Crank pulleys are now ready for you guys. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Crank pulleys are now ready for you guys. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by qictrk I'm definitely in for one, probably the $905 one with 10%. But, i have the automatic ...
    CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

Re: Crank pulleys are now ready for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by qictrk View Post
    I'm definitely in for one, probably the $905 one with 10%. But, i have the automatic ECM tune and that will have to be figured out first. What if i ship the ECM to you and you tune it there on an automatic that you have at the shop. Won't that work? Cecil..........
    TCM is in the transmission. Get a handheld that is the easiest way.

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumseeker View Post
    I have an auto with your handheld max tune loaded. Is the third tune, which is the pulley tune, for this crank pulley mod or will I need an update?
    +1 on the question. Looks like he can email it to us if there is a change. So we are in good shape.

Hey Jess,

What kind of HP gains are you seeing between the 5% and 10%? Nothing exact just your best guess. I am concerned about traction and pushing the motor to hard on the 10%. Also is the 10% overkill for someone without your exhaust?

You also mentioned a add on heat exchanger in another thread. Do we need one for these?

Thx

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CadV View Post
    Hey Jess,

What kind of HP gains are you seeing between the 5% and 10%? Nothing exact just your best guess. I am concerned about traction and pushing the motor to hard on the 10%. Also is the 10% overkill for someone without your exhaust?

You also mentioned a add on heat exchanger in another thread. Do we need one for these?

Thx
    If I was a betting man, I'd go with 30-40 rwtq increase for the 5% overdrive; you'll DEFINITELY FEEL it. I would NOT bet, however, that going to 10% (by itself) is going to yield a 60-80 rwtq increase, as I believe some inefficiencies begin to rear their ugly head when you get boost levels that high without other modifications.

Granted, take my thoughts with a grain of salt, as I'm not nearly as experienced as many on this forum, especially Jesse, but that's my preliminary guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna. View Post
    If I was a betting man, I'd go with 30-40 rwtq increase for the 5% overdrive; you'll DEFINITELY FEEL it. I would NOT bet, however, that going to 10% (by itself) is going to yield a 60-80 rwtq increase, as I believe some inefficiencies begin to rear their ugly head when you get boost levels that high without other modifications.

Granted, take my thoughts with a grain of salt, as I'm not nearly as experienced as many on this forum, especially Jesse, but that's my preliminary guess.
    Jess got 559 rwhp out of swapping the blower pulley.

He had the airbox mod, stock exhaust and tune done at the time. Crank should give us more boost.

I am predicting 560-580 with the 5%. 10% is probably overkill until the fuel stuff is sorted.

I am doing the same as you and going with the 5%.

Here is his baseline before the blower pulley.

1-2-N-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Is there a mathematical equation that would nail down peak HP at the crank using 560-580 figures? I love the RWHP but any ideas of the BHP? Or is there only estimates.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-2-N-V View Post
    Is there a mathematical equation that would nail down peak HP at the crank using 560-580 figures? I love the RWHP but any ideas of the BHP? Or is there only estimates.
    There was a really good thread on that topic but I could not find it.

The car comes rated at 565 hp and most people are dynoing between 460-480 rwhp stock.

Any one know where that thread was? Or knows the Math?

qictrk is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

TCM is in the transmission. Get a handheld that is the easiest way.
    I don't have a lap top. Cecil........

Quote Originally Posted by qictrk View Post
    I don't have a lap top. Cecil........
    Handheld is an isolated device you don't need a computer. Only reason you would need a computer is when Jess emails you any updates.

I took some pictures when I got it:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tall-pics.html

Handheld is the only way to get the trans tune without going to his shop.

qictrk is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Handheld is an isolated device you don't need a computer. Only reason you would need a computer is when Jess emails you any updates.

I took some pictures when I got it:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tall-pics.html

Handheld is the only way to get the trans tune without going to his shop.
    Thanks CadV, that makes it a whole lot easier. I was thinking back, many years ago, when i had to use a lap top for my Syclone. Cecil.....

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Jess got 559 rwhp out of swapping the blower pulley.

YouTube - 559 hp 2009 cts v stock exhaust 2 55 pulley cold air box

He had the airbox mod, stock exhaust and tune done at the time. Crank should give us more boost.

I am predicting 560-580 with the 5%. 10% is probably overkill until the fuel stuff is sorted.

I am doing the same as you and going with the 5%.
    Aye, I think that makes good sense.

I dynoed at ~470 rwhp stock, then went to ~520 rwhp from a tune alone. That's about 50 rwhp from a tune alone. If Jesse got that much, that would leave the pulley swap generating another 30 rwhp, which seems in the ball-park.

I'll shot-in-the-dark estimate that I'll get 30-40 from the crank pulley and end up around 550-560 from the pulley alone. However, I'm also doing the American Racing headers, and Corsa, exhaust system, as well as Hennessey's cold-air intake, so I'm hoping for a tad more than that.

Jesse--what % overdrive does the 2.55" pulley equate to so we can compare the crankshaft pulley to the 2.55" blower pulley? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1-2-N-V View Post
    Just curious...why interested? The number at the tire seems to be the truly important one.

Most of the time, I see people using 15% losses for the drivetrain and that makes decent sense assuming that 556 as a starting point and what people are seeing at the tires.

Hey Luna,

Well you know people like to here the bigger numbers and i like to tell them. When they hear 556 they just about fall over. So why not add it up. Isn't that what Hennessey is doing with his V700 package? That 15% math sounds fairly just as everyone who has put up their numbers has seen similar RWHP with just a tune or some kind of combo. If that figure is correct 556BHP x 15% = 473 RWHP

I dynoed at ~470 rwhp stock, then went to ~520 rwhp
    This would equate to about 612 HP if you ad back the 15%. Add a pulley and you could be looking at around that 700 magic number. All the other breath better goodies, Heads and cam should should easily take you there. No doubt.

Just curious...why interested? The number at the tire seems to be the truly important one.

Most of the time, I see people using 15% losses for the drivetrain and that makes decent sense assuming that 556 as a starting point and what people are seeing at the tires.[/QUOTE]

wait4me is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Just to help also on this. The cars are VERY different when you dyno them cold vs hot, vs different intake air temps, vs time running before floored. This could account for people gaining more power from tunes vs others...

This is a motor, just like any other motor. Timing can only be so high, and fuel can only go so lean before you have problems....

If you watch all my dyno vids, the car is run on the rollers until the car hits EXACTLY the same coolant temp, which in my case is 180degrees, And the same intake air charge temps. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes of running on the rollers to hit that... THEN WE DO A PULL. If you just do a startup and then dyno pull after sitting for 3 hours, your horsepower goes up, but only for the dyno and not real world conditions.. REAL world conditions are you driving down the highway and or thru the city and letting some poor sap with a m5 get his feeling hurt as you show him he paid too much for his car.... If you do a pull in our cars when they are completely cold, of coarse you will make alot more power on the dyno, but when is it really going to be that way when you are on the street...

If you look at timing tables, based on coolant, and intake air, you can see that they are able to apply alot more timing during that time. To be fair for horsepower gains, you need to have exact coolant temps, and exact intake 2 temps.. Then it is a fair honest gain.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.