LS9 cam on the way - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, LS9 cam on the way in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; This is interesting. The LS9 cam is VERY SIMILAR to the stock LS7 cam. Same durations and LSA, but with ...
    6speeder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: LS9 cam on the way

This is interesting. The LS9 cam is VERY SIMILAR to the stock LS7 cam. Same durations and LSA, but with .562/.558" lift Vs the LS7 having .592". I wonder how the LS7 cam would play?

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

The ls7 rocker arms are different ratios, making the lift different.

DrumStix is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Yup, intake on the LS7 is .558 with 1.7's. or ~.328 lift from base circle, 1:1.

LS9 cam with 1.85's!

6speeder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

You're right, different rocker arm ratios. Sounds like the LS9 cam=LS7 cam.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

DrumStix, just curious if you are going to change any other valvetrain components or run stock? The LS9 has titanium intake valves and hollow exhaust valves, although the LSA has a lower redline--think they'll offset?

Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C View Post
    DrumStix, just curious if you are going to change any other valvetrain components or run stock? The LS9 has titanium intake valves and hollow exhaust valves, although the LSA has a lower redline--think they'll offset?
    I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if I'm changing the valves because I'm changing the cam? I am changing valves springs and going to hardened aftermarket push rods for a bit of insurance but there is not need to consider changing valves themselves.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Sorry, I should have asked if you were changing the springs, retainers, rockers, etc, to compensate for the LS9 having lighter valves. I didn't know if you needed to compensate with stiffer springs or other lighter valvetrain components on the LSA--or since the LSA has a lower redline, is it a moot point. So you will be changing springs; how does one go about choosing the right ones? Too weak, you float, too stiff, you wear out valve seats, cam lobes, etc, faster, right?

The rockers are the same in the LS9. All of your assumptions are accurate. Too weak you float or snap springs, to stiff and you lose HP unnecessarily, and could wear cam lobes but that is very rare with these roller lifters and the rockwell scale of these cams. I would look at a parts issue/defect if a 918 spring damaged a lobe, likely lifter condition first as a cause. The 918 has the right seat pressure (130 closed) for such a mild cam and is actually borderline from even being required. I'm adding them for some longevity and will be bumping the limiter to around 6600.

Anyone else change push rods with their cam in the V2? I know the LSX p-rods have been pretty bullet proof since about 2002.

MSJ
    MSJ is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by DrumStix View Post
    I probably won't get back to S.A.P. prior to the install unless we can get out there this coming weekend so it'll probably go right to RPM for the install (not tackling another cam in my lifetime cause I'm sick of it) then I'll dyno tune it. The difference is it'll be warmer and on a different dyno so no real apples to apples. In the end, I'm sure I'll go back to the S.A.P. dyno in a couple week and hopefully MSJ can be there to video it.
    DrumStix, let's slap that puppy on the rollers Did you get it back from RPM yet? They slapped a 200 NX kit on a Lingenfelter C6 Z06 I bought. When I bought the car from a buddy I actually had them take it off. They are great guys and build some of the fastest LSx cars. Most of my work is done at Mayhem Motorsports who just moved to North Raleigh.

My next mods are some frickin' shoes. I'm surprised the PS2's lasted 14k miles. we need to get a dyno day soon and a track day before it gets too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by MSJ View Post
    DrumStix, let's slap that puppy on the rollers Did you get it back from RPM yet? They slapped a 200 NX kit on a Lingenfelter C6 Z06 I bought. When I bought the car from a buddy I actually had them take it off. They are great guys and build some of the fastest LSx cars. Most of my work is done at Mayhem Motorsports who just moved to North Raleigh.

My next mods are some frickin' shoes. I'm surprised the PS2's lasted 14k miles. we need to get a dyno day soon and a track day before it gets too hot.
    It goes under the knife at 4:00 today. Are you around this Saturday?

Get some new Jordan's on that bitch. When mine are shot I'm probably dipping the stockers in black chrome as well. I wish I'd known where Mayhem was but I'll get them a call today just to see what's up. They are likely closer to me.

MSJ

aye cap'n! I'm in town this weekend... I think..LOL I'll buzz the shop tomorrow to see if the dyno is clear. My shoes are shot, new tires go on after your dyno session. I'll get some vid of your car on the dyno and you can film the last of my ps2's...lol

I'm actually going to do a photo shoot with a 1909 Cadillac soon as well. It won Lowe's show last year and was at amelia this year. It should make a nice "100 years of Cadillac" shoot. buzz me at the office when u get the beast back.

Lemme know dude. I was going to tint on Saturday but would rather get all the dyno tuning sorted out. I can take my time over there and get it perfect.

We need some dyno film to post here.

MSJ

drumstix, we're in Dyno is clear on Saturday. let me know if there is a particular time you want to go and I'll block that hour or so off. We even have the eddy current up now as well so we can tune on the inertia or eddy current and slap some road force on there.

cheers! mike

She's almost out of surgery. I went in and took a couple pics on my camera phone as he was swapping out the last 918's. Cam is in, balancer and pulley are on. I pick it up in the morning.

I was going to get the tint done after running over to have Jamie swap out to some Amsoil rear diff fluid but instead, would like to/need to get some pulls in. Is 10 AM cool?

Note to all that want the cam. The LSA requires a new upper timing sprocket due to the 3 vs 1 bolt pattern in the LS7 and LS9 motors.

D3 springs and black out trim pieces also ordered.

MSJ

how about 10:30? I've got a quick errand to run in the morning and then I can head straight to the shop and rack the v on the roller. I'll have hd cam in hand and we can post up after it's dialed in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.