KPE Cold Air Intake - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, KPE Cold Air Intake in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ...
    TMC CL65 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V '09 GT-R

Re: KPE Cold Air Intake

Quote Originally Posted by David@AIRAID View Post
    Gentleman,

I am not trying to step on Bob / KPE’s toes, but I would like to add some important information to this discussion about “Oiled” and “Dry” filters.

First the whole concern about the “oil” contaminating a MAF sensor is a “Myth” as it’s never been proven to be a cause of failure. GM does not have a way of testing the MAF sensor and they use the Oil “Myth” to attempt to get out of doing warranty work.

When dealing with air filters you need to keep in mind that not all Cotton gauze filters are created equal.

The AIRAID Premium Filter is designed with 4 layers of cotton gauze and then we incorporate a 5th layer of Synthetic material that we call “Synthaflow”. The main advantages of our Cotton/Synthetic blend filter over a traditional “Cotton” only filter is that our combination allows for far superior filtration, and it will NOT ALLOW any oil to penetrate through the 5th layer, so there are not any issues with any oil getting close to any of the sensors.

The AIRAID Premium filter offers the best combination of airflow and filtration of any performance filter on the market today!

All AIRAID premium filters are also hand made here in our PHX, AZ manufacturing plant and they are all backed by a Lifetime “No-Hassle” Warranty!

For the members who still prefer not to run a “oiled” filter, AIRAID will be offering our new “Non-Oiled” SYNTHAMAX filter in the very near future that will be available for purchase as a direct replacement air filter. Just keep in mind, the performance will be a bit less with a “Non-Oiled” filter as they flow less air than the cotton / synthetic version.

Any other questions please feel free and let me know.

Thanks,
    David
    David:

Thank you for taking the time to provide an extremely informative post. It was greatly appreciated! I look forward to enjoying your high quality product in the near future.

Tom

IBNR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V (Silver over Black Recaros)

David, thanks from me as well for a great and informative post. Please rest assured, I hear you and I understand you and I even think you are correct. I've made many of the same arguments (and others besides) in the past on other forums justifying my years of trouble-free and highly satisfactory use of "oiled" filters in pretty much every other car I've ever owned, even our family minivans.

And then...well, a Very Bad Thing happened to my Mercedes E500. The MAF failed, which in turn (due to the overly-complex induction system Mercedes "engineered" into that car) caused the much-more-expensive electronic throttle body assembly to fail. Why did this happen? Truthfully, I simply do not know for sure. Could have been age, wear, bad luck, or any combination thereof, who knows. But it did happen shortly after I (re)installed a set of "oiled" filters into the airbox. Did a true cause/effect relationship exist here? Or was this a classic case of the "post hoc ergo propter hoc" logical fallacy at work? Again, I don't know.

In the interest of full disclosure, I fully admit the following:

1. The oiled filters in my E500 were K&Ns (a brand I have used for years without incident); and

2. It happened after I personally cleaned the filters, re-oiled them and put them back in the airbox.

Considering that the car ran fine with the K&Ns in place for literally a couple of years before this happened (they were installed when I bought the car from the prior owner), frankly my best guess is simply that I botched the cleaning/re-oiling procedure and sprayed on too much oil before putting them back in. I'll take that responsibility, but it still means that even when I tried very hard to follow the provided instructions to the letter I apparently cannot be relied upon to properly clean and re-oil a filter that is expressly intended by the manufacturer to be cleaned and re-oiled by the end user! This has made me reluctant to repeat the experience.

That was, and is, my only point in this entire exchange, nothing more. Maybe various other posters are correct, that oiled filters can and should be treated as disposable and therefore replaced by factory-fresh versions anytime a change is required. But that does not seem to be Airaid's intent, and it's surely not K&N's.

So, in the end: I'm happily signed up for Bob's group buy on the CAI; I will buy it for sure and it will come to me with an Airaid oiled filter and a "recharge kit" besides. But will I install the kit on my brand-new 2010 V with less than 2,000 miles with an oiled filter? At this point, I just do not know the answer to that question. But one thing's for sure: Free recharge kit or not, if I do install the supplied Airaid filter, I won't be cleaning and re-oiling it in the future. I've already proven (to myself anyway) that's beyond me.

Thanks again!

Jeffrey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by David@AIRAID View Post
    The main advantages of our Cotton/Synthetic blend filter over a traditional “Cotton” only filter is that our combination allows for far superior filtration, and it will NOT ALLOW any oil to penetrate through the 5th layer, so there are not any issues with any oil getting close to any of the sensors.

Any other questions please feel free and let me know.

Thanks,
    David
    Hi David,

I recently installed an Airaid in my '09 Vette and I'm buying one for my '09 CTS-V, so I want to make sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that even if I apply excessive oil to the Airaid filter during cleaning/re-oiling, there is no chance any of the oil could penetrate through the Airaid filter and reach any of the sensors?

Thank you for your assistance and great products!

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Thanks for the info, David.

RapidRob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Quote Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
    So, in the end: I'm happily signed up for Bob's group buy on the CAI; I will buy it for sure and it will come to me with an Airaid oiled filter and a "recharge kit" besides. But will I install the kit on my brand-new 2010 V with less than 2,000 miles with an oiled filter? At this point, I just do not know the answer to that question. But one thing's for sure: Free recharge kit or not, if I do install the supplied Airaid filter, I won't be cleaning and re-oiling it in the future. I've already proven (to myself anyway) that's beyond me.

Thanks again!
    My feelings as well - I may, or may not end up using the filter that is included with the kit. If I don't, I will find another non-oiled alternative to use. This kit is the best designed example I've seen so far, and that is why I'm on the group-buy list.

Rob

RemoWilliams is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I was too excited for my first performance mod I ordered my CAI today at the current 10% group by discount. This afternoon it looks like only 4 more orders are needed for the extra 5% off.

The KPE intake is exactly what I was looking for. I like the look of Medal tube intakes, but don't the the heat soak from the metal. The plastic is more insulating. Really like the heat shield as well.

David's explanation of the filter was great. I think I'll stick with the AirRaid filter and see how it goes. I have seen oily build up on the inside of other CAI tubes. I will check to see if that happens with this one.

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

FWIW, I think I over-oiled the K&N on my Camaro a number of years ago and it fouled up the MAF. The car was feeling a little sluggish on the SOTP meter...
    I took out the MAF and (very, very gingerly) cleaned the MAF wires with isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip. The Q-tip was not a pretty color after this exercise.
    Took the car to the strip the following week and I set a new PB, lopping off a full 0.20 sec. from my previous best.

I've subsequently discovered that there are far less risky ways to clean off your MAF wires!!

Best regards,

Elie

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Quote Originally Posted by garfin View Post
    FWIW, I think I over-oiled the K&N on my Camaro a number of years ago and it fouled up the MAF. The car was feeling a little sluggish on the SOTP meter...
    I took out the MAF and (very, very gingerly) cleaned the MAF wires with isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip. The Q-tip was not a pretty color after this exercise.
    Took the car to the strip the following week and I set a new PB, lopping off a full 0.20 sec. from my previous best.

I've subsequently discovered that there are far less risky ways to clean off your MAF wires!!

Best regards,

Elie
    You must be a surgeon huh????????

asabase is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I've cleaned and oiled a K&N on my 300C. It is an easy process, but it is very easy to over oil the filter if you try and get every last pleat sprayed since you'll end up overspraying the ones next to it. The 300C doesn't have a MAF sensor to ruin, so I never had problems one way or the other. Next time I do it, I'd try a lighter spray, let the filter sit overnight to soak and even it out and wipe off any extra.

David@AIRAID is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Hi David,

I recently installed an Airaid in my '09 Vette and I'm buying one for my '09 CTS-V, so I want to make sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that even if I apply excessive oil to the Airaid filter during cleaning/re-oiling, there is no chance any of the oil could penetrate through the Airaid filter and reach any of the sensors?

Thank you for your assistance and great products!

Best regards,
    Jeffrey
    Hello Jeffrey,

I would never recommend applying “excessive” oil ever as the filter just does not need it.

One the filter is dry from cleaning, you simply spray a layer of oil on the outside of the new filter and allow the oil to wick through the filter and dry. Once the filter is dry, if you see any “White” spots on the filter it means you missed a spot. Gently go over any “White” spots on the filter, let it completely dry and then you are ready to re install the filter.

Thanks,
    David

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

hey KPE, you guys think that a ported ls2 throttle body would work well with your intake ?

KPE
    KPE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 2010 CTS Sportwagon, 2013 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    hey KPE, you guys think that a ported ls2 throttle body would work well with your intake ?
    IMO I think that it would work well, but have no testing or data with a KPE air intake used with a ported ls2 throttle body to back up my opinion.

Bob

IPF Tuning - KPE Products
    888.222.4291 Office
    Sales@KPE-Products.com
    www.KPE-Products.com
    www.IPF-Tuning.com

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

One other question about the intake.

What is the diameter of the tube? 3"? 4"? Thanks.

KPE
    KPE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 2010 CTS Sportwagon, 2013 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by anonfrank View Post
    One other question about the intake.

What is the diameter of the tube? 3"? 4"? Thanks.
    The intake tube is contoured with an inner diameter that progressively changes from 3.89” to 4.136”.

Best regards,

Bob

IPF Tuning - KPE Products
    888.222.4291 Office
    Sales@KPE-Products.com
    www.KPE-Products.com
    www.IPF-Tuning.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.