Door striker covers melted to exhaust manifold
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Door striker covers melted to exhaust manifold in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So yesterday I was changing the oil in the V, and when I removed the oil cap, I saw a ...
    Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Door striker covers melted to exhaust manifold

So yesterday I was changing the oil in the V, and when I removed the oil cap, I saw a plastic bag with white paper in it and yellow tape sitting on top of my exhaust manifold. WTF!!!

I tried to pull it out and it was stuck. I yanked the bag off and it was door striker covers and instructions on how to install them. The covers were melted to the exhaust manifold and the heat shield. All 4 covers were melted to some extent.

I had to pull real hard to get them off and used a screw driver to chip away the remaining melted plastic.

So I was wondering where this came from, so I removed the passenger side engine cover and I found the tell-tale tape residue of where the bag was taped up.

Maybe someone at the factory, in the final stages of building forgot to install these covers? Or is this a dealer delivery thing??? I dunno. (Build date = 04/10)

So I am asking you guys, do you have the striker covers installed? If not, you might to look underneath your engine cover.

Part number = 13503106 (I don't know if it is quantity 1 or set of 4)

BTW, I was looking at the fuses and I saw a fuse that said "REAR CAMERA". Maybe a retro-fit??
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

IBNR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V (Silver over Black Recaros)

Re: Door striker covers melted to exhaust manifold

Yikes!

The striker covers on my car are properly installed where they belong.

caddynoob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thank you so much for documenting and posting this. You make the Internet and this board great.

To me this is simply unacceptable. As a surgeon, I would be pretty screwed if I leave something behind inside the patient. Sadly incidents like that does happen from time to time in the medical profession. As with cars, poor build quality and quality control could lead to serious accidents which in turn lead to death and injury.

This reminds me of stories about the AMG 5.5L Kompressor motor just dies in the first few hundred miles after delivery. IIRC, few incidents were documented and shared on MBworld board. I wonder if AMG engine builder also left something behind?

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Gotta love the factory quality control on their 70K cars. Plus dealership prep before delivery.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

I believe these are installed by the dealer during the pre-delivery activities. Wouldn't it be great if they were required to go down the PDI list with the buyer and personally initial things off? They're supposed to check all fluid levels also, but several owners have reported low diff fluid level, power steering fluid level, etc.

4gear70 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (MG9)

Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C View Post
    I believe these are installed by the dealer during the pre-delivery activities.
    Yes, I also believe these are a dealer installed item that SHOULD be done during the PDI.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

This thread is kind of scary. So, I checked my car (2009, build 12/08) and the striker covers are all in place. I have changed the oil in my car myself and did not notice any thing unusual under the car or near the exhaust. But then again, I wasn't looking

JFJr is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

Thanks for sharing that! Someone wasn't doing his job and subjected you to a substantial fire hazard. Went out and checked my 12/08 build date car immediately after reading your thread. Fortunately, the covers are in place.

Jud

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The underhood appearance covers are shipped in the trunk of the car, and the baggie with the latch covers is taped to them. The PDI guy at the Dealership is the one responsible for the goof.
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323 (ask for Tony)

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    The underhood appearance covers are shipped in the trunk of the car, and the baggie with the latch covers is taped to them. The PDI guy at the Dealership is the one responsible for the goof.
    Thanks for clarifying, Tony.

I too immediately went out and checked mine (build was April 13, 2010) and everything was as it should be.

Hopefully it should be no big deal for the OP to show the charred remains to the service dept at his dealer, and have them order him up some new ones....maybe even send them to him and let him snap them in place himself to avoid the trip to the dealership and the waiting.....

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

^^^
    Not to mention a new exhaust manifold heat shield...

cbloveday is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Checked mine immediately as well. No baggies with foreign items taped to the engine. Dang

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I will agree with Cadillac Tony. I would suggest taking your vehicle to the dealership and getting this issue resolved. If you run into any problems you can contact me and I will do what I can for you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

mugatu22 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 4-door Escalhate, '08 Corvhate Z06, Ford DuraHate Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    Gotta love the factory quality control on their 70K cars. Plus dealership prep before delivery.

You're not allowed to say that here. The CTS-V is perfect, the best bang for the buck, and has higher QC than BMW or Mercedes

MReiland is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 13 Volt, 2008 Outlook XR (05 CTS Blk/Blk Traded-in)

Quote Originally Posted by mugatu22 View Post
    You're not allowed to say that here. The CTS-V is perfect, the best bang for the buck, and has higher QC than BMW or Mercedes
    Finally, Mugatu is making sense!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.