple to my way of thinking.

I guess I touched a nerve, but then, that needs to happen to get the brain engaged, kind of like a 'cold boot' of the computer from time to time.

'Moral Scold' out.
    SerbsCTSV likes this.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Ironic how folks try to hide their modifications from the "stealership"

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

I am finding that my local Dealer jumps on any opportunity to reject accountability by GM for problems encountered when something breaks. Even though the Service Rep agreed to my raising my test drive speed to identify a problem, they responded to further complaints by stating that I was driving too fast!! They may well convince me that purchasing a different car brand is more suitable to my needs.
    Maybe I will have to swap back the Factory Floor Mats when returning for service. I don't want any modification providing an excuse for nixing their responsibility. Yup, that is ridiculous, but not outside the realm of possibility in the current GM Culture!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleBrains View Post
    I am finding that my local Dealer jumps on any opportunity to reject accountability by GM for problems encountered when something breaks. Even though the Service Rep agreed to my raising my test drive speed to identify a problem, they responded to further complaints by stating that I was driving too fast!! They may well convince me that purchasing a different car brand is more suitable to my needs.
    Maybe I will have to swap back the Factory Floor Mats when returning for service. I don't want any modification providing an excuse for nixing their responsibility. Yup, that is ridiculous, but not outside the realm of possibility in the current GM Culture!!!!!
    Time to shop for a new dealer IMO. My service department (Boucher in Racine, WI) is very supportive. They are fully aware of my engine modifications and we have a very open relationship about what is a Cadillac issue and what issues are mine due to my desire to have a modified vehicle. I am in the process of selling my SRT 10 and they have offered to help if I want them involved. I am now exploring the acquisition of one of the new COPO Camaro's through them (for a friend in Canada).

I have several dealers that are much closer, but this dealership has earned my business and respect...maybe you should spend a little time with a more distant dealership??
    nt2old4actsv and SerbsCTSV like this.

TexAg09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

This conversation died out, but I figured I would go ahead and mention that I talked to a coworker the other day that used to work in the shop at a Cadillac dealership, and he confirmed that if you flash back to the factory default, they have no way of knowing it was ever changed. Hope that helps for anyone wondering.

silverstreaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V Sedan

Not sure how this thread made it to 'sticky' status but it would warrant being here if someone could tell me how I can get a good performance tune either by hand held tuner I can order, add on to my computer or a shop in the New England area. Anyone?

cruiser68 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Quote Originally Posted by TexAg09 View Post
    This conversation died out, but I figured I would go ahead and mention that I talked to a coworker the other day that used to work in the shop at a Cadillac dealership, and he confirmed that if you flash back to the factory default, they have no way of knowing it was ever changed. Hope that helps for anyone wondering.
    I have heard that it records the flash date but no other info. If they see a flash date the week before it was brought in, I suspect it would raise a red flag and possibly deny coverage.

My dealer told me intake and exhaust but no tune. A couple weeks ago I brought it in for a couple minor things. He asked where I had work done but other than that, no mention of any warranty problem with the mods. Now if I were looking for a replacement supercharger, I'm thinking he would deny that given the pulley change and faster spinning blower

RoketRdr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldorado ESC; 2012 CTS-V Coupe

It is common knowledge that GM has implemented a log within the ECM that allows them to see if/when a tune was reflashed. They started doing this with some 2010 vehicles and pretty much all beginning in 2012. Once a reflash is seen they pull up your warranty records to see if an "authorized" reflash was done by a dealer. If not...your drivetrain warranty is now void.

Quote Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
    It is common knowledge that GM has implemented a log within the ECM that allows them to see if/when a tune was reflashed. They started doing this with some 2010 vehicles and pretty much all beginning in 2012. Once a reflash is seen they pull up your warranty records to see if an "authorized" reflash was done by a dealer. If not...your drivetrain warranty is now void.
    As it should be! Performance flashing of the ECM alters the stresses on the engine. When we people begin to understand that modifications and their effects are and should be the responsibility of the modifier. Put the shoe on the other foot, and apply your brain...

When we modify and the result is 'Boom', man up and recognize who is to blame...any other approach is pure fraud.

Just my opinion...but once Lingenfelter finished with my engine, I was on the hook for engine problems in my mind. And, so far Sooooooooooo Goooooooooooooood!
    RoketRdr and RoketRdr like this.

Mike 09 V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 SRX; 09 V

OK the V2's have been around for almost 4 years, how many have been modded with pulley and a tune and grenaded? I don't think many. Could it be the motor is strong as hell and for 100HP or less most of us can not worry. After all how often do we ever drive these beasts to the limits anyway?

Somefun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Guy's a great tuner I just found in CT is Ted Jannetti. Jannetti Racing in Waterbury CT. I had another guy from Manchester tune it and I was not happy with the tune. Then I went to NJ for another guy to tune it. I thought it was pretty good but.....A few weeks ago I had decided to pull off on 850, 10" lower and ERA and go back to my 9.5" lower and half cold air set up. After Ted tuned the car holy crap now she runs like she should for sure! Not to mention I got 20 MPG average on the ride home! I highly reccomend this guy!

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
    if you guys are that concerned about the dealer finding out about a computer flash, you should have done the smart thing and bought a second engine computer before you started modding. Take the stock computer out, and put the replacement in. Then flash the replacement computer so your stock one will never show a record of a flash. Only around $300-400 for a new computer, but you save yourself alot of potential hassle down the road if you need to go back to stock for warranty work.

In my opinion your recommendation is fraud. Not a moral scold here, but why not consider just being accountable for your actions?

Just assume the responsibility for whatever adverse impact your modifications cause.

Sheesh!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.