Motorweek 2009 CTS-V Road Test
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Motorweek 2009 CTS-V Road Test in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; For those interested Motorweek's featured road test car this week is the 2009 CTS-V. Check your local PBS listings for ...
    readyact is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Motorweek 2009 CTS-V Road Test

For those interested Motorweek's featured road test car this week is the 2009 CTS-V. Check your local PBS listings for air times. Here's a write up regarding the road test:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2814a.shtml

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

Re: Motorweek 2009 CTS-V Road Test

Even if I've heard it all before, its nice to read everyone hype it.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

wow. I'm really disappointed with the times. Something is wrong. My Jeep srt8 w/ a cold air intake and exhaust is a high 12's vehicle also but it weights 4700lbs w/ a 6.1L 420hp. Not too mention it does 0-60 in about 4.5 so even the 60mph time is better. Something is up....This vehicle should be a high 3sec car running low 12's. I'm disappointed especially since gm stated their performance numbers and they are MUCH BETTER.

jasaero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 BLK Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    wow. I'm really disappointed with the times. Something is wrong. My Jeep srt8 w/ a cold air intake and exhaust is a high 12's vehicle also but it weights 4700lbs w/ a 6.1L 420hp. Not too mention it does 0-60 in about 4.5 so even the 60mph time is better. Something is up....This vehicle should be a high 3sec car running low 12's. I'm disappointed especially since gm stated their performance numbers and they are MUCH BETTER.
    This is Motorweek. High performance vehicles aren't really their strong suit.

Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    This is Motorweek. High performance vehicles aren't really their strong suit.
    Gm stated that the cts-v goes 0-60 in 3.9 and the 1/4 in 12sec flat. I havent seen even one of several magazines or tests produce anywhere near that number. Now maybe this is a motor that really wakes up after being broken in but so far i'm disappointed that my 130hp less and 500lbs heavier suv is running similar times.

tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Well...let's see.

Jeep SRT8 = All-wheel drive

2009 CTS-V = Not all-wheel drive

This is like comparing apples to oranges. I really think the SRT8s are cool, hell I almost bought one 9 months ago, but you are taking the Jeeps best quality (neck-snapping acceleration) and basically comparing it to the worst quality of the V. The V was clearly set up for road racing, not drag racing.

I'll throw out another comparison. How would the Jeep hold up to the V from 100 MPH to 191 MPH? I would be willing to say...not very good. Or would the Jeep lap the Nurburgring in under 8 minutes...probably not.

Either way, they are both cool rides, you just have to keep certain performance characteristics of each vehicle in perspective.

^ my point is if gm stated the 0-60mph being 3.9 and nobody in the mags is managing to pull better than a 4.2/4.3. My issue is that if they're going to post such great numbers i'd like to see the proof. I'm sure most owners wouldnt be able to pull those times but it would be good to know if they are even possible or not.

tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I agree with that. I don't know how the car companies determine their performance numbers, but sometimes it seems like they put a professional racecar driver in the car and whatever the best time he runs is the number that they claim. I hope that is not the case. They need to have the times be repeatable so that regular people on the street can match the times.

One thing to think about could be that GM's performance testing was at sea level or a very low elevation and some of the others may have been at higher elevations.

HPCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Roll-out?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108791

The first time we tested the STS-V, we recorded a best run of 5.1 seconds. So we called the guys at GM to tell them their car doesn't accelerate from 0-60 mph in less than 5 seconds. Figuring there must be something wrong with the car, General Motors sent a powertrain engineer from Detroit to check it out. The car was fine. But he did notice we didn't use any roll-out in our acceleration tests, which GM and many car magazines do.

Roll-out essentially gives the car 12 inches of movement before you start the clocks. You know, a head start. So we humored the guy, recalculated our radar gun and made a few more runs. Sure enough, with 12 inches of roll-out, the car's best 0-60-mph run was 4.9 seconds. Too bad we don't test with roll-out. Our 0-60-mph test starts at zero mph. So our official 0-60-mph time for the STS-V is 5.1 seconds.
    Maybe more magazines are feeling the heat from readers calling BS and stopped testing with roll-out. But 7-tenths seems like an eternity in the quarter, roll-out or no roll-out; it's like a 100 feet at 100 MPH--a complete blow-away...

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Gm stated that the cts-v goes 0-60 in 3.9 and the 1/4 in 12sec flat. I havent seen even one of several magazines or tests produce anywhere near that number.
    You must not read a lot of magazines:

Motor Trend- 4.1 and 12.3

Car and Driver 4.0 and 12.6

Those are the two big boys (as far as car rags go), and we've been discussing the articles for weeks now. Variances due to driver and location will occur, but to say that "not one magazine has even come close" is ridiculous.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

HPCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

^ ...and at least back in 2005, C&D implied they did factor in roll-out: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ollout_feature

As mentioned elsewhere in the forum, C&D has flatly stated their testing procedure prohibits taking advantage of the no-lift feature, hence the .3 advantage they produced with the auto over the manual--however, several months ago, Popular Mechanics mentioned that in a side-by-side drag race at the post-'Ring Milford demos, the auto walked away from the manual. I would assume GM drivers would've been employing no-lift...

Gm stated that the cts-v goes 0-60 in 3.9 and the 1/4 in 12sec flat. I havent seen even one of several magazines or tests produce anywhere near that number. Now maybe this is a motor that really wakes up after being broken in but so far i'm disappointed that my 130hp less and 500lbs heavier suv is running similar times.
    12.2 in the quarter and and 3.9 0-60 seem pretty darned close to the promise in my opinion?? Not to mention the times The Tony Show mentioned from the other big mags.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7113

^ my mistake than, as thats a new article I haven't seen yet. Most of the mags that did pre-production testing ( before buyers got their hands on them ) ran the times i posted......wait those times are the exact times that gm released...you sure they didnt just copy that info from them ?

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Ohferchrissake. Anything with as much power as a CTS-V is grossly traction-limited off the line. 0-60 is a low-speed metric, with this much power it's purely a measure of off-the-line traction.

The E55 and E63 wagons always turn in quicker 0-60 times than the sedans, 'cause they've got an extra couple hundred pounds of butt to keep the tires planted.

If you care about power, you're looking at 0-150 times, or distance-to-speed numbers for 100, 150mph.

^ my mistake than, as thats a new article I haven't seen yet. Most of the mags that did pre-production testing ( before buyers got their hands on them ) ran the times i posted......wait those times are the exact times that gm released...you sure they didnt just copy that info from them ?
    They tested it and it has data on stopping distance and slalom that isn't provided by Caddy. Also have different times for Auto and Manual that Caddy never provided. Cadillac's times HAVE been duplicated and it happened about a month ago now! Period, End of Story!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.