Installed KPE Intake Tonight
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Installed KPE Intake Tonight in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Well, I just got back from my first test drive with the KPE CAI. The verdict....I am actually quite surprised.. ...
    TMC CL65 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V '09 GT-R

Installed KPE Intake Tonight

Well, I just got back from my first test drive with the KPE CAI. The verdict....I am actually quite surprised.. as in pleasantly surprised. I am going to preface my comments with a little history about me and mods. I have a very conservative seat of the pants. I don't trust myself and never... ever speculate about hp without a dyno to back it up. On my CL65 I gained 56+ rwhp on a tune...however before that dyno proof I wouldn't let myself believe any # before I actually tested it. I was also surprised by the 56rwhp figure, as it the post tuned car really didn't feel that much faster.

So tonight when I drove the CTS-V with KPE CAI, I was only doing it to make sure the CEL didn't come on and to to see if I could hear any noticeable difference in the intake (I had a K&N drop-in filter in right before the CAI install). No CEL (thank God) and the intake sound is screaming loud now (which I like). Howver, the biggest surprise...the one I never suspected... was that my car actually felt significantly faster. I had very similar sensation of accelerative force that my CL65 gave me. The kind that you can actually feel the g-force on your cheeks (the ones on your face...not the SOTP) under WOT. I was kind of shocked.

However, before I give 100% credit to KPE I also have a theory. I had the battery disconnected for nearly 4 hours. Yes, the install took me that much time. I was so excited to come home tonight from work and install it that I started at 6:30PM. I had some niggling issues (afraid to pop the MAF in too hard). I also didin't park the car in a well lit area as I didn't think I was going to take too long. This error in judgement alone cost me over an hour trying to maneuver with a flash light tucked between shoulder and head while working the tools (I could probably easily do in under 2 hours without lighting issue and experience). Anyway, my point is that when I had my custom exhaust installed, it is now apparent that they never disconnected the battery. I also think the dealer that sold me the car put under 93 octane in the tank. I know the exhaust installer didn't disconnect the battery because I never had to reset the clock. There is no way that they would have done that especially because they were trying to rush at the end of the day to get me the car back. So I think that the battery reset helped the ECU tables adjust to the exhaust, CAI and the much better quality gas. There is no other way to explain the results of my test drive.

I still don't want to speculate on a hp # (I dynoed 462rwho on a Dynojet completely stock with automatic) but I guess I formulated my theory above because the test drive told me it was more than the KPE claimed increase. To paraphrase Shakespeare... "get thee to a Dynanometer!!!".

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

readyact is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Re: Installed KPE Intake Tonight

TMC CL65 I hear ya I installed the KPE CAI two days ago (1 hour 20 minutes install time) and took off on a little test drive just like you in order to check for the dreaded CEL. I didn't drive far as I had to go to work and since it was about to rain I decided to take my second car to work. Just from my short drive with the new CAI like you I instantly noticed an increase in HP, but I tempered my excitement and chalked it up to being a mental thing since Bob at KPE said it will take about 40 miles for the car to relearn the air intake. I agree with you the engine noise is a lot more audible as you can hear the air being sucked in and the supercharger is screaming loud. Next few days are supposed to be great around here so I will be able to get out and really test the mod.

Titaniumseeker is offline Performance Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS, 2009 CTS-V, 2012 CLS550

TMC CL65, you took the car out in the evening with all that cool night air being sucked in so naturally you felt the immediate difference. Now take it out and really drive it during the day. You will still not be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumseeker View Post
    TMC CL65, you took the car out in the evening with all that cool night air being sucked in so naturally you felt the immediate difference. Now take it out and really drive it during the day. You will still not be disappointed.
    I drove it today and it still felt very strong even with a passenger aboard. Also, last night was not particularly cool. The temperature gauge was reading 70+ degrees and it was very humid. I had driven the car in the low 50s last week and it felt nowhere near as strong as it has after the install.

Tom

RemoWilliams is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I just installed my KPE intake tonight. The CAI kit was really quality. Install went smooth, about 1.5 hours for me.

After the install I took the car out. No error lights/codes. Love the induction noise and the supercharger whine. The car did feel a bit stronger. Love it!

Now I will work on the wife for more performance mods. I think exhaust next.

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by TMC CL65 View Post
    and the intake sound is screaming loud now (which I like).
    Please elaborate! In-cabin engine noise at WOT? Supercharger whine? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tony

gnxs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
    Please elaborate! In-cabin engine noise at WOT? Supercharger whine? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tony
    Yes, you'll hear the supercharger whine more in the cabin with any full intake setup. Half the crap GM put around the intake is to quiet the sound that gets through to the cabin. Mine might even be more noticable since the exhaust is stock:

http://chicagosvt.com/misc/byron0501...-ctsvincar.wmv

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

You haven't been the first to say that after disconnecting your battery your car runs much stronger after a mod. I'm very curious because over the course of a few miles the V should adjust on its own but it seems like even a few hundred miles of driving the V still doesnt adjust as properly as if you disconnected the battery for a bit. Anyone chime in on this ?

Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by gnxs View Post
    Yes, you'll hear the supercharger whine more in the cabin with any full intake setup. Half the crap GM put around the intake is to quiet the sound that gets through to the cabin. Mine might even be more noticable since the exhaust is stock:

http://chicagosvt.com/misc/byron0501...-ctsvincar.wmv
    Just as Gnxs said, at WOT the supercharger is very...very audible in the cabin. My exhaust is pretty loud (custom 3" catback, deleting secondary cats going into Vibrant 3" inlet/outlet Ultra Quiet resonators used as mufflers). I can hear the high pitched whine above the exhaust at WOT. Personally, I love it!

Tom

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Not that I don't want some more supercharger whine, but I'm mostly interested if the in-cabin engine noise has been significantly increased. One of my least favorite things about the V is the lack of engine presence inside the passenger compartment. It's WAY too quiet and subdued for me.

Tony

Not that I don't want some more supercharger whine, but I'm mostly interested if the in-cabin engine noise has been significantly increased. One of my least favorite things about the V is the lack of engine presence inside the passenger compartment. It's WAY too quiet and subdued for me.

Tony
    Unless you go WOT, you aren't going to hear too much more noise in the cabin. But WOT (especially if the auto just kicked down) you will hear the full on supercharger whine.

But guess what?! I got a fever...and the only prescription is ... more cowbell (i.e. supercharger whine)!!

Tom

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.