Power Results from Stainless Works full exhaust - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Power Results from Stainless Works full exhaust in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by v05 It must have been dam hot!!! My buddy that owns his own shop tuned his m6 ...
    Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

Re: Power Results from Stainless Works full exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by v05 View Post
    It must have been dam hot!!! My buddy that owns his own shop tuned his m6 09 v. He did CAI and turned it and picked up 53 whp!!!! We have done full exhaust on some other v's and retuned them and only picked up 12-18 more whp after re tuning them (m6’s).. Not worth the money!!!! We are seeing 100+ whp with pulley and cai and a good tune!
    It was definitely hot that day... it was in the upper 80's all day.
    The 502 rwhp / 498 rwtq that you see above is ONLY for the full exhaust.
    The numbers that I got with the ADDITION of the CAI and proper tune yielded 550 rwhp / 533 rwtq.

Here is the chart that shows the full Stainless Works Exhaust, New Era CAI, and tune:
    Tune for SW and CAI.PNG

RC51V2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Wagon

Anyone else had problems with their SW exhaust being louder than anticipated? I installed mine Sunday, and I am disappointed. First, I was a little bummed the tunnel brace had to come off because the larger 3" pipes could not clear above the brace. Hopefully that part doesn't make a signficant difference in the handling. Then I had to trim a tiny corner (about 1/3") of the plastic undertray (under the bumper) on the drivers side because it was making contact with the muffler tip and there was no way we could position the muffler to avoid it. But the real bummer was the sound. It is a LOT lounder than stock with a very annoying drone right at 3K where I frequently drive. So much so I think I am going to order a set of resonators to damp it down. Doesn't fit with the image of the car. I wanted it a little to a moderate amount louder than stock but it is a lot louder. Honestly, sounds like Vette Z06 now. Funny thing is - the harder you get on it, it seems to mellow out, but at part-throttle openings it is annoyingly raspy. like the power it makes, but with the sound tradeoff, I am going to wind up spending another $200 on resonators to mellow it out.

Let it break in for a few hundred miles before you do anything. Did you buy just the cat-back?
    For what it's worth, I have no drone and the car has the full exhaust (headers / high flow cats / exhaust).

kirbyCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V manual

Quote Originally Posted by RC51V2 View Post
    Anyone else had problems with their SW exhaust being louder than anticipated? I installed mine Sunday, and I am disappointed. First, I was a little bummed the tunnel brace had to come off because the larger 3" pipes could not clear above the brace. Hopefully that part doesn't make a signficant difference in the handling. Then I had to trim a tiny corner (about 1/3") of the plastic undertray (under the bumper) on the drivers side because it was making contact with the muffler tip and there was no way we could position the muffler to avoid it. But the real bummer was the sound. It is a LOT lounder than stock with a very annoying drone right at 3K where I frequently drive. So much so I think I am going to order a set of resonators to damp it down. Doesn't fit with the image of the car. I wanted it a little to a moderate amount louder than stock but it is a lot louder. Honestly, sounds like Vette Z06 now. Funny thing is - the harder you get on it, it seems to mellow out, but at part-throttle openings it is annoyingly raspy. like the power it makes, but with the sound tradeoff, I am going to wind up spending another $200 on resonators to mellow it out.
    u just have the exhaust or headers too?

JOEYCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

The truth comes out. All that praising Cub Cadet did and the first person to install it doesn't like it. It looks like the WORLDS GREATEST exhaust setup just might not be the GREATEST. I'm also curious to know what kind of setup you're running and if you had problems with check engine lights if you have their headers. I hope you get it sounding like you want it to. Let us know.

SecretWeapon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Sedan, M6, Silver/Ebony

I installed my cat back on Saturday and the shop couldn't get it to hang properly. Also had some other issues. I have taken it to a specialty exhaust shop and should get it back tonight. I will write up the whole experience after I find out a little more info. Till then, hold off on purchasing this one.

I just did the cat-back. Living in CA unfortunately I did not want smog issues. No CEL issues at all and it does pull nice, but man, the drone between 1.5K and 2.5K will literally make change or a soft drink rattle in the center console. Let's put it this way - I have a 2001 RC51 running a non-smog legal SATO straight through race exhaust, and headers, that is loud. Loud enough to set car alarms off and loud enough to get me pulled over by the CHP's. I started up the bike in the garage, and the CTS V, and it's pretty much a toss up. The car is quieter at dead idle, but just as loud once I rev it. For reference.....I have a 2011 CTS V Wagon, automatic.

Secret - I am interested in your problems and write up. Not sure mine is fitting right either. Pipes hang down looooow and they are already dragging on driveways and speed bumps. Actually debating changing it out to a better fitting exhaust that is quieter. Have to say, i have had Gibson, Magnaflow, JBA, Dynomax and Pacesetter exhausts before......this is the first SW exhaust and right now I am not real impressed for what I paid.

Speedtrapped is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11' cts-v wagon

Well....My SW will be installed Monday by ECS. I will keep everybody posted. Having installed, Fabspeed on my 911, Eisenmann on my MB, Milltek on my 2 Audis, I have yet to find perfect fitment. The brace not fitting back completly makes sense, since the diameter is 3" vs crimped stocked to get the pipes to fit. Also, drone, resonators will handle that. I didnt buy the kit for any other reason then, ARH were more $(which is what ECS was pricing on their stage 2), Kooks a cheaper alternative, but decided to take a shot and Maryland Speed was offerring a great deal. I hope my Vagon is louder, especially with Corsa sport mated to back, but thats just me. If I have fitment issues, I will share everyone.

Stainless Works is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I just did the cat-back. Living in CA unfortunately I did not want smog issues. No CEL issues at all and it does pull nice, but man, the drone between 1.5K and 2.5K will literally make change or a soft drink rattle in the center console. Let's put it this way - I have a 2001 RC51 running a non-smog legal SATO straight through race exhaust, and headers, that is loud. Loud enough to set car alarms off and loud enough to get me pulled over by the CHP's. I started up the bike in the garage, and the CTS V, and it's pretty much a toss up. The car is quieter at dead idle, but just as loud once I rev it. For reference.....I have a 2011 CTS V Wagon, automatic.

Secret - I am interested in your problems and write up. Not sure mine is fitting right either. Pipes hang down looooow and they are already dragging on driveways and speed bumps. Actually debating changing it out to a better fitting exhaust that is quieter. Have to say, i have had Gibson, Magnaflow, JBA, Dynomax and Pacesetter exhausts before......this is the first SW exhaust and right now I am not real impressed for what I paid.
    RC51V2,

Just to confirm, did you install our SW exhaust on your wagon? We never had a wagon in house to test so I would be interested in seeing pics of the installation. This is a huge concern of mine and perhaps that is why you may be having adjustment issues, as we made this exhaust specifically for the sedan.

We did extensive testing of our mufflers on this car because we knew going into this project that drone would not fly with the Cadillac owners. I personally test drove every variation of muffler on this car and experienced no drone at any RPM. We even tested DB levels at different RPMS that were depicted in our video. I am concerned about the drone you are having as we never experienced this in house. The one main purpose of installing an aftermarket exhaust is to give you a deeper, more aggressive tone than stock. I sure would hope that your supercharged LSA engine would be louder than than a RC51, given how quiet they are compared to a Harley (even with straight pipes.)

Thanks!
    -Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWeapon View Post
    I installed my cat back on Saturday and the shop couldn't get it to hang properly. Also had some other issues. I have taken it to a specialty exhaust shop and should get it back tonight. I will write up the whole experience after I find out a little more info. Till then, hold off on purchasing this one.
    Is this on a wagon as well?

In terms of the fit, I don't think it was a sedan v. wagon issue, unless there are a lot more differences under the car, suspension, tunnel, undertray, diff/axle, than was apparent from going through the factory service manual. Here are the problems I have seen - the tips are maxed out for the space available, and even an 1/8" off lining up the muffler and you have clearance issues. There isn't the clearance as with the stock tips to let stuff move a little. The cat-back/x-pipes/s-pipes are just so large at 3" they hang down much lower than OEM and the tunnel brace won't even come close to going back on, creating clearance issues for driveways/speed bumps that don't exist with the stock one. I will try to use my phone in the next day or two to take some pictures and make a recording if I can of the sound and drone if possible. I don't know if the extra glass on the Wagon, or the larger interior volume, would contribute to the drone. Possibly. But it is definitely there, and definitely annoying right in the rev range for regular around town driving. I use my V as a daily driver, so it is particularly noticeable. The volume is one thing, but the drone added to the volume is not real pleasant. I would say it seems significantly louder than the db readings on the website. That is actually the most annoying thing - outside the car it is not as bad as inside (because you don't notice the drone as much) which makes it even more frustrating.

SecretWeapon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Sedan, M6, Silver/Ebony

Just posted a review of this system in a new thread for those of you who are considering this system for your V. Regards, Mark.

In terms of the fit, I don't think it was a sedan v. wagon issue, unless there are a lot more differences under the car, suspension, tunnel, undertray, diff/axle, than was apparent from going through the factory service manual. Here are the problems I have seen - the tips are maxed out for the space available, and even an 1/8" off lining up the muffler and you have clearance issues. There isn't the clearance as with the stock tips to let stuff move a little. The cat-back/x-pipes/s-pipes are just so large at 3" they hang down much lower than OEM and the tunnel brace won't even come close to going back on, creating clearance issues for driveways/speed bumps that don't exist with the stock one. I will try to use my phone in the next day or two to take some pictures and make a recording if I can of the sound and drone if possible. I don't know if the extra glass on the Wagon, or the larger interior volume, would contribute to the drone. Possibly. But it is definitely there, and definitely annoying right in the rev range for regular around town driving. I use my V as a daily driver, so it is particularly noticeable. The volume is one thing, but the drone added to the volume is not real pleasant. I would say it seems significantly louder than the db readings on the website. That is actually the most annoying thing - outside the car it is not as bad as inside (because you don't notice the drone as much) which makes it even more frustrating.
    The issue with the tips seems like it is in fact a wagon issue. From the quick research that I have done, the wagon openings are smaller than the sedan openings (coming from one of my authorized dealers.) Take a look at the clearance we have on the sedan:

It is true that the exhaust hangs down, but there is only one major area that one might think is a problem, which is right below the IRS. At that point, its probably only a 1.5"-2" lower than the factory exhaust. The rest of the exhaust in front of the axle is tucked up pretty damn good for being a 3" exhaust. I would say it doesnt hang down more than a 1/2" to 3/4" vs stock in the center of the vehicle. Unfortunately I do not have exact measurements, I am just going by my pictures of factory VS. our aftermarket. Keep in mind, this is an aftermarket performance 3" exhaust, as much as we would like to replicate factory lines or clearance, it sometimes just isn't possible. However we come very close!!

We tried everything we can do to keep the 3" tailpipes tucked as close as we can without rubbing. The passenger side has a much larger opening in the IRS than the drivers side does. Also, the axle shaft on the drivers side would rub if we went up any higher.

Take a look at this picture, I circled the piece in the IRS that is shifted to the drivers side that will depict the issue with fitting a 3" exhaust:

Here are some pics that were posted in my original release thread that will show the difference in height:

Normal city driving should not be an issue with our exhaust. If there are pot holes hitting this exhaust, they must be some monster pot holes that might even come in contact with the lower control arm spring bucket. I understand some drive ways are steep and or have a large curb, but they could also come in contact with your control arm spring bucket as well.

I would love to hear a video of the drone you are experiencing. We did not get to test the wagon as I stated, but it could very well have different characteristics than the sedan. Drone is a very subjective matter and everyone has a different concept of what they believe is drone.

Lastly, I am not trying to argue and I apologize if I am coming off a little defensive. We worked extremely hard to put out the best exhaust system one can buy. If there are issues, I want to address them!

Thanks!
    -Anthony

Yes, the Wagon exhaust is definitely different than the sedan exhaust. You will definitely have issues with the tips if you are trying to adapt a sedan exhaust to a wagon. I think all of the other exhaust vendors have separate part numbers for sedan, coupe, and wagon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.