Modified V2 vs. GTR question - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Modified V2 vs. GTR question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; This is a huge game of "ifs." Put the ~$30k price difference between the GTR & ZR1 into the GTR ...
    mugatu22 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 4-door Escalhate, '08 Corvhate Z06, Ford DuraHate Diesel.

Re: Modified V2 vs. GTR question

This is a huge game of "ifs."

Put the ~$30k price difference between the GTR & ZR1 into the GTR in mods (much less the $2k that gets you to crazy levels of performance), and we're back to the GTR running scary times the ZR1 can't touch.

I can't imagine how expensive GM would make the ZR1 if it included AWD or PDK transmission! Ain't gonna happen!

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

Quote Originally Posted by mugatu22 View Post
    This is a huge game of "ifs."

Put the ~$30k price difference between the GTR & ZR1 into the GTR in mods (much less the $2k that gets you to crazy levels of performance), and we're back to the GTR running scary times the ZR1 can't touch.
    And again, you'll have a GT-R costing $107k with no warranty, while the ZR1 will have a full warranty including a 100k mile powertrain warranty.

I can build a Pinto that will blow the doors off a modded GT-R. But what's the point?

I can't imagine how expensive GM would make the ZR1 if it included AWD or PDK transmission! Ain't gonna happen!
    I wouldn't want it to happen. I prefer a traditional manual over a DSG transmission, and while AWD would be great, I would rather have a car that's 500-600 lbs. lighter with RWD, which is what the ZR1 is.

Guru0006 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Actually depending on dealership, many will still honor warranty with a reflash. As for the transmission, only the original Launch control had issues due to trying to launch the car at 4500 RPM. I have this original launch control (although I also have a PPG upgraded 1st gear and shaft to handle the launch). All the cars have since been upgraded to a much safer 3000 RPM launch and times have not changed all that much while improving durability of the trans. No one has broken anything with the new launch control that I have heard of.
    Yes I do realize my internals will have a problem with race gas so I'm going to keep things at 800 WHP or below. If I pop something I build it. I'm prepared for that. Most GTR's with basic mods hover at the 550 WHP range on pump gas. That is basically maxing out the turbos so that is the major limitation. In that respect the V2 has a higher limit as you can make over 600 WHP with the stock blower comfortably. In the end they are quite different in both feel and design. The GTR has better traction, handling and "feels" faster. The V2 has a much nicer ride, comfort, amenities, while delivering plenty of power particularly at higher speeds. Since I am more of a turbo person (just love the feel of turbo boost), the GTR was for me. The V2 was a very very close 2nd choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06ified View Post
    Plan on investing a LOT of money, because if you think the stock internals of that little 3.7L or the entire drivetrain can handle 1,150 hp with no modification, think again.

True, but that's also an $85k+ car with no warranty. At 129 mph trap speed, that must be pushing close to 650hp at the crank, so obviously that reflash turns the boost up a lot. It gets a lot more expensive than $2000 when the transmission, clutches, diff, transfer case, and engine get lunched.

Not for nothing, but these GT-R fish tales are beginning to sound like the old MKIV Supra Turbo stories all over again. Remember those? Just pull a hose off for $20, and you'll beat any Lambo ever created and change the rotation of the earth... riiiiggghhhhtttttt....

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

DrumStix is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I used to have a 4X4 pickup that was quick as hell from 0-50 in low. It's all about mechanical advantage and gearing. Careful what you ask for, GM might just surprise you soon.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

yea I was reaaaaaaaaaaallly hoping for an awd cts-v wagon in a 6spd manual

digital1021 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe (Auto)

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham CTS-V View Post
    At a private track rental, the ZR1 went high 10's and was trapping 130mph+. It's a complete monster and if you look at the stats, it's easy to see why. It's also about $40 grand more than the GT-R. 2 totally different cars at a different price range. Still, I got nothin' but respect for the ZR1.

It'll take a handful of mods and money to make a GT-R beat a ZR1 in a real race. The following is an example of a GT-R that'll spank a ZR1 but after you get done with all the mods, the price is probably right around the ZR1's MSRP.

YouTube- SPE Nissan GT-R's Drag Racing running 9's at 148-150 MPH

Anyway, back to the OT. I do think a modded V can beat a bone stock GT-R on a highway roll as long as the V has traction. I had very little traction with my modded V and it was hard for me to get all the power down. The GT-R's strength is it's traction. The V also has an instant jump while the GT-R has turbos that have very little lag, but it is there compared to the V's supercharged torque. Make sure your tires are sticky enough, the roads are in good condition, and that the car isn't overheated and I think the modded V will put a smackdown on the GT-R. $2k in the GT-R though (midpipe and cobb accessport) and you're in trouble.

Did any other ex, or current, V1 owners watch this and get shivers when they heard the wheel hop.

~ Matt

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

yeaaaaaaaaaa but the GTR will never be a sleeper and will attract the police like a hippie in sturgis

UAEmonster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Ok, sorry for my late reply

This reply might be useful for u, to hear an experience is always better than just hear thoughts …

We own both cars .. (1st CTS-V in middle east, and one of the first GTRs in the country ) , both cars are simply GREAT , but they are different .. Actually you can't compare them .. GTR is a super sport car , massive power specially from 0 .. Very aggressive with sporty and harsh felling in driving while the CTS-V is a sedan with 2 more doors and more room.. + It has a great power too ….

That is something you have to choose .. CTS-V is more comfortable while the GTR of course is sportier so its a matter of choice.. and as i told you both cars are GREAT

And about which is faster , Upgraded V or GTR ??

We tried them STOCK rolling to 300 km/h, and the result was about 4 cars length for the GTR.

However it should be at the same level after u upgrade the CTS-V, I didn’t try myself yet coz my V is not ready yet. sure ill give it a try to see the difference on my V ..

Hope that helps , and feel free to ask about anything you want regarding both cars ..

UAEmonster

Guru0006 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Nice to hear from someone who owns both. My experience was limited to a couple of extended test drives in the V2. Yes for sure stock v. stock the GTR is for sure faster. 480 HP my butt. It makes more than that stock while having a SLIGHT weight advantage on the V2. I raced a stock one (or at least thought it was stock) on the highway. I pulled on him very easily from a 70 MPH roll but then again I'm not stock so doesn't say much.

v4meinsandiego is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by UAEmonster View Post

And about which is faster , Upgraded V or GTR ??

We tried them STOCK rolling to 300 km/h, and the result was about 4 cars length for the GTR.

However it should be at the same level after u upgrade the CTS-V

UAEmonster
    4 car lengths stock is a pretty big smack down. I am glad to hear though from a current owner of both that modifiying the V will put them in the same league, and with more comfort and 2 more doors.

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    yea I was reaaaaaaaaaaallly hoping for an awd cts-v wagon in a 6spd manual

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.