LS9 cam on the way - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, LS9 cam on the way in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I read "similar cam" so they will have similar gains. Since you chimed in, any recommendations? There are hundreds of ...
    DrumStix is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: LS9 cam on the way

I read "similar cam" so they will have similar gains. Since you chimed in, any recommendations? There are hundreds of other cams to choose from for the LSX.

94guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i went ahead and installed the ls9 cam. i hope it makes me about 30rwhp. i just wanted something that drives like stock but has good gains in power. if i don't make the power with my over all combo i will put the lingenfelterGT9 cam in.

You'll be fine. Post your mods and I'll give you the expected RWHP. Also, is this the only thing your changing this round of mods?

PremierJosh is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I'm ready to order a camshaft. Does anyone that went with a ls9 wish they would have went a little larger? I plan to also do ported heads in the future so I would like something with a little more lift but I want what to be able to tell there is a cam in the car at all.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Not me, I'm perfectly happy with the LS9 cam. The power added met my expectations and being an OEM cam from a 50-state car, I'm not expecting to have any problems passing the Cali smog test down the road. If I wasn't worried about smog, I'd probably be running LPE's GT9 cam (no lope claimed and who knows if it would've passed smog anyway?). Beyond that, from what I understand, the GT11 cam has a nice, ever-so-slightly lopey idle that you can still run on an auto. At least one other forum member has posted over the last year or so that he is running this cam.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

What kind of power increases are you guys getting with the ls9 cam ? in terms of hp AND tq and is it across the board or just on the high end ?

Mine went in with a 9" pulley and ported snout and I went from 525 to 574 RWHP. Although the pulley alone is said to be good for around 30, I don't think this means the cam alone would be good for only 20. It might also be good for 30 on it's own, but since I have stock heads, exhaust manifolds, and all 4 cats, perhaps that is the limiting factor. From the dyno graphs, it looks like more power across the board (pulley), but the gap increases at the top end (cam)--so they raised the rev limit slightly to take advantage of it (better springs, but stock valves, pushrods, and rockers).

Hey GMX, what did your tq increase ?

Razor, I don't have my charts handy at the moment, but I seem to recall that it tracked pretty linearly. When I was at 524 RWHP, I believe my RWTQ was numerically within 10 points. I'm at 565 RWTQ now--still within 10 points.

I went from 476 to 579 with just the LS9 cam and 9.5" pulley an the car was still fast as well. I'm right at 600 RWHP with this combo now. Headed to the dnyo as soon as MSJ calls me back.

PremierJosh is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I'm liking the specs on the GT9 camshaft, its more into the lift range a good set of CNC heads can take advantage of. I'm just wonder about how the car will behave with the larger stick in there? Does anyone have any experiance with this camshaft? Can you hear it at idle, any shake to the car, any low rpm issues?

Can one of you guys with the ls9 cam throw up a dyno graph, i'm curious to see what the curve is

94guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

drumstix, what's the 9.5" pulley worth hp wise? also i have seen adm claim the ls9 cam is 18-20hp over a stock ls3 cam. i would hope more with the blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    Can one of you guys with the ls9 cam throw up a dyno graph, i'm curious to see what the curve is
    Hey Razor, finally back home; here's what I got:

I don't know why the resultant HP doesn't appear in the green box, but 525.8 + 47.9 = 573.7. (LS9 cam, ported snout, 9" pulley over baseline)

^ thank, so you were bumped about 50+ over stock with a ls9 cam, ported snout & a 9". The 9" pulley is good for about 20-30 that would leave the snout and cam with about 20 left. The gain is smooth and very streetable. I think cam selection is a case by case basis. There are cams that will give alot of hp and pull tq or give slightly across the whole band. For someone that does inner city driving they might want a different cam than someone who drives 90% highway. Also this would play into if you are a manual transmission or automatic. If you have a large increase only at a certain rpm its much easier to get access to that power with a shifter and a clutch than two flippy paddles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.