Coupe is one sexy car.. But the wheels have to go.. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Coupe is one sexy car.. But the wheels have to go.. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by digital1021 The 19's are there for a reason, and it's not due to cost cutting. The 19's ...
    aj660 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Coupe (600+rwhp) ; Black Raven, Manual, Recaros

Re: Coupe is one sexy car.. But the wheels have to go..

Quote Originally Posted by digital1021 View Post
    The 19's are there for a reason, and it's not due to cost cutting. The 19's are forged, and they offer a good mix of being light weight and strength. The style is up to personal taste though. Cadillac added an additional inch to the rear track and widened the rear wheels of the coupe by 1/2 an inch. Going to a 21" wheel would have added additional weight, in unsprung weight, and offered little if anything in increased performance. The rears are already 285/35R19 going to a 21 would have required a 285/25R21 which would have reduced compliance in the side wall and increased the risk of wheel damage. Going to a larger side wall would introduce even more weight. It's always about ballancing form and function.

~ Matt
    They could have gone with a 295 35 19..... just my opinion

digital1021 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe (Auto)

Quote Originally Posted by aj660 View Post
    Agreed, I was mainly trying to pointing out the change in aspect ratio.

mugatu22 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 4-door Escalhate, '08 Corvhate Z06, Ford DuraHate Diesel.

Well I am trying to say that 21s are ghetto, so there j/k

The unsprung weight aspect is something I couldn't get away from, when dealing with a sports car/sedan. It's the worst possible place to increase weight, at the ends of the suspension arms. And we're talking significant weight increases w/the plus 1 or 2 size wheels & tires.

But well said, to each his own. It's why we have our cars, to make them the way we want them.

musclesbmf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by mugatu22 View Post
    Purists...realists...whatever you'd like to call it. All of digital's points are valid and smart reasons to stick to the stock size. Companies make aftermarket wheels for a reason; get the different look if you like.

A CTS-V coupe rolling on 21s would look ghetto, but maybe that's the point.
    Obviously you havent seen WFO's car. His car and ghetto are ploar opposites. The 21's are perfect and I realized that was the perfect size after I put 20's on mine that it still needed a little bit more. But hey, to each his own.

Mark

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

I think rear wheels with deep dish look in either an all black or black chrome look would be incredible looking on the coupe (and the sedan), but I don't think deep dishes will work in clearing the large brake calipers while maintaining the correct offset.

tony tone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

here we go again...

i can easily see a custom forged 3 piece wheel sitting perfect with a 21" fitment. ofcourse, a nice drop would be immediately in order.

it's already a done deal. a 21" wheel is the size to go when going custom. it's been proven time and time again with all the exceptional shots that have been provided.

i hate how someone can so easily discourage one's ambition to do something special solely because they do not agree. i guess the 20s on my V1 are the suck as well.

wfo's car is a perfect example (among others).

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
    21s would just be retarded.

The unsprung weight aspect is something I couldn't get away from, when dealing with a sports car/sedan. It's the worst possible place to increase weight, at the ends of the suspension arms. And we're talking significant weight increases w/the plus 1 or 2 size wheels & tires.

But well said, to each his own. It's why we have our cars, to make them the way we want them.

Not sure how this V can be called ghetto or "retarded". His 21s look amazing.

i'll also add that if a true forged application is considered, if your main concern is weight (as it seems for mugatu) i'm willing to bet there's even savings to be considered despite the increase in size.

ronzride is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 V on order

I recently installed forged 20" (Advan) wheels and the wheel\tire combo weighed exactly the same as the stock wheel/tires.......

aj660 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Coupe (600+rwhp) ; Black Raven, Manual, Recaros

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post

Not sure how this V can be called ghetto or "retarded". His 21s look amazing.
    I don't think it looks ghetto, but the 21s are a bit much.....

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by tony tone View Post
    i'll also add that if a true forged application is considered, if your main concern is weight (as it seems for mugatu) i'm willing to bet there's even savings to be considered despite the increase in size.
    That doesn't address rotational mass...

pushing that kind of power, it's a nuisance in my opinion.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by tony tone View Post
    pushing that kind of power, it's a nuisance in my opinion.
    It's not just in how fast you go. Braking, turning suspension efficiency all take a noticeable hit. I wouldn't have thought that much about it until I installed UUC 2 piece rotors on my V1. The steering feel and turn-in had a huge positive affect and was quite pleasant to behold.

I'm not saying don't get larger rims. I wouldn't mind the look myself. However, there are some very tangible benefits by not upsizing to huge rims...

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by digital1021 View Post
    The 19's are there for a reason, and it's not due to cost cutting. The 19's are forged, and they offer a good mix of being light weight and strength. The style is up to personal taste though. Cadillac added an additional inch to the rear track and widened the rear wheels of the coupe by 1/2 an inch. Going to a 21" wheel would have added additional weight, in unsprung weight, and offered little if anything in increased performance. The rears are already 285/35R19 going to a 21 would have required a 285/25R21 which would have reduced compliance in the side wall and increased the risk of wheel damage. Going to a larger side wall would introduce even more weight. It's always about ballancing form and function.
    ~ Matt
    I fail to see why they didn't go 295 in the rear; better height match with the front tires anyways.

Further, there's little reason in my mind why they just don't go with more beef to being with--they put wide-a$$ tires on a Vette, so why not a little more meat on the Caddy?

I refuse to believe the engineers at GM/Caddy couldn't make it work very well with wider tires, rather than the strange decision to go with 285s...

I don't think it looks ghetto, but the 21s are a bit much.....

Lambo doors? Definitely ghetto, but those 21s don't look ghetto. Regardless, they are still a little much.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    It's not just in how fast you go. Braking, turning suspension efficiency all take a noticeable hit. I wouldn't have thought that much about it until I installed UUC 2 piece rotors on my V1. The steering feel and turn-in had a huge positive affect and was quite pleasant to behold.

I'm not saying don't get larger rims. I wouldn't mind the look myself. However, there are some very tangible benefits by not upsizing to huge rims...

This is why I've been very sensitive to going to a larger rim/wheel. The wheel I think I can come in close, but the tire is going to be heavier, almost no matter what.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.