Engine appears to be running very hot- help
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Engine appears to be running very hot- help in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; My 1600 mile ctsv auto- jesse max perf tune, CAI, modified air box (4 inch cone on order) and 160 ...
  1. #1
    kencav is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver/Ebony Auto
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    144

    Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    My 1600 mile ctsv auto- jesse max perf tune, CAI, modified air box (4 inch cone on order) and 160 degree tstat. Seems as though fans are not coming on when i shut off engine- drove car 1/2 hour 3hours ago still pretty hot- called Hannah at WFM to querry Jesse about this- during Dyno pulls 2 weeks ago tech commented on amazing amount of heat soak with engine- Jesse if you are out their is tune not accounting for tstat- why are fans not cming on when i stop engine. Thoughts anybody?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    RapidRob's Avatar
    RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    1,242

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    ^^^ My fans operate normally while engine is running, and the fans USED to run for awhile after shutting down the engine. Now, with W4M's performance tune, the fans stop the moment the engine is turned off, which I assume was his, (W4M), intention. I still have the OEM thermostat installed however, and I do not have over-heating problems.

    Rob

  4. #3
    Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,093

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob View Post
    ^^^ My fans operate normally while engine is running, and the fans USED to run for awhile after shutting down the engine. Now, with W4M's performance tune, the fans stop the moment the engine is turned off, which I assume was his, (W4M), intention. I still have the OEM thermostat installed however, and I do not have over-heating problems.

    Rob
    Uhm NO ! The fans are supposed to be running afterwards otherwise your oil will just boil itself after shutoff. Even Jesse has said that he'll adjust tunes to keep the fan on for LONGER than on the stock tune. As a safeguard

  5. #4
    jwa999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Age
    56
    Posts
    413

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    Not running the tunes right now, but 95 in TX this afternoon, with 70% humidity. My trans temp was 207. When I parked the car in the underground garage, i could here the fans running, not very loud. But after a few minutes they already turned off. I've noticed before with jesse's tune, I would park the car and the fans where running loud while the car was idling, but as soon as I turned of the car, the fans stopped. I was expecting it to run the fans longer.

    In my 996 turbo, the fans come on when parked for 5 or 10 minutes, turn off, but then turn on again as the heat is coming out of the engine.
    But I must say, the V's engine bay gets quite hot no matter what. I park the car in the morning and in the evening the coolant temps are still in the 100s.

    Hans.

  6. #5
    kencav is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver/Ebony Auto
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    144
    Thread Starter

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    Rob the funny thing i noticed is the stock tstat removed from my car looks nothing like the one jesse showed removing in his 10 minute video- it says NTLC 86 DEGREES C

  7. #6
    wait4me's Avatar
    wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    warsaw indiana
    Posts
    2,998

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    Ken you need to be running the 160 degree tune or just putting in the thermostat will not make a major change. EXCEPT at high speeds, like 70mph and up..

    After the tune the changes will be very noticeable as the temps will be in the 170-180s all the time from then on..

    As for the temps when shutting off. That is what effects the fans staying running after you shut off the key. IF they are low already, the fans wont stay running. If it is hotter, then they will run. If it is REALLLY hot, then the high speed fans stay running. That is a amount of time i specify. I only make it really long running when in the racing mode tunes...

  8. #7
    RapidRob's Avatar
    RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    1,242

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    ^^^ Well, Jess - I guess my motor is running a bit cooler with your tune then, because having the fans run after shutdown was a rather common event before. But it very seldom, if ever, happens now, with your perf. tune installed. It was one of the first things I noticed after the install. I sure don't want my, 'oil boiling', like Razor says above ...

    Rob

  9. #8
    kencav is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver/Ebony Auto
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    144
    Thread Starter

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    Jesse- I do have your tune and it was supposed to be customized to the mods i purchased from you initially- WHICH INCLUDED THE 160 DEGREE TSTAT! Sorry for the loud capitols but I have pm'd you for a tune update now more than several times with no response. Also discussed this issue with Hannah. Please check your pm's. I have purchased other mods that need to be shipped and requested 3 updated tunes for my handheld- one to address my current mods INCLUDING THE TSTAT/FANS and 2 others to address the mods to be installed/added.
    I ordered the additional coolant reservior as well due to concerns about engine temps. I would ideally like to resolve this temp problem with an e-mail tune update asap- thx!

  10. #9
    kencav is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver/Ebony Auto
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    144
    Thread Starter

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    car up to about 198/200 about 5 minutes this morning- normal guys?

  11. #10
    62Jeff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    231

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    Quote Originally Posted by kencav View Post
    car up to about 198/200 about 5 minutes this morning- normal guys?
    It is for mine.

    Bone stock car, 1710 miles on it.

    Today at noon I started it up for the first time of the day, pulled it out of the garage and headed off on an errand. Exterior temps were 90 degrees F.

    Within 2 miles of driving, and 5 minutes of time (I hit a stop light) the needle was at what I believe to be the 200 mark (last tick before the 220 indicator). This is where the car normally runs, and that's where it stayed for the rest of my trip. I just got home, and it was still at the same 200 mark.

  12. #11
    SteFin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 sev
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    I'm a rookie to this forum, my questions is "Has anyone used Thermagasket in a NorthStar motor"? I've used other sealants in steel block motors with good success, 15 years ago I was stranded in Charlotte, NC pulling a trailer with a 350ci Chevy custom van and blew a head gasket and used K&W block sealant it worked for about a year before I changed heads. The instructions are key, most people will not remove the sparkplugs etc. It's a 98 sev that I'm planning to buy several states away and drive back to Florida. The electric cooling fans went out, and now the owner is saying it overheats after 30miles. I'll change the water pump and thermostat. Could the new electric fans be installed or set wrong? The car is one owner 90,000 mile bueaty and priced at a steal, I can't help myself I want it.

  13. #12
    GMX322V S/C's Avatar
    GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,797

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    Quote Originally Posted by 62Jeff View Post
    It is for mine.

    Bone stock car, 1710 miles on it.

    Today at noon I started it up for the first time of the day, pulled it out of the garage and headed off on an errand. Exterior temps were 90 degrees F.

    Within 2 miles of driving, and 5 minutes of time (I hit a stop light) the needle was at what I believe to be the 200 mark (last tick before the 220 indicator). This is where the car normally runs, and that's where it stayed for the rest of my trip. I just got home, and it was still at the same 200 mark.
    Sounds like the way my car behaves as well (stock thermostat). I let it sit for about 30 seconds after a cold-start and within a couple of blocks of driving it easy, the temp gauge is already starting to lift-off.

  14. #13
    GMX322V S/C's Avatar
    GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,797

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    Quote Originally Posted by SteFin View Post
    I'm a rookie to this forum, my questions is "Has anyone used Thermagasket in a NorthStar motor"? I've used other sealants in steel block motors with good success, 15 years ago I was stranded in Charlotte, NC pulling a trailer with a 350ci Chevy custom van and blew a head gasket and used K&W block sealant it worked for about a year before I changed heads. The instructions are key, most people will not remove the sparkplugs etc. It's a 98 sev that I'm planning to buy several states away and drive back to Florida. The electric cooling fans went out, and now the owner is saying it overheats after 30miles. I'll change the water pump and thermostat. Could the new electric fans be installed or set wrong? The car is one owner 90,000 mile bueaty and priced at a steal, I can't help myself I want it.
    You may want to re-post over here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ldorado-forum/ --good luck!

  15. #14
    neuronbob's Avatar
    neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cleveland area, OH
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,260

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    Quote Originally Posted by kencav View Post
    car up to about 198/200 about 5 minutes this morning- normal guys?
    Yes, my stock engine does this in about five minutes in warm weather, and stays there until I shut the engine off. No worries here!

  16. #15
    jwa999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Age
    56
    Posts
    413

    Re: Engine appears to be running very hot- help

    Quote Originally Posted by kencav View Post
    Rob the funny thing i noticed is the stock tstat removed from my car looks nothing like the one jesse showed removing in his 10 minute video- it says NTLC 86 DEGREES C
    Quote Originally Posted by kencav View Post
    car up to about 198/200 about 5 minutes this morning- normal guys?
    86 C = 186.8 F

    So yes, your car would be running at pretty much normal temps. Sounds like your Tstat is not 160 ?

    Hans.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting