For those tracking their V's - 18inch rim/ track tire combos and sizes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Low_ET
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, For those tracking their V's - 18inch rim/ track tire combos and sizes in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Tracked my bone stock 09 sedan twice on stock rims and Hankook EVO's. Quickly reached the conclusion I need a ...
    jb_bgg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black/Black V, Manual, Recaros, loaded

For those tracking their V's - 18inch rim/ track tire combos and sizes

Tracked my bone stock 09 sedan twice on stock rims and Hankook EVO's. Quickly reached the conclusion I need a second set of wheels with tires better suited for track driving. Seems there's more options and better pricing going with 18" wheels and keeping the stock wheels for everyday street tires.

Looking for opinions and options on reasonably prices wheels (and offsets) and what tires and sizes (front and rear) you're running for track use. I care more about function vs. appearance, and since I drive to these events I'd prefer a street legal tire option vs. track only so I don't have to carry the second set with me. Not ready to go dedicated Hoosier's that only last a few events. Also interested in what suspension mods you've done to improve traction and what if anything you gave up in DD to accomplish that.

So far I've heard some good reviews on Toyo RA1's and Bridgestone RE-11's, but not all coming from V owners. Given the weight we're talking about I wanted to see what those of you who track use, pros and cons, etc. Not looking to spend a great deal on this, but do want better grip and handling that what I'm getting now. Thinking something between $1500-$2000 for wheels and tires should be about right...

As an aside, early in first session Saturday DIC threw two codes: Service Stabilitrack and Check engine light/engine misfire. Never cleared during the day after multiple shutdowns and restarts, but Sunday morning both were no longer displayed. Little different than the random TPMS failures which definitely cramped the speeds some, particularly on the high speed banked turns...

All feedback greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: For those tracking their V's - 18inch rim/ track tire combos and sizes

I bought my TSW Nurburgrings in the 18x9.5" from Discount Tire Direct for less than $1000 shipped. I run non-staggered at the track. I do run Hankook z214 C91s in 275/35 18 which, obviously, is not what you want. NT-01s come in 275/40 18 which would be the best size, but it's $292 a tire so that would be a little over your budget.

Maybe find used NT-01s somewhere?

Low_ET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, Thunder Gray, Auto

There are a couple of 18" wheel options (with photos) in this thread:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ack-tires.html

I use TSW Nurburgring 18"x9.5 wheels (40 mm offset) and Nitto NT05 275-40-18 tires for track days. If you go that route - the Nittos like a lot of tire pressure.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

And yes, you can get a 275 track tire on the front! The V loves all that extra forward bite!

T H E R A P I S T is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10 CTS-V, E60 M5, SL55 AMG

18's clear the OEM front caliper?

Low_ET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, Thunder Gray, Auto

Quote Originally Posted by T H E R A P I S T View Post
    18's clear the OEM front caliper?
    Yes, it clears without a problem using the TSW wheel.

The TSW design has almost the same front caliper clearance as the stock 19" wheels. The reason is that the thickest part of the TSW rim is outboard of the caliper. The stock wheel has the thickest part just above the caliper.

Photo proof:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...k-tires-3.html

HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, White 08 SRX

Just to jump in (opportunistically), I have a couple of Nitto NT-01 275-40-18 tires, almost new (not yet tracked - I sold my 05 before I really had a chance). PM me if interested. On the subject, I had not considered using 18 inch rims and tires on the 09 for a track day. Makes, sense, however, considering the myriad of options available in 18 inch sizes that will not break the wallet.

Yeah, you can find tons of lightly used slicks online in 18". Almost none in 19".

Funny thing, I found a place in MA to fix my out of round stock wheel. These guys also make their own wheels, mostly for BMWs. He threw it out to me that if the Caddy guys were ever interested, he could do a batch of 18" wheels for the V for as little as $200 per if he could get an order of 100 total wheels. 25 sets...

That would be forged wheels, made for the track...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.