question about W4M tune and KPE intake. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, question about W4M tune and KPE intake. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; If someone can independently verify a 20+ RWHP gain I'll buy one. Until then, I'm not "buying it"....
    Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Post Re: question about W4M tune and KPE intake.

If someone can independently verify a 20+ RWHP gain I'll buy one. Until then, I'm not "buying it".

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: question about W4M tune and KPE intake.

Thank you for your input, Jesse! As always, very informative. I await your KPE intake-modded tune. Travel safely...did someone have you tune their car in the UK?

In the meantime, I plan to do a before and after dyno. I'm also buying it primarily for the polished look and feel rather than a potential 24 hp gain without further tuning. If I get a few more hp, all the better.

RemoWilliams is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I'm curious to see what others find with independent dynos. I got the KPE intake for looks, sound, reusable filter, MPG gain potential. If I got a little more power that would be cool too. I was not expecting to get 24 rwhp though.

After installing it I do feel some more power. How much I don't know.

Jeffrey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Vrocks View Post
    If someone can independently verify a 20+ RWHP gain I'll buy one. Until then, I'm not "buying it".
    Hi,

I continue to publically doubt you will see 24 more horses on most independent testing. I added an Airaid to my Vette and picked up approximately 8 horses. Most people with the KPE have stated that they immediately heard their S/C more. I think a 12 h.p. addition, given the S/C, may be a more realistic expectation. So, I bought one. How else can I easily add horses for $30 per?

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Jeffrey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RemoWilliams View Post
    After installing it I do feel some more power. How much I don't know.
    Hi,

Do you really think you could feel a mere 1% increase in horsepower? I know I could not! I suspect most people would need to at least pickup an additional 10 horses to truly feel a difference. I felt no difference when I added around 8 horses to my Vette.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    ...The inlet isnt that bad of a restriction in stock form...
    Back in the early days of CTS-V2 mods, you posted somewhere that a CAI was only marginally better than a modded stock airbox up to about 600 HP. Above that, you said the stock intake tube would collapse under WOT. Was that 600 RWHP?

Mike 09 V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 SRX; 09 V

Last week I started a thread with a question related to dyno runs and heat soak and horsepower variations with the heat. The consensus seemed to be that it wouldn't make much difference. I didn't state the reason why I asked the question, but it was related to this conversation. We have a respected tuner saying that with no air kit-just open tube- you will get 6 HP and there is no possibility that you could get more with any CAI kit, basically since with restriction (as there would be with any filter in the way) you can't make more power than with no restriction. This is a compelling argument. Yet we have another respected vendor claiming a HP increase in the 20+ HP range. I pointed out in one thread that the gain was only 18HP according to the dyno sheet and the responder showed an area on the chart where there was in fact a higher gain. This is in a very narrow range however, and personally I think that the lower figure would be the more accurate number since it is unlikely we can run at that specific RPM range to realize the higher gain. It's irrelevant anyway, Their CAI seems to be a beautiful piece and worth the money. Back to my first sentence. The dyno sheet presented shows the higher HP run with the CAI came BEFORE the stock run. Hence my question about the heat. It seemed possible that higher heat on the second run would drop the HP, this would account for the difference between the two vendors estimates. Or not.
    Mike

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by RemoWilliams View Post
    MPG gain potential.
    Please do note any mileage gain. I certainly plan to upon installation. In other cars with CAI I've gotten a mpg or two better. In this car, even that much adds to the range. (Can I gripe here again about how we need just ONE extra gallon in the tank? )

Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 09 V View Post
    Last week I started a thread with a question related to dyno runs and heat soak and horsepower variations with the heat. The consensus seemed to be that it wouldn't make much difference. I didn't state the reason why I asked the question, but it was related to this conversation. We have a respected tuner saying that with no air kit-just open tube- you will get 6 HP and there is no possibility that you could get more with any CAI kit, basically since with restriction (as there would be with any filter in the way) you can't make more power than with no restriction. This is a compelling argument. Yet we have another respected vendor claiming a HP increase in the 20+ HP range. I pointed out in one thread that the gain was only 18HP according to the dyno sheet and the responder showed an area on the chart where there was in fact a higher gain. This is in a very narrow range however, and personally I think that the lower figure would be the more accurate number since it is unlikely we can run at that specific RPM range to realize the higher gain. It's irrelevant anyway, Their CAI seems to be a beautiful piece and worth the money. Back to my first sentence. The dyno sheet presented shows the higher HP run with the CAI came BEFORE the stock run. Hence my question about the heat. It seemed possible that higher heat on the second run would drop the HP, this would account for the difference between the two vendors estimates. Or not.
    Mike
    I was also wondering about the stock dyno run coming AFTER the CAI run....

Either way- I'm going to try and get a good before/after comparison at the shop down the street.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.