09 CTS-V vs 2010 GT500 - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 09 CTS-V vs 2010 GT500 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by odla "just various rumors" cars are fun! what are the rumors? A plastic piece related to the ...
    cars_are_fun! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Raven Black

Re: 09 CTS-V vs 2010 GT500

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    "just various rumors"
    cars are fun!
    what are the rumors?
    A plastic piece related to the airbag becoming loose due to heat, and clutch springs. I can't post a link nor can I PM because I am too new / have too few posts. I redid my post with the link, now it says a moderator has to review it. Go to teamshelby and search for arning if you would like details.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by cars_are_fun! View Post
    The mustang also suffers from wheelhop - I do not know if the Cadillac also has that problem.

The 04-07 CTS-V (V1) suffered from nasty wheel hop, and too much of which could end up shattering its differential. GM took the time with the design of the 09 CTS-V (V2) to solve the issue (as well as others from the V1). To the point that their solution is now patented. There isn't the wheel hop with the newly designed rear end in the V2.

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/2009-c...river/16817350

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    The 04-07 CTS-V (V1) suffered from nasty wheel hop, and too much of which could end up shattering its differential. GM took the time with the design of the 09 CTS-V (V2) to solve the issue (as well as others from the V1). To the point that their solution is now patented. There isn't the wheel hop with the newly designed rear end in the V2.

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/2009-c...river/16817350
    Thanks, nice video. Quick question - I am not a fan of burning rubber, so my technique with RWD high performance cars is to leave the line at part throttle, then hit full throttle. Will that work with this car, which is more powerful than any I have owned, or will I still get some burning rubber?

8speed is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 04 Escalade, 08 IS-F

Buy a Z06 instead.......twice the car the V or GT500 will ever hope to be!

Quote Originally Posted by 8speed View Post
    The ability to fit 4 or 5 people is important to me.

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Todd, I am in the same situation. I wanted a CTS-V, but my wife totally disagreed - said it was an "old man's car". So I decided on a 2010 GT500 kona blue convertible instead. However, my research keeps pointing me back to the Cadillac. One of the reviews reported that the GT500 convertible did not get some of the handling improvements that the coupe received. I am nervous about the way the mustang holds the road - ones I have ridden in do jump lanes if you hit a large enough bump.

The mustang also suffers from wheelhop - I do not know if the Cadillac also has that problem.

No 2010 GT500s have arrived at dealerships yet, although many have been built, and are sitting on Ford's lots. No reason has been given, just various rumors.

So I plan to keep an eye on this thread (and the forum), and hopefully can make a decision soon. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    The V an old man's car???

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

If you aren't worried about carrying more than one passenger, 8speed is correct. The Vette is king in terms of bang-for-your-buck, and pretty much king regardless...

CADYSHAK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Talking Re: 09 CTS-V vs 2010 GT500

Owned a 07/Z06 , a bit rough to ride in on a daily basis , noisy as well inside , so it really depends on what criteria best suits you,
    The one thing the cts-v doesn't have compared to the Z06 , is respect !
    Every time I'd stop at a light , not one person wanted to challenge me in a race and instead got a BIG thumbs up from everyone .
    I love the look of the big Z vette and if the cts-v were to go for a handsome price , if production were to stop , I'd probably another Z06 .

CADYSHAK

I didn't realize you were a musician that played in the Banned. . .

Thanks, nice video. Quick question - I am not a fan of burning rubber, so my technique with RWD high performance cars is to leave the line at part throttle, then hit full throttle. Will that work with this car, which is more powerful than any I have owned, or will I still get some burning rubber?

Might get a little tire screech and shaking booty, but it should grab and go.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

I just read a review of the GT500 in the July issue of Automobile magazine. It wasn't very positive. It's slower than the V, with 0-60 in 4.5 sec, and the 1/4 mile in 12.8 (but it does reach 117). They said of the handling that "compared to the Camaro SS it was a work in progress". with "minimal road feel", and "mixing hard cornering with heaves or humps spells trouble". "When negotiating quick left/right transitions..., the GT500 felt like it had bowling balls strapped to it's roof". This was the coupe, by the way. The convertible can only be worse. Other flaws were noted as well. It did post .97/.96 g, very slightly better than the V, but the V will clearly out-handle it (as well as the Camaro SS) .

This doesn't sound very promising. Please take your wife for a ride in the V, then the Mustang. I'm sure she'll come to her senses. The V appears to be the superior car, and by some margin.

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    I just read a review of the GT500 in the July issue of Automobile magazine. It wasn't very positive. It's slower than the V, with 0-60 in 4.5 sec, and the 1/4 mile in 12.8 (but it does reach 117). They said of the handling that "compared to the Camaro SS it was a work in progress". with "minimal road feel", and "mixing hard cornering with heaves or humps spells trouble". "When negotiating quick left/right transitions..., the GT500 felt like it had bowling balls strapped to it's roof". This was the coupe, by the way. The convertible can only be worse. Other flaws were noted as well. It did post .97/.96 g, very slightly better than the V, but the V will clearly out-handle it (as well as the Camaro SS) .

This doesn't sound very promising. Please take your wife for a ride in the V, then the Mustang. I'm sure she'll come to her senses. The V appears to be the superior car, and by some margin.

Thanks. Although I haven't seen that article, it hits the nail on the head relative to my concerns. Another review was favorable to the Shelby coupe, but regarding the convertible and its handling, said "be very afraid".

1BlinkGone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none...yet

I dunno. To me, the GT500 is a HIGHLY mixed-bag. I don't think there's enough there to get me on a lot to look at one, even if the salesperson hangs porterhouse steaks around their neck...

N8dawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post

I wouldn't say slower than the V. Many other articles praise the GT500 and Edmunds gets 0-60 in 4.0 and 1/4 in 12.2 which is almost identical but a bit quicker than the V. I prefer the V because it's a sedan but I will admit that the GT500 is a tiny bit quicker in a straight line.

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Has anyone priced the new GT500? I'm not sure what they're going for now, but most of the ones I've seen on dealership lots in the past were marked up WAY over MSRP. I'm not sure if that's the case any more. Just a thought in case price is an issue compared to the V which you can get for below MSRP nowadays.

Again, as the owner of a 550 hp supercharged 2006 Mustang GT and a V2, I have to say they're both great cars in their own right. When I drive my GT it fulfills a different set of emotions for me than the V. It's definitely a muscle car and I feel much younger driving it than my other cars. I get a TON of looks and compliments in it as opposed to almost zero in the V. On smooth pavement it handles very competently, but any imperfections in the roadway translates into all sorts of undesirable sideways motions. I know the 2010 Mustang models are a huge improvement in the handling department, but they still have solid rear axles like the 2005+ ones. I don't care what else they do, it's still the car's weakest link. And if I remember correctly, when Ford came out with the convertible for the 2005+ Mustangs, handling and performance were pretty much equal to that of the coupes. I can't remember how they achieved this, but it was definitely a great selling point of the convertible. I'm not sure if this is the case for the 2010s.

Tony

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.