Finally My CTSV is in my garage. Detailed review below for everyone. - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Finally My CTSV is in my garage. Detailed review below for everyone. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by up4speed M5DriverNY I'm also in NY, I live on Long Island. I need a very honest opinion ...
    commander112 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan White/Recaro/Manual/Polished

Re: Finally My CTSV is in my garage. Detailed review below for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by up4speed View Post
    M5DriverNY
    I'm also in NY, I live on Long Island. I need a very honest opinion from you. I am looking into buying a new sports sedan in the next few months and the CTS-V is on the short list because the performance numbers are very convincing. My only worry is that I am VERY sensitive to creaks and rattles. For an example I also have Porsche and I had a slight ticking/rattle from the soft top and I spent DAYS on trying to quiet it up! I almost decided to sell the car for that reason alone!! So my question is: Should I avoid the CTS-V or should I hope I'm one of the owners with no rattles, or one of the owners with fixable rattles? I'm also a little suspicious that the people with no rattles may actually have them, but not be sensitive to them like I am and never hear them. What do you think? be honest......Is the car worth risking or not? If not, what car would you recommend that would be fast, comfortable, quiet and good quality for under $75K (if it even exists)
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Please allow me to speak for M5, save up more sheckles and buy a German car (not that they are really any better, as my old 5 series made noises too). You won't be satisfied just like M5 appears not to be. It seems that a certain percentage of the population still feels that the American product is not up to the level of the foreign brands when, in reality, that old stereotype has died years ago. If you are coming into the experience with the mindset that the product, dealer or service is inferior you are doomed to be an unhappy buyer. Now, if you come into the process with the mindset that the car will deliver upon the promise of great performance at a reasonable price with acceptable build quality you may just find that you will be happy behind the wheel of the finest American sedan to date.
    I am also pretty sensitive to creaks, rattles and in general things that are out of order (in other words "anal"). I love my V and now that I have quieted down the noise from the sunroof trim ring can live with the few other sounds as they are not right above my ear. The car does "talk" to you sometimes though. I will say that our huge 2010 Dodge Ram pickup without a sunroof is totally silent and makes no interior noises at all at 6300 miles on it.
    I don't know what it is but every car I drive with a sunroof makes more noise. I do get to drive a fair amount of rental cars a month and can say that even cheaper rentals without sunroofs are simply more solid sounding and quieter than their counterparts with sunroofs. That said, I want a sunroof on my car but also want it to be quiet. I find that when I get a loaner CTS, STS or SRX without a roof the cars in general are quiet like a library but there is something about cutting that hole in the roof that makes all the difference in the world.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

my old jeep srt8 was silent as a graveyard. My V creaks and croaks and squeeks. It is what it is. Nothing can be perfect.

gnxs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Up4speed,

It sounds like you might be better off passing on the "V".

up4speed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

commander,
    Thanks for the reply. I am glad that you are sensitive to noises as well, it makes your advice MUCH more credible. I already have come to the conclusion that if I did go with the V, I would pass on the sunroof being that most sound issues that I've read on here are related to the sunroof. If I want open air driving, I'll just drive my convertible. I unfortunately have been one of those guys that have been bitten several times by american cars and swore off american cars. That is of course until the Pontiac G8 came out, that was the first american car in a while that I would have purchased (actually it's Austrian), too bad they stopped making it, the GXP was a great deal and nice looking! then came the new CTS-V which is an absolute monster, georgous, and the best american car ever made to date (in my eyes of course). That is why I am willing to maybe give them another chance. I've had many cars, the american ones that I've had definitely looked great, but I can safely say that the build quality or feel did not even come close to the Germans or the Japanese that I've owned. I would be buying this car because I WANT it, not because I need it, I have plenty of cars. I was just looking to buy myself a nice gift and not a headache! Please give me input on this. I really want this car, but I think I need that reassurance that these creaks and rattles I read about are part of the minority and not the majority. I sold a Vette that I had in the past because of rattles that annoyed me. I live in a place with very imperfect roads and a rattle can grate at my nerves in a day or two! I want to make an informed choice and not a choice because the salesperson tells me it's a great car, or the car magazines telling me it's great based on performance. I already know all that stuff, now I want to know is it going to be a car I can live with on a daily basis or is going to pi** me off enough to sell it and take a 20K loss? Please help!!!

GNXS,
    Please give me a recommendation. Are there any cars that would fit what I am looking for? I realize that they are not going to be as fast, but I'm willing to give up 1 second to 60mph to get a rattle free car.

Razorecko,
    I realize nothing can be perfect, but I would like it to be pretty darn close. For example, my fathers LS460 is absolutely SILENT. It IS PERFECT for what it was designed to do, obviously I want performance, so that is not the right car for me, but I hope you understand what I am asking for........basically a CTSV with the quality interior of a Lexus! Am I asking too much?

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

GNXS,
    Please give me a recommendation. Are there any cars that would fit what I am looking for? I realize that they are not going to be as fast, but I'm willing to give up 1 second to 60mph to get a rattle free car.

Razorecko,
    I realize nothing can be perfect, but I would like it to be pretty darn close. For example, my fathers LS460 is absolutely SILENT. It IS PERFECT for what it was designed to do, obviously I want performance, so that is not the right car for me, but I hope you understand what I am asking for........basically a CTSV with the quality interior of a Lexus! Am I asking too much?
    I noticed that the v's are hit or miss. You either get a nice quiet one or a loud one but the fact is its almost always louder in the summer. So if its quiet in the summer it should be good. I bought mine in the winter and in the summer it made more noticeable noise

gnxs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

GNXS,
    I don't have direct knowledge of every car that might be on your perspective wish list, but I do know from a multitude of posts/threads on this forum that this car could very well exceed your threshold for noises. Here's one I contributed my own experience to a while back that might be of interest to you (from a research perspective):

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ty-issues.html

The OP starts off with Fit and Finish issues, but the thread evolves to include rattles, noises, etc. There have been many discussions on these types of subjects here that you can search on. Then again, the are many threads of a similar nature on the M5board, the MB/AMG boards, etc., so I'm not really sure what kind of car would meet your standards in this area (it's hard to get a feel from just one post on your part).

I'm not nearly as sensitive as alot of people to the little issues I may need to fix on this car. For me the capability/price point combination on the "V" allows me to overlook some minor correctable issues I may need to address. However, when I saw your post, specifically:

My only worry is that I am VERY sensitive to creaks and rattles. For an example I also have Porsche and I had a slight ticking/rattle from the soft top and I spent DAYS on trying to quiet it up! I almost decided to sell the car for that reason alone!!
    ....I surmised that you very well could get a car that exceeded your self-admitted low tolerance for creaks, groans, rattles, noises, etc. Hence my suggestion that you might want to pass on the "V".

commander112 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan White/Recaro/Manual/Polished

up4speed,
    I live in Detroit where we have perhaps the worst roads in the country (far worse than Long Island as I used to live in East Hampton/Manhattan) so I can say that our roads will bring out the worst in a car quickly. This said, the build quality and materials in a new CTS-V far exceeds that of a Corvette (owned two C4's) and anything that the big three has made in years past. Don't let the ghosts in the closet of past big three product cloud your impression of what they have been building in recent years. In my opinion (pretty in tune with all things automotive if I do say so myself-my automobile company friends put their upcoming product in my hands often so I can give them my opinion) and my wife's opinion (who is not at all in tune with this stuff), the American stuff is currently better than the competing foreign stuff. We rented a Camry out in California a few months ago and she even commented on the road noise and rattles. Dollar for dollar a Ford Fusion or Chevy Malibu is a much nicer and better built car these days than the Camry period.
    Let me make this suggestion to you, go to your local caddy store and test drive a well equipped USED CTS without a sunroof. Ignore the equipment and the power but listen to the car, get a feel for the interior (make sure it has the pop-up nav since some have heard noises from theirs). See if you can live with it. If the car lives up to your build quality standards step to the plate and drive a V.
    Does my car make a noise here and there? Yes. However, the noises are far enough removed that they do not bother me. If they did bother me I'd track them down and fix them (I'm quite confident it can be done with a minimum of effort). I find that when I let a dealer fix a noise they fix one and create one when replacing the panels.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer to my "fears" lol. It looks like a test drive is in order for me. Since I am in no rush to order this car, I like the idea of test driving one in the summer that is a few years old.
    I don't want you guys to attack/laugh at me, but does anyone have any experience with the new Infinity M56? I looked at the interior and it is absolutely beautiful. It has over 400hp so it's not too shabby, not even close to the V though. I have had pretty good luck with Nissans in the past, but I wonder if the M56 would have "issues" as well? I prefer the looks of the V though. I think it looks more timeless and more aggressive.

Just an additional thought. Is there a pattern of vehicles that have these rattle issues vs. the ones that don't? Such as production dates. Are there any problems with the 2010's rattling or are those issues only with the earlier production 2009's?

Also even more important. Did anyone have any rattle issues that were not fixable? If these issues are all fixable, it wouldn't bother me as much and I would be more likely to purchase. I have had cars in the past with noise issues that were not fixable because nobody could find the source of the noise. Those had to be sold for noise issues alone! I may be a little crazy and anal.....but hey I'm just being honest.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

Are there any problems with the 2010's rattling or are those issues only with the earlier production 2009's?
    My 2009 was built in 12/08 and is not noisy. Initially, I experienced a faint "rattle" coming from the rear package tray/speaker area and some front wheel clicking, both of which were fixed over a year ago under TSB's. Occasionally, I might hear a slight amount of noise from the sunroof when it's hot outside, but it's not persistent. (My 2005 CTS-V's sunroof never made any noise.) I would expect the "V" to be more prone to some minor noises than the standard CTS because of the higher g-loads the body is subjected to under aggressive driving, due to much greater torque and cornering capability. You have to be realistic about these things at the price point you are interested in. You know where most of the money was spent.

mbshoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

My 2009, build 12/08 is full of rattles. Sunroof, package shelf, dashboard sometimes. Plus, any time I drive over the lip at the end of a driveway, especially if at an angle as I turn right onto a street, everything creaks as the body flexes. All you have to do is push anywhere on the console, and you can hear squeaking from the joints. The package shelf is so loud, it's embarrassing.

I fully admit I haven't given a dealer the chance to address the sunroof or package shelf. Too many horror stories of incompetent dealers (I really liked the one that helpfully rotated the wheels without noticing they aren't the same size).

upland, you likely aren't going to be happy, so save yourself the hassle. You're going into this expecting problems, and that's what will happen. Am I disappointed? Sure, my 2000 Audi A6 with 129,000 miles is still solid as a rock with nary a peep. Am I happy I got a rip-snorting vehicle that's the most fun I've ever had on four-wheels at a price the Germans can't even begin to touch (and other than M5 can't even offer in the US with a manual transmission)? Absolutely! Would I do it again? Absolutely!

It's a bummer that my car makes so much noise. But, life isn't perfect. If a few squeaks are the worst complaint I have 5 years from now, I will be a very happy camper. In the meantime, I hope that Caddy learns how to build an interior without having hard pieces of plastic touching each other.

digital1021 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe (Auto)

GNXS,

Razorecko,
    The BMW's and Merc's rattle an creak just like the CTS-V. Some more than others, some not at all.

I think you would be better served by the Lexus IS-F. Sure, its not as fast, or as quick, nor does it handle as well, but it has a Lexus quality interior. So when it develops rattles or squeaks, you know you have squeaks befitting Lexus quality.

Just my 2 cents, I have seen these posts before, you will not be happy with the car. If you are this concerned about possible rattles now, you will be looking for them from the first day you get the car.

~ Matt M.

P.S. Drive a V if you can, then go drive the M3/M5, the C63/E63, and the IS-F. And have a good time.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

I don't want you guys to attack/laugh at me, but does anyone have any experience with the new Infinity M56?
    I went and looked one over and test drove it. Lots of technology, better than the V in gadgets. The one I looked at was a Sport model and it drove really well. It is no V when it comes to HP, but still quick for a good sized sedan. Things I noted I liked, sport package came with 20" wheels/tires (Bridgestone Potenza) and had a donut spare in the back. Fitted sport seats and paddle shifters. Any of its technology could be turned off in the options if you didn't want it in use. (adaptive cruise,etc) and I could stream music from my Droid via the bluetooth as well as connect the phone. Plus it's one of the few 400+ HP sedans with available AWD.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but do you guys think that the new 2010's or even the early 2011's will have the tsb's applied right at the factory? If so, then I shouldn't have to worry about the rear shelf, rims clicking etc. correct?

jfjr, I do realize that the money went towards the performance items, and I do expect them to save money in some spots. I don't mind if they use some cheap parts on the interior to save money, or if they are not accurate to the mm as long as they don't make noise!! however, I would definitely be willing to spend a good amount more for the car in order to have a high quality interior.

Matt M, you bet your a** that I am going to listen for noises that don't belong, no matter what car I buy!! even if it's a Hyundai, which, by the way have silent creak free interiors......no kidding, a have a few friends with them and I also drove the new Genesis and it is tight as a drum! kind of sad but true. Not a bad car, great for the money but it doesn't do 0-60 in 3.9
    Matt as far as the other cars you mentioned, there are reasons that I eliminated those in my final few. The M3 is an awesome car, but they have their own quality issues, more important though, the back seat is way too small. The M5 size is good, but the price is a little higher than I wanted (I still may break on that one though) The IS-F same thing about back seat being useless. Mercedes, I love the look and feel, but I know too many people with a rediculous amount of problems! These are the reasons I am down to the bullet proof V!

CIWS, How was the handling and ride of the M56 compared to the V? I know the V handles better and of course faster, but how did the M56 steering / brakes etc. feel? (use Porsche or BMW as a benchmark) It's going to be my "family car" that I use every day. If I want to race around I can still use my sports car. I don't need it to be the baddest sedan on this planet! although that would be nice...LOL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.