Coupe is one sexy car.. But the wheels have to go..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Coupe is one sexy car.. But the wheels have to go.. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; The stock 19s look like there off another car. They just don't fit the style of the car at all. ...
    Trans damm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

The stock 19s look like there off another car. They just don't fit the style of the car at all. I'm not a fan of big wheels, I have 20s on my current daily driver and the look nice but I have bent all 4 driving around NY. But the V coupe really needs 21's in the rear with a more aggressive offset to really take advantage of it's amazing styling cues. I would love to see a 21in Z06 spider style for this car. I wish GM would offer an optional wheel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

Re: Coupe is one sexy car.. But the wheels have to go..

21s would just be retarded. In a car this powerful you need a little more meat

Trans damm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Maybe if you plan on dragging the car. I have my Grand National for that. 21s in the rear would be fine for spirited driving. I guess the 20s on the ZR1 are retarted too.

digital1021 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe (Auto)

The 19's are there for a reason, and it's not due to cost cutting. The 19's are forged, and they offer a good mix of being light weight and strength. The style is up to personal taste though. Cadillac added an additional inch to the rear track and widened the rear wheels of the coupe by 1/2 an inch. Going to a 21" wheel would have added additional weight, in unsprung weight, and offered little if anything in increased performance. The rears are already 285/35R19 going to a 21 would have required a 285/25R21 which would have reduced compliance in the side wall and increased the risk of wheel damage. Going to a larger side wall would introduce even more weight. It's always about ballancing form and function.

~ Matt

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
    I guess the 20s on the ZR1 are retarted too.
    I don't think anyone would DD a ZR1, so 20s are not as big of an issue.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Good. You don't want the wheels? Send them my way. I'd love those wider rears on my sedan...

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Same here! Send em over! These lightweight forged wheels are big enough to clear the brakes and put down rubber as designed. Anything bigger is just window dressing.

King335i is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 Thunder Gray CTS-V Coupe

Agreed, aftermarket may be the way to go with the coupe. I can't wait to see a coupe with some wheels!

haterinc is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'm with ya man, go 21s... Don't let the purists hold ya back because not only are most of them not dragging or tracking the car, I doubt they let the V loose normally anyway... But for all of the purist talk, I have yet to see a V in bubble wrap awaiting for that future appreciation. Its a car: drive it, mod it, love it, and when the V3 comes out? Sell it lol

mugatu22 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 4-door Escalhate, '08 Corvhate Z06, Ford DuraHate Diesel.

Purists...realists...whatever you'd like to call it. All of digital's points are valid and smart reasons to stick to the stock size. Companies make aftermarket wheels for a reason; get the different look if you like.

A CTS-V coupe rolling on 21s would look ghetto, but maybe that's the point.

I was trying to point out why the Coupe has the wheel fitments that it does. I have said many times before on this forum "to each their own" when it comes to mods. For me, I have no issue with changing the appearance of the car, but not at the cost of performance. As for anyone else, its your car, do with it as you please.

~ Matt

WheelExecutives is offline Banned

Just waiting for them to roll out so we can do a set...

wfo
    wfo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tuner car fanatic..there all good!

Quote Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
    21s would just be retarded. In a car this powerful you need a little more meat
    The new Camaros are running 20" with aftermarket choices of rear tire widths from 285-335. I'm seeing more frequently upwards of 21"-22" with 295-305 widths and no complaints.

On the other hand. My 09 V sedan sports 21" front and rear in a 295 rear and 255 front width with no issues or complaints. One of Hennessey's own guys just completed a build for his own car with 21" all around.

haterinc is offline Cadillac Owner

Realistically, if you can afford 21s your modded to over-compensate the slight weight increase anyway, plus if you really track or strip it you'll have the appropriate wheels anywa cuz these 19s are for factory show too. I just often get bored with the common blast on putting over-sized wheels on this $6Xk car when its hardly looked down upon in Lambo/Ferrari boards etc... Have some fun w it sheeeesh lol

Quote Originally Posted by haterinc View Post
    Realistically, if you can afford 21s your modded to over-compensate the slight weight increase anyway...
    I fail to see how being able to afford a set of 21's, or 22's for that matter, has anything to do with being modded. While the crowd on this forum could certainly afford to mod their V's and buy 21's, that doesn't really hold true out in other demographics, Impalla on 24's anyone?

You have also seem to miss the point that unsprung weight doesn't effect only the ability to accelerate and decelerate. It also effects the ability of the suspension to maintain contact with the road. As you increase the unsprung weight, spring rates would need to be raised and/or shock rebound settings modified to compensate for the increased inertia from a heavier moving mass. Bound settings for the shocks should also be adjusted accordingly. Granted, this is far more extreem than most would ever go, and you would be hard pressed to notice a degradation of handling in most cases.

... plus if you really track or strip it you'll have the appropriate wheels anywa cuz these 19s are for factory show too...
    I'll give you that there are lighter wheels available in the 19" size, though to really see improvement you would need to go with a custom Carbon Fiber/Aluminum wheel. I might be wrong here, but I doubt that GM would have made the choice to use a forged wheel over a cast wheel if they were just "Factory Show".

... I just often get bored with the common blast on putting over-sized wheels on this $6Xk car when its hardly looked down upon in Lambo/Ferrari boards etc... Have some fun w it sheeeesh lol
    It's all about having the car you want and doing with it what you like. I would venture a guess that most on the Lamborghini and Ferrari forums seldom track their cars or use them to there full potential. For the ones that do, most I would say switch back to the stock fitments for track duty or have the aforementioned Carbon Fiber/Aluminum Wheels. Part of the problem is you have several different types of car people. One type is all about performance, the other is all about aesthetics, while the rest fall somewhere in between.

I am not trying to say that is stupid, foolish, or ghetto to put larger wheels on a car. I have upgraded wheels on several of my past cars, and know some of the trade-offs. If you or anyone else wants to put different wheels on your car, go for it, and more power to you.

~ Matt

Disclaimer: I have not ever taken any of my cars to a dragstrip nor a road corse. I have only enjoyed them to the extent I can with out upsetting the local police force. Though I am hoping that the F1 facility currently scheduled to be built in Austin will have track events for the public...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.