09 CTS-V vs 2010 GT500 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 09 CTS-V vs 2010 GT500 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I was also looking at the GT500 vs the V. I've wanted a 500 ever the 350 came out in ...
    RWFJR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan

Re: 09 CTS-V vs 2010 GT500

I was also looking at the GT500 vs the V. I've wanted a 500 ever the 350 came out in the 60's. One article struck me and indicated that the 500 was not as confortable on a long run on the interstate which is why I got the V. You can't go wrong with either but the V gives me a little more class and style.

N8dawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by todd03blown View Post
    Where did you get the stats for the '10 GT500 from?
    Edmunds Inside Line test, click on the picture of the car running the quarter and you will see.

todd03blown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by N8dawg View Post
    Edmunds Inside Line test, click on the picture of the car running the quarter and you will see.
    Thanks much!!

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Those are the best times I've seen for a manual v2. Must be some of the car testers are getting better at shifting the man v2 - now that the car has been out for a few months. Lookin good!

Rob

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

I've only owned my V for a few days now so it's too early to make an educated review, but I've owned a 5-speed 2006 Mustang GT, Kenne Bell supercharged with 550 hp at the crank, Ford Racing suspension and aftermarket exhaust for the last 3 years. I love just about everything about the car and it has been the most fun I've ever had on 4 wheels. My biggest complaint about her is the solid rear axle and lack of finesse in the twisties. But for cruising around town I have yet to grow tired of her nor have I failed to smile each and every time I get behind the wheel. The 2010 Mustang has supposedly improved in the handling department and the interior is slightly more upscale. I imagine the car is an absolute dream - if you like muscle cars. The V has so many more amenities and I'd choose it any day for a long road trip vs. the Mustang. To each his own, but I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with either the V or the new GT500. They're definitely different animals, each with their own personality. I'm lucky enough to have one of each (well, technically I don't own a GT500 but I'd say it's pretty darn close in most ways.)

Tony

Fubar75207 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V

For pure performance I think the Ford would be the way to go but you'd have to take all the money you saved buying the GT and spend it on performance upgrades almost immediately. What I mean is, out of the box the CTS-V is a better performer but I think the GT500 has better mods available and the GT500 engine has more room for improvement than the caddy.

N8dawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar75207 View Post
    For pure performance I think the Ford would be the way to go but you'd have to take all the money you saved buying the GT and spend it on performance upgrades almost immediately. What I mean is, out of the box the CTS-V is a better performer but I think the GT500 has better mods available and the GT500 engine has more room for improvement than the caddy.
    How is the V the better performer? they get the same 0-60, GT5 is .1 quicker in the 1/4 and the GT500 has around .5 more Gs in the skidpad.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Let's see if Ford sends the new GT500 to The Ring.

cars_are_fun! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Raven Black

Quote Originally Posted by todd03blown View Post
    Folks - I am new to the board and have decided my next car purchase will be one of these cars. Of course they are 2 completely different cars with a price point difference of 15k or so.

I am looking at them from a pure performance standpoint within this thread.

540hp GT500 (not sure how underrated HP will be since they have not hit the streets)
    556hp CTS-V

I wonder how close performance will be for the normally measured stats like 0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom, skidpad, etc.

I know the GT500 will weigh in around 3950 lbs while the V is around 4300 (that correct?)

Thoughts on the performance between these 2?

Great site by the way, I have spent many hours over the last few days reading a lot of these threads. The V is one outstanding car, kudos to GM!!

Todd, I am in the same situation. I wanted a CTS-V, but my wife totally disagreed - said it was an "old man's car". So I decided on a 2010 GT500 kona blue convertible instead. However, my research keeps pointing me back to the Cadillac. One of the reviews reported that the GT500 convertible did not get some of the handling improvements that the coupe received. I am nervous about the way the mustang holds the road - ones I have ridden in do jump lanes if you hit a large enough bump.

The mustang also suffers from wheelhop - I do not know if the Cadillac also has that problem.

No 2010 GT500s have arrived at dealerships yet, although many have been built, and are sitting on Ford's lots. No reason has been given, just various rumors.

So I plan to keep an eye on this thread (and the forum), and hopefully can make a decision soon. Good luck with whatever you decide.

vperl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by cars_are_fun! View Post
    Todd, I am in the same situation. I wanted a CTS-V, but my wife totally disagreed - said it was an "old man's car". So I decided on a 2010 GT500 kona blue convertible instead. However, my research keeps pointing me back to the Cadillac. One of the reviews reported that the GT500 convertible did not get some of the handling improvements that the coupe received. I am nervous about the way the mustang holds the road - ones I have ridden in do jump lanes if you hit a large enough bump.

The mustang also suffers from wheel hop - I do not know if the Cadillac also has that problem.

No 2010 GT500s have arrived at dealerships yet, although many have been built, and are sitting on Ford's lots. No reason has been given, just various rumors.

So I plan to keep an eye on this thread (and the forum), and hopefully can make a decision soon. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cannot speak for the guys on this board that are really experts on performance vehicles....
    However, in my 4,000 miles on my 2009 CTS-V the wheel hop is not there.

One thing to remember, any mustang is going to get people looking.... they say, look at that bad boy... if it is a Snake they go
    .. WOW , and the cops see you coming miles away.......
    You are in the light of the cops.......

It has been my experience the cops do not have a clue. They See it and say, " Cadillac"......... and look for you in your Mustang....
    I drive by they look at you......
    So if you want to be noticed and thought of by most folks on the street as a guy with a bad ass car, get the GT500 and have a load of fun and the status of people when they adore you.....

Not very many people know of the V, those that do are few and far inbetween....

BY the Way I is old...... But the Vis young and very good looking... Wanna have the ability to have more than one person in the V, and the back is OK to have a couple of folks, you need not need to be a midget to sit in the rear.

Tell your wife to go see and drive the V. She might have a better understanding of the V.....

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

Your wife must be the only person on the planet that thinks a CTS-V is an old man's car, or any recent CTS for that matter. The only thing that skews the age of the buyers is the purchase price, because it many younger buyers just cannot afford. So far, my car has received the most attention from kids and young adults, who are usually busy whipping out their cellphone cameras. The valets, etc all want to know about the car, and they ALL know what it is, even when they haven't seen one before.

As far as the suspension goes, the magnetic shocks really do an amazing job. Mid-turn bumps just don't phase the car, and the suspension really smooths out the rough stuff, even in Sport, while keeping great feel and flat cornering, with tons of grip and great adjustability. The Mustang might have a smidgeon more grip, but I bet the CTS would be faster over real-world roads. The Mustang is a bit of an unknown right now, but in general convertibles flex more and are therefore less precise than coupes or sedans. Between the body flex, solid rear axle, marked front weight bias, and lots of power and torque, I would expect that car to be quite a handful, barring any engineering miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by vperl View Post

Cannot speak for the guys on this board that are really experts on performance vehicles....
    However, in my 4,000 miles on my 2009 CTS-V the wheel hop is not there.

One thing to remember, any mustang is going to get people looking.... they say, look at that bad boy... if it is a Snake they go
    .. WOW , and the cops see you coming miles away.......
    You are in the light of the cops.......

It has been my experience the cops do not have a clue. They See it and say, " Cadillac"......... and look for you in your Mustang....
    I drive by they look at you......
    So if you want to be noticed and thought of by most folks on the street as a guy with a bad ass car, get the GT500 and have a load of fun and the status of people when they adore you.....

Not very many people know of the V, those that do are few and far inbetween....

BY the Way I is old...... But the Vis young and very good looking... Wanna have the ability to have more than one person in the V, and the back is OK to have a couple of folks, you need not need to be a midget to sit in the rear.

Tell your wife to go see and drive the V. She might have a better understanding of the V.....
    I am also old - 62 LOL - so I have to chuckle when I think of her comment. Thanks for the reply, and the advice. I am working on getting her to visit the dealership to see and ride in the car. The cadillac is IMO much safer for my grandchildren - but of course if they got to vote it would be the Mustang......

Now if only I could have both LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    Your wife must be the only person on the planet that thinks a CTS-V is an old man's car, or any recent CTS for that matter. The only thing that skews the age of the buyers is the purchase price, because it many younger buyers just cannot afford. So far, my car has received the most attention from kids and young adults, who are usually busy whipping out their cellphone cameras. The valets, etc all want to know about the car, and they ALL know what it is, even when they haven't seen one before.

As far as the suspension goes, the magnetic shocks really do an amazing job. Mid-turn bumps just don't phase the car, and the suspension really smooths out the rough stuff, even in Sport, while keeping great feel and flat cornering, with tons of grip and great adjustability. The Mustang might have a smidgeon more grip, but I bet the CTS would be faster over real-world roads. The Mustang is a bit of an unknown right now, but in general convertibles flex more and are therefore less precise than coupes or sedans. Between the body flex, solid rear axle, marked front weight bias, and lots of power and torque, I would expect that car to be quite a handful, barring any engineering miracles.
    Thanks for the info. The handling is my biggest concern right now - I have gotten used to the safe feeling my Jeep SRT-8 gives me (all wheel drive and excellent handling), and I shudder when I recall the high performance cars I owned in the 60s and 70s, and how dangerous they were (more than once I hit a bump and jumped a lane, and not speeding, either).

My wife made her comment just based on looking at a picture of the CTS-V, I think a ride on one will have a positive effect.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

"just various rumors"
    cars are fun!
    what are the rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    "just various rumors"
    cars are fun!
    what are the rumors?
    A plastic piece holding the air bag supposedly comes loose due to heat (sunlight, I think), and the latest is clutch springs. Here is a link to one of the posts:

Oops I cannot post the link, I am too new and have too few posts.

If you go to doubleu doubleu doubleu (LOL) teamshelby dot com search for 2010 GT500 holdup resolved. Or, search for Arning - he is a person at Ford that has provided information.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.