LS9 cam on the way
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, LS9 cam on the way in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Just as the title says. Much bigger cam and it should really wake the V up with the 10% crank ...
    DrumStix is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

LS9 cam on the way

Just as the title says. Much bigger cam and it should really wake the V up with the 10% crank swap I'm doing at the same time. Install appt is 5/14.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dqw1 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: LS9 cam on the way

That might be too much power. j/k
    Please post a video when you get done.

LOL. I'll get a video.

1-2-N-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

subscribed

backup is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV, silver, manual

I know this has been discussed before, but in my reserach the LS9 cam still seems a bit mild? no? Can do a more aggressive cam with stock heads and still idle and drive well I think. Would like to know your opinion on this.

CTSV4now is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

do you have specs on LSA cam and LS9 cam?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Too much power.

Operations is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

backup is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV, silver, manual

From my research, the LSA cam is this:
    198/216 0.480"/0.480"

the LS9 cam is this:
    211/230 0.562"/0.558"

I think they both have the same lobe separation angle also (117?), which means the overlap is nearly identical (I think, can somebody confirm this?). This is an important parameter in a FI engine.

From those that have run the LS9 cam the report is it is still 'mild'. There are also reports from various sources that more aggressive cams still run and idle near stock but add more power. My big concern is how do they work with the stock LSA heads (many who have gone with >LS9 cams have also done heads) and how they run at high rpm (springs and float and ramp rates and all kinds of conerns that I am no expert to decipher).

I am about this --><-- close to pulling the trigger on a package that includes the W4M .604 lift cam which I think would rock!

Quote Originally Posted by backup View Post
    I know this has been discussed before, but in my reserach the LS9 cam still seems a bit mild? no? Can do a more aggressive cam with stock heads and still idle and drive well I think. Would like to know your opinion on this.
    $95 experiment in stock drivability while surfing the net at lunch today. I'm not looking for something too burly in the V. Cams go in, cams come out. The difference between these two cams is pretty huge.

Quote Originally Posted by backup View Post
    From my research, the LSA cam is this:
    198/216 0.480"/0.480"

the LS9 cam is this:
    211/230 0.562"/0.558"

I think they both have the same lobe separation angle also (117?), which means the overlap is nearly identical (I think, can somebody confirm this?). This is an important parameter in a FI engine.

From those that have run the LS9 cam the report is it is still 'mild'. There are also reports from various sources that more aggressive cams still run and idle near stock but add more power. My big concern is how do they work with the stock LSA heads (many who have gone with >LS9 cams have also done heads) and how they run at high rpm (springs and float and ramp rates and all kinds of conerns that I am no expert to decipher).

I am about this --><-- close to pulling the trigger on a package that includes the W4M .604 lift cam which I think would rock!
    The LSA and LS9 are more like 120.5 - 121 on both cams. I don't think GM has done much under 119 on any of the LSX motors, at least in the cars.
    You can go WAY up on the duration as long at you maintain a wide LSA in a split duration cam and retain great drivability. I want quick cylinder filling and I will get that with this cam. I also want good bottom end with this heavier car and this cam will retain that. What is making you consider a .604 cam, if you please? Lift is not the most important number on a cam, especially a blower cam. Do you know the other numbers?
    I'm also adding 918's and chrome moly push rods so she'll be stout like Guiness. I'll be bumping the limiter more towards 6600 as well, to match the LS9. The rockers are the same in both cars.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Too much power.
    Ahahahaha, you kill me.

glgjr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Too much power.
    I guess this is your schtick?

Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

Overlap is not solely dependent on LSA. If you have increased duration with the same LSA, you will have more overlap.

BTW, these heads love lift. Have you seen the flow data at lifts above 0.500".

If I were to go through the effort of installing a new cam, it certainly would not be a cam from the factory, as they make too many compromises. Just my 2 cents.

Sure, they've tested them well enough, but they also put in too much cushiion with regards to valvetrain wear and noise, emissions, and driveability for all the potential owners.

Also, bear in mind that the LS9 is designed for a car that weighs a half-ton less than a V. Just be sure to do your homework, and best of luck.

I'm sure it will improve quite a bit, but I think there are much better options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Karch View Post
    Overlap is not solely dependent on LSA. If you have increased duration with the same LSA, you will have more overlap.

BTW, these heads love lift. Have you seen the flow data at lifts above 0.500".

If I were to go through the effort of installing a new cam, it certainly would not be a cam from the factory, as they make too many compromises. Just my 2 cents.

Sure, they've tested them well enough, but they also put in too much cushiion with regards to valvetrain wear and noise, emissions, and driveability for all the potential owners.

Also, bear in mind that the LS9 is designed for a car that weighs a half-ton less than a V. Just be sure to do your homework, and best of luck.

I'm sure it will improve quite a bit, but I think there are much better options out there.
    Good, get your wallet out and make your purchase.
    EVERYTHING has a set of compromises.
    You will not have more overlap if you split the durations WIDER apart as in the LS9 cam. It all depends on when the opening and closing events occur. You could have a 210/235 cam with nearly no overlap. If you tighten them up you can get more overlap but will increase exhaust scavaging, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It also depends on the advance ground in. Are we going deep into cam theory now?
    Most of what they've done on the LS9 cam, to extend your theory, was split the duration wider, causing a lengthened time for cylinder filling and a broader power band. That should more than make up for the torque band changes and the LS9 cam's LSA is much wider so I'm sure it will haul this car around just fine. They also kept the lift reasonable for longevity and to prevent the thing from eating itself in 10,000 miles. So with lower durations and a wider LSA, I am going to have early cylinder filling over a wider range while retaining acceptable mileage and bottom end. There is a lot more I can do with this car than throw a stupid ass big cam in there to kill mileage, drivability, engine vacuum under coast, bottom end, valve springs and so on. But, If I feel like it, I can add 1.85's in an hour and a half to bump the lift to .612.
    So, are you getting a 244/250 cam on a 113 with .620? Remember, most of the cams are made for lighter cars.

BTW, there is no trouble for me installing this cam. I just don't want to have "too much power," lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.