Review - Stainless Works Cat Back System - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Review - Stainless Works Cat Back System in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Cub Cadet When you install the New Era CAI, please do yourself a favor and remove the ...
    Speedtrapped is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11' cts-v wagon

Re: Review - Stainless Works Cat Back System

Quote Originally Posted by Cub Cadet View Post
    When you install the New Era CAI, please do yourself a favor and remove the driver side brake duct. You will be saving yourself a bunch of heartache if you do it. It is very easy to remove and requires no tools. This a MUST for the New Era due to the filter location. If you need instructions on this, let me know or you can see my tips on another forum.
    Sorry for thread jack but I did follow your instructions for new era brake duct removal, tyvm. Easy as pie to do.
    Btw I logged 97-99degrees IAT, ambient was 83!

Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

KDI got their full Stainless Works exhaust on and reported no fit issues, and most importantly NO DRONE. Here is a link to the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grRDh4Kf_Do

Me Wanna A V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Phil (Cub Cadet):

It looks like all the guys who do the "complete S.W. system" (Headers to tips) are the ones who are NOT experiencing any drone.

i can only answer to my set up, and yes SW headers corsa tips...no drone

Stephen:

When are u gonna get those pics of the tips sticking out of your Vagon?

here you go.....

look at the tip shots, No room in opening....passenger side rubs a tad. I fixed it.
    Attached Images

The wagon has a smaller cutout than the sedan in the rear valance. Also, the wagon tips are different on the mufflers (stock V wagon to stock V sedan).

Cub cadet, in another thread, I said as much. The openings on sedan are bigger. Also the axle backs on mine SW headers set up is corsa sport, tips are huge. My set up is awesome and very loud.

haterinc is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Cub Cadet View Post
    The wagon has a smaller cutout than the sedan in the rear valance. Also, the wagon tips are different on the mufflers (stock V wagon to stock V sedan).
    Still surprised at this... From design and engineering it makes little sense.

The tips fill the bumper in perfectly.

I think all the muffler systems have 4" tips, so the Corsa's and the Stainless Works should both be 4".

RC51V2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Wagon

Just wanted to put a period on this thread from my end. After a few hundred miles the mufflers broke in a little, and the sound was not as bad, but there was still a drone that was not pleasant in town. Fine on the highway, find at WOT, but part-throttle load in town was not fun. Also, mileage dropped and the one pipe that was lower was banging on dragging on certain driveways and speedbumps in the area, which I could not avoid (like my own driveway!) unless I did 1 mph go at an angle approach. It got scraped pretty good. Also, the tight fit on the drivers side tip bothered me more with time.

So, I bit the bullet and bought a Borla system. It was everything for my Vagon that the SW wasn't. Tips lined up perfect, fit perfect, no rubbing issues. Tunnel brace back on no problem. Absolutely no dragging at all on any driveway or speedbump no matter the speed. And the drone...........is gone! Similar tone to the SW, more muted, but the acoustics are perfect and no matter how hard I tried, I got no drone at any time, under any load, at any speed. Gas mileage came back up, actually improved a tiny bit and being a 2.5" all the way back instead of a 3", I got my secondary cats back on it so I won't have smog issues (CA smog stinks!). And by the way, in case anyone wonders - I talked to Borla to see if I needed a special model for the Vagon, they said no, use the sedan one. And the fit was perfect. Wouldn't know the difference. If I gave up some power to the SW, well for me it's not all about making that last bit of hp. My Vagon is a daily driver and I want my mods to enhance what the car already is, not change it's dynamics. The Borla does that for me. The SW was more extreme than I guess I really wanted.

I really think the SW is designed to be a full system. Headers all the way back and you probably won't get the drone like some of us experienced. So for those going that route, the SW is probably the best way to go to make max power. And even though it is a tight fit, hopefully SW tightens up the quality control (sounds like they already have) and no one else has any fit issues like a few of us early adopters had. I'm disappointed but not upset. Been buying aftermarket stuff a long time for a lot of cars and it's one of those things that happen. Caveat Emptor and all that. I'm not dissing SW either. I think they did a nice product for what it was.......just wasn't right for my Vagon and I found another cat-back system I am much happier with.

So, if anyone wants a slightly used (less than 500 miles), painted black (with a few scrapes on the bottom of one pipe), SW exhaust, let me know. Even though it was welded up, I had the muffler shop cut it off at the welds, so maybe I can sell it and recoup a little of my lost investment. Otherwise, it's off to the scrap heap for it.

And if you want a good deal on a used New ERA intake (black) with about 1,500 miles, let me know. Selling that too. Got a different intake in there that I can't talk about yet, but will be available soon enough. Like it even better, so again, no need to hold on to the other one. Can't fill my garage up with V parts or their won't be room for the V!

Thanks everyone for the great info on this forum too. Very, very useful. One of the best ones I have been as a vehicle owner in a long time.

You should have no problem selling either of these. I am surprised that you would want to get rid of both since they both make the max power for each of their specialties. I made a quick ad over at the other place I visit about these cars... I am sure you will have this gone in no time.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Some like to have power and a clean install and the right sound.

haterinc is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

PM me or email me at redbaronmotorsportz@gmail.com about the exhaust. I told you on the other site I might be interested in this if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by RC51V2 View Post
    Just wanted to put a period on this thread from my end. After a few hundred miles the mufflers broke in a little, and the sound was not as bad, but there was still a drone that was not pleasant in town. Fine on the highway, find at WOT, but part-throttle load in town was not fun. Also, mileage dropped and the one pipe that was lower was banging on dragging on certain driveways and speedbumps in the area, which I could not avoid (like my own driveway!) unless I did 1 mph go at an angle approach. It got scraped pretty good. Also, the tight fit on the drivers side tip bothered me more with time.

So, I bit the bullet and bought a Borla system. It was everything for my Vagon that the SW wasn't. Tips lined up perfect, fit perfect, no rubbing issues. Tunnel brace back on no problem. Absolutely no dragging at all on any driveway or speedbump no matter the speed. And the drone...........is gone! Similar tone to the SW, more muted, but the acoustics are perfect and no matter how hard I tried, I got no drone at any time, under any load, at any speed. Gas mileage came back up, actually improved a tiny bit and being a 2.5" all the way back instead of a 3", I got my secondary cats back on it so I won't have smog issues (CA smog stinks!). And by the way, in case anyone wonders - I talked to Borla to see if I needed a special model for the Vagon, they said no, use the sedan one. And the fit was perfect. Wouldn't know the difference. If I gave up some power to the SW, well for me it's not all about making that last bit of hp. My Vagon is a daily driver and I want my mods to enhance what the car already is, not change it's dynamics. The Borla does that for me. The SW was more extreme than I guess I really wanted.

I really think the SW is designed to be a full system. Headers all the way back and you probably won't get the drone like some of us experienced. So for those going that route, the SW is probably the best way to go to make max power. And even though it is a tight fit, hopefully SW tightens up the quality control (sounds like they already have) and no one else has any fit issues like a few of us early adopters had. I'm disappointed but not upset. Been buying aftermarket stuff a long time for a lot of cars and it's one of those things that happen. Caveat Emptor and all that. I'm not dissing SW either. I think they did a nice product for what it was.......just wasn't right for my Vagon and I found another cat-back system I am much happier with.

So, if anyone wants a slightly used (less than 500 miles), painted black (with a few scrapes on the bottom of one pipe), SW exhaust, let me know. Even though it was welded up, I had the muffler shop cut it off at the welds, so maybe I can sell it and recoup a little of my lost investment. Otherwise, it's off to the scrap heap for it.

And if you want a good deal on a used New ERA intake (black) with about 1,500 miles, let me know. Selling that too. Got a different intake in there that I can't talk about yet, but will be available soon enough. Like it even better, so again, no need to hold on to the other one. Can't fill my garage up with V parts or their won't be room for the V!

Thanks everyone for the great info on this forum too. Very, very useful. One of the best ones I have been as a vehicle owner in a long time.

SecretWeapon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Sedan, M6, Silver/Ebony

Hey guys - I have been kind of sitting back and waiting for Stainless Works to come up with a solution for the problems that I am having with my V. I got off of the phone with Anthony and came away with some good information. First, the mufflers on the cat back system are different than the mufflers used on the full system with headers. Second, I asked him about the sensor placement on the headers and they are 100% positive that they have it right. Finally, they are actively monitoring everything that is going on and seem very willing to do whatever is necessary to get it right. Since I am still in process with them I feel that is about all I can say at this point in time. The drone thing in my car is getting a little worse as the miles pile up, but the muffs may not have the right cores in them. I will keep you posted and am sure that Anthony will check in from time to time with an update from his end as well. Regards, Secret Weapon (Mark)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.