Transmission Failure Diagnosis - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Transmission Failure Diagnosis in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by jwa999 It really feels like a one off failure. I'm an aggressive driver, had the car upto ...
    vperl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver

Re: Transmission Failure Diagnosis

Quote Originally Posted by jwa999 View Post
    It really feels like a one off failure. I'm an aggressive driver, had the car upto 140 a couple of times. Never on a drag strip. Will launch from a stoplight trying to avoid wheel slip. Fooled around a little bit with brake launching, but not much. Just a little revving to 1000rmp before letting go of the brake already launches the car great. The failure occurred less than 2 minutes after I started it and drove away from my office sunday before last. I had driven it a few hours earlier. I remember it revving higher then usual in the second corner and the next moment it failed.
    The transmission always operated very smoothly with the tune, never any problems.

Hans.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

anyone notice the tune or ask about any changes like a tune, dealer, GM or who ever after the failure?

jwa999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S

Quote Originally Posted by vperl View Post
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

anyone notice the tune or ask about any changes like a tune, dealer, GM or who ever after the failure?
    Nop. Like I said, i had returned it to stock, put the covers back on, and nobody asked me if I had made any changes.

Hans.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    Glad to see you have your V back Hans.

It will be interesting to see if your case is a fluke or a trend.
    My guess is fluke. We'd have heard of more by now.

rp161 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

I hope your right on it being a fluke. I hate going back to the dealer.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Nop. Like I said, i had returned it to stock, put the covers back on, and nobody asked me if I had made any changes.

Hans.
    Hans, occasionally I get a "very slow" 1-2 shift when pulling away after startup--whether cold or warmed up. By very slow I mean I'm at part throttle and during that very first 1-2 shift the engine sometimes revs up yet the car actually slows acceleration to the point where my head dips forward a bit. After that initial occurrence, everything's fine. Did this ever happen to you? I'm also running Wait4Me's max performance tune. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C View Post
    Hans, occasionally I get a "very slow" 1-2 shift when pulling away after startup--whether cold or warmed up. By very slow I mean I'm at part throttle and during that very first 1-2 shift the engine sometimes revs up yet the car actually slows acceleration to the point where my head dips forward a bit. After that initial occurrence, everything's fine. Did this ever happen to you? I'm also running Wait4Me's max performance tune. Just curious.
    I haven't applied any tune yet, but the new tranny seems to be smoother. Hasn't been jerky at all. Almost feels like they updated the tcm, but then I'm not very aggressive yet. Old transmission would be jerky, especially between 2-3. With jerky I mean what you say, it takes a while to shift and when it ends up in the new gear, the engine revs no longer match and the car slows down somewhat. After the tune that transmission was a lot smoother.

I believe in the standard mode, the car will start in 2nd gear, so your 1-2 might actually be 2-3.

Hans.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

I haven't applied any tune yet, but the new tranny seems to be smoother. Hasn't been jerky at all. Almost feels like they updated the tcm, but then I'm not very aggressive yet.
    Might be a sign they have an updated TCM flash since your car was originally delivered, or it could also be a sign there was something funky in/about your original transmission that culminated in the clutch failure.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

...I believe in the standard mode, the car will start in 2nd gear, so your 1-2 might actually be 2-3.

Hans.
    Thanks for the feedback. I get this occasional "slow shift" when pulling away for the first time, so it's a 1-2 shift in either mode. Good luck with the new tranny!

ctsv5005 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts v 2009

Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C View Post

Same is my case.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I don't get a slow shift, but MAN does this automatic tranny love to hold a gear in regular D mode. Sometimes it's at the wrong time and the tach sticks at 3k rpm (for example) until I blip the throttle a little extra to get the computer to shift the car. usually it happens after I've accelerated onto the freeway and have caught up to slower traffic, then have to let off the throttle...then the gear is held, almost as if it's waiting for me to accelerate more. I'm not running the W4M tune yet, though...

Quote Originally Posted by anonfrank View Post
    I don't get a slow shift, but MAN does this automatic tranny love to hold a gear in regular D mode. Sometimes it's at the wrong time and the tach sticks at 3k rpm (for example) until I blip the throttle a little extra to get the computer to shift the car. usually it happens after I've accelerated onto the freeway and have caught up to slower traffic, then have to let off the throttle...then the gear is held, almost as if it's waiting for me to accelerate more. I'm not running the W4M tune yet, though...
    hmmm... not happened with me... just a little jerk from 1-2 when start the car and drive. what octane do you use? it used to happen in my other car but i went with higher octane and the issue was solved. try different octane.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I use the highest octane available here--93. However, I think my issue is more a GM programming issue.

MAN does this automatic tranny love to hold a gear in regular D mode.
    Funny that you mention this. This did not happen in my V, but the loaner 3.6 CTS that I got. It had 140 miles on it when i got it. So was breaking it in, running it in different gears at medium revs. The day I brought it back, now at 440 miles, it just would just not upshift out of 3rd gear. It would rev to 6-7000 rpms and just stay there in sport tranny mode. I couldn't get it to kick to 4th.
    Must have been the tranny-adapts-to-the-driver programming.

That should never ever happen in the regular D mode.

Hans.

Flavoade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003, Pontiac Trans Am S.E. 1977

I did not know anyone actually bought an HPV off of the dealer's lot. The 130 miles that it had on it were probably really hard miles; I'm talking burnouts, and red-line shifts. I remember when the new M3's came out. By the weekend the rear tires on all three of the dealers stock were bald. Neglectful test drivers, and ignorant sales agents kill those cars. Thats why I will not buy an HPV that is on a dealers lot. If I like the car, I will order my own and just wait for it to come in.

It was likely just an unlucky car. Though GM does build a good deal of their transmissions in Mexico.

I use the highest octane available here--93. However, I think my issue is more a GM programming issue.
    go for w4m tune, and your issue will be solved, trust me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.