Cts-v discontinued? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Cts-v discontinued? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; The last thing I want to see is a higher production run of CTS-Vs. Let's keep the numbers low, the ...
    vmaniac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: Cts-v discontinued?

The last thing I want to see is a higher production run of CTS-Vs. Let's keep the numbers low, the scarcity high and resale high.

AuPanda is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Also remember that the big push is not just gas mileage but "green house gasses." That wonderful little sticker on our cars indicates our V2s are the worst offender. I believe that is what may be the undoing of the powerful V2.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

My new license plate for my 99 Suburban K2500 454: "XSV CO2" The treehuggers will hate me...

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

About two weeks ago, I gave the Cad V-series another six months. Perhaps I was optimistic.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

The whole CAFE law is one of the most stupid laws ever, IMO. Numerous articles have been written about this in the automotive press. One can't legislate what people will buy, because they will buy what they want and can afford. Gas mileage guides what people will buy when gas hits $3.50-$4.00/gallon, at least in this country. That was proven last fall, before the economy completely tanked. People were demanding high mileage cars then. Expensive cars that got terrible mileage sold less well, but still sold, because anyone who can afford an expensive car can afford to buy expensive gas to run it, if they choose.

This scenario is well played out in Europe, where there are no gas mileage laws. The fleet there already gets 35 MPG. The reason is that they have REALLY expensive gas. The governments made this happen by taxing the hell out of gas, which then goes to fund whatever they want to with the proceeds. They still sell gas guzzlers in Europe, and they cost a fortune to run, but that is personal choice. Most people buy fuel efficient vehicles because that is all they can afford to run. Those that can afford Ferrari's buy them and buy the gas and don't complain. And the fleet gets 35 MPG.

As far as CAFE goes, the few thousand V2's and ZR1's that are sold will have virtually zero effect on the average for the corporation. That is how statistics work. All of the press on these two models has been great, with virtually no mention of their gas mileage. The new law doesn't even start phasing in until 2012. These cars are actually selling, and helping GM's bottom line right now, when they need it the most. So, in my opinion, cancelling the V would be a stupid move, and hopefully just a rumor.

Now, if the government had any guts, they would raise taxes on gas to "encourage" the purchase of fuel efficient cars, and cancel the really stupid CAFE laws. Of course, this will never happen, because taxes are not popular, but one can dream. In the meantime, I can enjoy my V as much as I want to. I would not object, though, if Cadillac were to make something like the Converj concept but with a bit better performance than the Volt. It would make a great city car and daily driver, and then I could use the V for fun, and use much less gas overall. That would work for me, too.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Superior Cadillac View Post
    ...and start to lower the vehicles ride height to increase MPG...
    Well, musclesbmf is doing his part, eh?

vperl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C View Post
    Well, musclesbmf is doing his part, eh?

someone voted for them

I know not who

proexpert is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 Loaded

This is from gmblogs. I hope it's okay to copy/paste that info here.

Clearing the Air a Little
    By David Caldwell
    May 8, 2009

Twitter and the web are bubbling with comments about the future of some high-performance cars. Let me try to clear the air here, as is often the case some stuff is valid and some stuff isn’t.

The new CTS-V is off to a good start. We’ve sold roughly 1,000 units so far this year - which is good for a specialty/niche model of this type. We’re very pleased with the excellent reception CTS-V is getting from customers, auto enthusiasts and the press. It’s a very important aspect of Cadillac. Anyone claiming it’s going away is NOT accurate. CTS is the centerpiece of Cadillac, successful on many counts. The CTS-V is a big part of that success. I can’t put it any more plainly than that.

We are phasing out the STS-V model once the 2009 model year production concludes. Obviously, many things in today’s industry are changing. Lower volumes almost across the board in the industry are causing these kinds of adjustments by many brands and manufacturers. STS-V is a car we’re proud of. Until the CTS-V was introduced recently, the STS-V was the most powerful Cadillac ever offered. And it also was one of the first models in which we introduced the hand cut-and-sewn interior craftsmanship process that now is central to our new CTS and SRX models.

There are lots of little bits on Twitter and online about this being related to the GM Performance Division. Let me try to cut through that a little. The news on the GM Performance Division disbanding as an organization is not really the emphasis here. People have somewhat over-estimated that organizational change as being the cause of a bunch of product decisions. High performance cars existed before that organization was founded….and they will exist after it’s gone. For instance, Cadillac’s V-Series continues. We are working on future V-Series projects, though too soon to detail what they are.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by vperl View Post

do they make three wheelers?
    Yeah you can get a trike, like one based on a Goldwing, or the "new" Can-am Spyder.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by AuPanda View Post
    Also remember that the big push is not just gas mileage but "green house gasses." That wonderful little sticker on our cars indicates our V2s are the worst offender. I believe that is what may be the undoing of the powerful V2.
    The window sticker on the regular CTS is only one bar higher, if I remember correctly... It was a rating of around 5 bars and the V got a 1 in both areas, while the CTS got a 2 and a 1.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Post Re: Cts-v discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by proexpert View Post
    This is from gmblogs. I hope it's okay to copy/paste that info here.
    Thanks for posting that. I think people need to realize that the administration is focused on GM's profitability right now, not their CAFE standing. Hence the reason why they're supporting GMs stance on importing more vehicles from Mexico and shedding jobs here - the unions days are numbered, even though they're getting preferential treatment over bond holders (only 6 billion of their debt is secured anyway). I tend to think that the larger piece of the pie is going to the UAW (sorry for going off topic) because they're nearing the end, and they're trying to make sure they'll have some form of healthcare / pension plan in the years / decades to come.

The new standards aren't fully in effect until 2016, that's 7 years from now. I know it's a very short period of time when it comes to product development but it definitely doesn't mean they need to kill the V now.

We're supposed to get a new CTS in 2013. The current CTS-V will most likely make it until then.

marcw is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A few observations:

Obama’s announcement regarding the new CAF╔ standards also included the fact that the new rules phase in during the 2012 model year.

The CTS-V does produce a “halo effect” for the brand, bringing in more benefit to GM than just the straight profit per unit sold.

It takes quite a bit of time to tool up/ re-tool for a new model, or to plan for next year’s model. The 2010 ordering guides are already out. From what I understand, dealers are already taking orders for 2010’s.

My bet is that before we know it, Fall will be here, and the 2010’s will start rolling off the assembly line. Even if Washington hates the V, will the bureaucrats be able to stop it before production ramps up?

It’s also possible we may even see 2011 V’s, but almost certainly no 2012 V’s (as we know the car today), due to the new CAF╔ standards.

Yes, the high performance division is gone. Heinricy and the boys are off to other projects. Will the V line continue? Yes, probably……in a diluted fashion. Look at the BMW M cars today. They are coming out with a tt 4.4l M version of the X6. Merc slaps an AMG badge on just about anything with a sport package these days. Give me a break! By 2012, the V badge (if it still exists) probably wont be a shadow of what it is today.

If Vrocks is correct about a new CTS in 2013, than this scenario sounds about right.

What we have now is the pinnacle of what will be remembered as a golden era. It's all downhill performance-wise from here, one way or the other.....

vperl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    Yeah you can get a trike, like one based on a Goldwing, or the "new" Can-am Spyder.

Good then all the doubters and waiters will have a means of trransportation along with the ones that were ready to jump on the euro snob bus

Buy American

Krug Ford is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have a spyder its actually fun to ride.

4gear70 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (MG9)

Quote Originally Posted by Vrocks View Post
    The window sticker on the regular CTS is only one bar higher, if I remember correctly... It was a rating of around 5 bars and the V got a 1 in both areas, while the CTS got a 2 and a 1.
    I love 1 bar cars!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.