How is the manual mode on the auto?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, How is the manual mode on the auto? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Title says it, how is the manual mode in the auto? Paddle shifters? Steering wheel shifters? I get attached to ...
  1. #1
    Heavychevy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    111

    How is the manual mode on the auto?

    Title says it, how is the manual mode in the auto? Paddle shifters? Steering wheel shifters?

    I get attached to my cars (unless they break), and I know at some point I'll be driving little ones around in this car and am seriously considering the auto, but I wont buy it if it feels too much like an auto and the manual mode is lame.

    Is it comparable to a C6 with auto and paddles? I've driven that before.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    edsuski is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    191

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    To be honest - the car has less than 500 miles on it so I am still taking it easy. I will be able to tell you more later, but so far the manual mode (or sport mode) is pretty amazing. If you switch into manual mode - "Sport mode" shows up in the Drivers Information Center display. If you do not push the shifter forward or back - you stay in automatic sport mode. In this mode the car will shift for you and the shifts are noticeably harder and at higher shift points. It feels like you are driving a manual with perfect shifts.

    If you shift manually - everything works just fine - but for the life of me I can't figure out why someone would think they can shift better than the computer. Sure - there are occasions when you might want to hold a gear longer or up-shift sooner because of certain road conditions only a driver can see, but at least for me, those occasions are much rarer than the dreaded missed shift.

    To answer your question - the manual mode seems to work great. However, the automatic in "Sport Mode" works so spectacularly that I don't think you will be using the paddle shifters much. Maybe having them will give the die hard manual guys the "excuse" they need to buy an automatic. Remember - the record ring time was achieved using an automatic and never once did he touch the paddle shifters.....

    Good luck.

  4. #3
    Kadonny's Avatar
    Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    I absolutely love the manual mode. Granted I too only have a few hunderd miles on it, but I like the control the manual mode gives you. If you don't want to be bogged down in 5th or 6th coasting down a back road, keep it in manual and lock in a lower gear. I also like doing hill climbs and such in a lower gear rather than a low rpm climb in an upper gear. Just my take.

    If I want to run fast and hard though, the sport automatic is the way to go. Let the car figure what gear is best. Still, I find myself interacting a bit more (and hear better exhaust sounds) with the manual mode than I thought I would have.....not to mention the throttle blips are way cool.

  5. #4
    Kmajecki's Avatar
    Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,632

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    When i test drove one i didnt really care for the paddles. I mean it works like it should, you hit the button, and it shifts right away. Not like others where you are just giving permission for the auto to upshift. I think i would prob just rely on the computer although for those that actually own one i am sure you can get used to it. The only thing i would miss about the manual is the ability to just push in the clutch and rev it up, oh and the ability to brag about the top speed

  6. #5
    Kmajecki's Avatar
    Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,632

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
    not to mention the throttle blips are way cool.
    Well if that's the case then one problem solved! I love the blips!!!! I didnt know those were possible, as like i said im still just a lowly V1 owner that was lucky enough to test drive V2.

    175mph is just too slow for me! lol jk!

  7. #6
    Heavychevy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    111

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by edsuski View Post
    To be honest - the car has less than 500 miles on it so I am still taking it easy. I will be able to tell you more later, but so far the manual mode (or sport mode) is pretty amazing. If you switch into manual mode - "Sport mode" shows up in the Drivers Information Center display. If you do not push the shifter forward or back - you stay in automatic sport mode. In this mode the car will shift for you and the shifts are noticeably harder and at higher shift points. It feels like you are driving a manual with perfect shifts.

    If you shift manually - everything works just fine - but for the life of me I can't figure out why someone would think they can shift better than the computer. Sure - there are occasions when you might want to hold a gear longer or up-shift sooner because of certain road conditions only a driver can see, but at least for me, those occasions are much rarer than the dreaded missed shift.

    To answer your question - the manual mode seems to work great. However, the automatic in "Sport Mode" works so spectacularly that I don't think you will be using the paddle shifters much. Maybe having them will give the die hard manual guys the "excuse" they need to buy an automatic. Remember - the record ring time was achieved using an automatic and never once did he touch the paddle shifters.....

    Good luck.
    I shift pretty quick and more importantly more smoothly than many of these new transmissions. I remember driving an M6 at a road course last year and the shifts were so violent they chirped the tires, sound cool when you're going straight, but going around a corner at the edge of traction and it breaks the tires loose. Not fun at all.

    Besides, I do mountain runs and track days and driving an auto is plain BORING when your intent is to have fun, at least for me it is. Besides, heel/toe downshifts are great for me too, but I will settle for a paddle shift manual, I refuse to have a computer decide shifts for me all the time.

    However the no-lift shift feature on the manual really makes me want that too. I'll have to drive both and see which seems to fit better. And yes, I agree, 175 mph isnt great for me either. I've done a few jaunts into the 180's in my old E39 M5. Luckily I shouldnt be able to reach more than 175 on the road course (at least in the V) or the auto would be out.

  8. #7
    jvp's Avatar
    jvp
    jvp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    451

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavychevy1 View Post
    but going around a corner at the edge of traction and it breaks the tires loose. Not fun at all.
    With my instructor hat on, let me smack you on the helmet and yell, "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SHIFTING IN A CORNER?!" :-)

    jas (manual: only way to fly)

  9. #8
    Heavychevy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    111

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    LOL, I was wondering if anyone here would catch that. At little talledega road course in Alabama, there is a long sweeping turn that you'll take in third gear, as you exit the sweeper there is a small chicane that you can keep flat through onto the back straight, problem is you'll still be heavily loaded on your passenger side and have to shift to 4th while in that chicane while turning. It was very not cool in the M6.

    There are also tons of increasing, and some decreasing radius turns at Barber Motorsports park that are so long, your exit gear is higher than your entry gear. So yeah, there are those occasions where you will have to shift while turning, especially depending on your gear ratios and how they work on the track.

    I keep leaning towards the manual for sure, but I have my P-car that's a manual so I don't necessarily know if I should have two.

  10. #9
    GMX322V S/C's Avatar
    GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,797

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    About the only thing I'd add to the other owners' comments is upshift response under manual control in my car is slightly delayed while downshift response is basically immediate. It's the same whether I use the paddles or move the lever. Full auto in sport mode is a delight for the most part.

  11. #10
    atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,114

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavychevy1 View Post
    I shift pretty quick and more importantly more smoothly than many of these new transmissions. I remember driving an M6 at a road course last year and the shifts were so violent they chirped the tires, sound cool when you're going straight, but going around a corner at the edge of traction and it breaks the tires loose. Not fun at all.

    Besides, I do mountain runs and track days and driving an auto is plain BORING when your intent is to have fun, at least for me it is. Besides, heel/toe downshifts are great for me too, but I will settle for a paddle shift manual, I refuse to have a computer decide shifts for me all the time.

    However the no-lift shift feature on the manual really makes me want that too. I'll have to drive both and see which seems to fit better. And yes, I agree, 175 mph isnt great for me either. I've done a few jaunts into the 180's in my old E39 M5. Luckily I shouldnt be able to reach more than 175 on the road course (at least in the V) or the auto would be out.
    Aside from the delimiting, was it modded?

  12. #11
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,469

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kmajecki View Post
    Well if that's the case then one problem solved! I love the blips!!!! I didnt know those were possible, as like i said im still just a lowly V1 owner that was lucky enough to test drive V2.

    175mph is just too slow for me! lol jk!
    Blipping the throttle on downshifts really made me love the automatic. I've always been a manual purist, ALWAYS, but this car is making me think twice. Hopefully, there will be one of each at V-Day III...

  13. #12
    Heavychevy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    111

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    Aside from the delimiting, was it modded?

    It was a Dinan S1 at first, and then an S2.

  14. #13
    Short-Throw's Avatar
    Short-Throw is offline CadillacOwners First 09 CTS-V Owner
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, 08 Escalade
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    424

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavychevy1 View Post
    Title says it, how is the manual mode in the auto? Paddle shifters? Steering wheel shifters?

    Is it comparable to a C6 with auto and paddles? I've driven that before.
    The paddles are somewhat similar to the Corvette.


    The paddles/gear selector in manual mode do not replace a true manual.

    Here are some differences:

    With the paddles, the engine blips and does a great job. With a manual you can blip and catch the gear when you want. The paddles are more precise but do not give you ultimate control.

    The up-shifts and downshifts are not quicker with the paddles vs the manual. The up-shifts in pure auto-mode will be faster than manually shifting no matter how fast you think you are.

    You will never miss a shift with the paddles, they won't even let you over-rev the engine.

    The paddles actually work quite well in traffic. 2nd gear starts and engine braking almost simulate the true manual effect.

    Bottom line:

    The paddles give you a great option to drive the car with more control, but do not replace a true manual whatsoever. If this wasn't a 2-ton+ luxury sedan, (that just happens to be one of the best performing to date) I would have chosen the manual. This is not a car you will want to track given it's weight. Because this car is equipped with such niceties, it is a pleasure to sit back once in a while and enjoy them without the right arm work out.





    Mike

  15. #14
    jvp's Avatar
    jvp
    jvp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    451

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    Mike -

    Quote Originally Posted by Short-Throw View Post
    TThis is not a car you will want to track given it's weight.
    We've had this discussion over the phone and online. And, no matter how many times you say this, I still disagree with you.

    Will it perform like our Z06s at the race track? Hell no.

    Will it be a dog at the race track? No way.

    I've seen these cars beaten (hard) at the race track. When given to a good driver, they can run with Z51, LS3 equipped Corvette coupes.

    Remember your perspective. Light weight, toss-able GT (or your race car). It doesn't mean a 2-ton SPORT/luxury sedan such as the V won't be entertaining at the track. It'll just be... different.

    jas

  16. #15
    Short-Throw's Avatar
    Short-Throw is offline CadillacOwners First 09 CTS-V Owner
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, 08 Escalade
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    424

    Re: How is the manual mode on the auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by jvp View Post
    Mike -

    I've seen these cars beaten (hard) at the race track. When given to a good driver, they can run with Z51, LS3 equipped Corvette coupes.
    .

    jas
    Jason,

    You're over focused again and seem to perpetually look for a reason to disagree. This has nothing to do with timed performance.

    I am not suggesting to not track the V2 because it may post slower times or not be fun. The fact is this car will punish the majority of cars out there. Let me be clear so you don't misunderstand me. Any car is fun on track including the Miatas we race (that have trouble seeing 100mph on long straights).

    The V2 is heavy, it will require a lot more maintenance that you may realize.

    A little history:

    We race 4 door BMWs at our driving school and despite pushing in the turns, being 100% street cars and relatively boring cars, they are fun on track. Why, because any car requires the driver to extrapolate the best from it and doing so makes it fun.

    When our track first opened every member showed up with their expensive cars.

    E55s, M5s. AMGs, you name it, etc..

    It didn't take long to learn that such heavy cars require a lot of expensive maintenance. We have had members take out their Bentleys just to open them up and see what they could do, pretty funny stuff.

    A heavier car means more stress transferred to all the performance parts. The brakes (yes, Brembos are great, I have them on all my cars), suspension (tie-rods, etc..). You will blow through tires rapidly as well.

    The kind of power this car makes will require stopping from much faster speeds, this is brutal on a car carrying a lot of mass.

    You have not seen these cars beaten on track long enough to know what's involved keeping them fresh.

    While I admit the weight would take away some of the fun factor for me on track, the V2 is quite a capable car and would be an absolute blast flogging on. I will take my V2 on track on a very limited basis.

    If we can get enough interest I would even consider having a CTS-V day at Autobahn for those that want to learn more about their car on how to preserve the equipment better.

    A track car is fun when it spends more time on the track, not the rack. I've unfortunately experienced both a lot to know the difference.



    Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting