2009 CTS-V D3 Wheel Options - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 2009 CTS-V D3 Wheel Options in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Fire and Ice Ok, I think this post has veered a little off course. I could ask ...
    edsuski is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 2009 CTS-V D3 Wheel Options

Quote Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
    Ok, I think this post has veered a little off course. I could ask James to photochop some images, but remember the sale ENDS tomorrow. We did weight the wheels and the factory 19" wheel with tire weighs as much as our 3 piece wheel in a 20" wheel with tire so there would be minimal to no loss of performance.
    Craig,

Thanks for your input, but I'm sure you realize that two wheels that weigh the same can easily have drastically different rotational inertia and thus result in significantly different performance impact. Admittedly, the later information is rarely available - however, D3 has a somewhat unique opportunity to be able to provide customers with this vital information further demonstrating that you guys are the "experts" in performance.

Don't misunderstand - weight would be valuable information - but providing rotational inertia data would really set your company apart from the competition.

Ed

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
    I agree that wheel weights affect performance. Its track proven.
    I disagree that the factory put very much thought in, or designed this car around these specific wheels/weights. To hint that changing to a set of high quality 3 piece wheels that are close to factory sizes would skew performance of this tank seems a bit unfounded. I'd be willing to bet a cold beer that most brands of wheels chosen by this snobbish crowd (me included) would be at least a pound or two lighter per corner than stock.
    All that being said,
    I like 3A (or A3), but in the dark grey with the hoop coated also.

CSX, most wheel manufac offer the "blind side" option to hide the bling heads, not sure about Forgeline.

Jeff-
    I do believe the stock wheels are forged. So it will be hard to get better wheels. But while I certainly hate dubs for their ungodly weight, I'm not so concerned with it that I won't get wheels that are a tad heavier if they look amazing. On the track? That's a different story...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Ketzer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): aintgotnarn

So let me get this straight,
    You guys think that a wheel of the same basic size and equal or probably lesser weight could have such a significantly different mass that it would effect the rotational inertia to such a degree that you would be able to notice it while you're hot lapping down to the Piggly Wiggly to get some Cheetos? This is hilarious! I love hearing engineers debate.

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    I think that's a fair desire/question on your part. But you're in the wrong crowd here, these folks are much more concerned about the looks it has over how they're fracking up the factory designs of their performance sedan. Go figure.
    Panderer. That's a broad swath...

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Panderer. That's a broad swath...
    Hey man, nobody said anything about swathin broads

Wait, wut?

I didn't think that was still legal in Texas? Maybe here in the backwoods...

gotapex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Alas, none yet

Quote Originally Posted by edsuski View Post
    Also, un-sprung weight is important, but rotational inertia is more important. What do you guys think?
    Definitely. It makes a big difference. The further out you move the weight on the wheel, the larger the difference too. That's why 20" wheel/tires need to be substantially lighter than 19" wheel/tires to merely equal the straightline performance.

Another issue is going +1 on the diameter changes the amount of sidewall you have, often decreasing the overall grip. It also makes the breakaway characteristics (the transition between grip and slide) less linear, more unpredictable.

So let me get this straight,
    You guys think that a wheel of the same basic size and equal or probably lesser weight could have such a significantly different mass that it would effect the rotational inertia to such a degree that you would be able to notice it while you're hot lapping down to the Piggly Wiggly to get some Cheetos? This is hilarious! I love hearing engineers debate.
    It can. If the difference in weight is enough, you can feel it pretty easily, not only in straight line acceleration, but with braking performance too.

For instance Dymag CF/Mg wheels (like on the Koenigsegg, Mosler, and Callaway) weigh roughly 17-19 lbs in 19".

A 10-15 lb per corner weight savings (40-60 lbs total) in rotational weight is reasonably noticable.

If we're talking only a couple lbs per corner, it's far harder to feel.

Agree with every bit of that. Just commenting that the product that this thread was started about is high quality. What D3 is offering is a better styled (opinion), prolly lighter, strong as or stronger than OE wheel choice. There really is no reason to question if it would hurt the performance of an otherwise stock vehicle. Most are gonna buy stock sizes and run the OE tires, we aren't talking about putting China made 22s on. Why cast this shadow of a negative effect that won't even exist?

BTW gotapex, saw a couple of Moslers at SEMA with the Dyamags. Ultimate wheel pron! One was in the Nelson booth... 1800hp. Sick.

edsuski is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Agree with every bit of that. Just commenting that the product that this thread was started about is high quality. What D3 is offering is a better styled (opinion), prolly lighter, strong as or stronger than OE wheel choice. There really is no reason to question if it would hurt the performance of an otherwise stock vehicle. Most are gonna buy stock sizes and run the OE tires, we aren't talking about putting China made 22s on. Why cast this shadow of a negative effect that won't even exist?

BTW gotapex, saw a couple of Moslers at SEMA with the Dyamags. Ultimate wheel pron! One was in the Nelson booth... 1800hp. Sick.
    I think that it comes down to whether you are willing to spend $5K plus on looks that reduce performance at all or whether you want to make sure your investment improves performance. Without knowing the rotational inertia - it is very difficult to gauge.

I agree that for most - it isn't as important as looks.

Yeah, crazy vehicles. Nelson Racing Engines makes some absolutely insane stuff. I think I'd need an extra set of underwear driving one of those things.

LV_V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Evo Green V Coupe - 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by edsuski View Post
    I think that it comes down to whether you are willing to spend $5K plus on looks that reduce performance at all or whether you want to make sure your investment improves performance. Without knowing the rotational inertia - it is very difficult to gauge.

I agree that for most - it isn't as important as looks.
    Are you serious pal?? Please...

We're talking about going from a 19" OEM wheel to a 20" high-performance 3-piece here, not 22 or 24" anchors... Don't you have something better to be doing than posting 15 times in a thread about this?

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
    your question was a bit odd.

click here please so that YOU can add this value of which you speak
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/subscribe.html

Yeah..... Pay up, you bottom feeders!
    And I gotta know what a carbon fiber rim costs. Thats wild.

LV_V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Evo Green V Coupe - 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by V-Love View Post
    I believe it was like $10k+ a set. They're not meant to be daily driven, unless you have perfect roads everywhere you drive, which is not reality.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Love View Post
    They're $6k-10k or so, depending on size.

They're EXTREMELY strong too. You can attack berms hard on them, hard enough to crack normal aluminum wheels. If you hit them hard enough to break them, you have much bigger worries (ie. destroyed suspension). Even then, chances are you'll break the spokes first, way before the CF hoops.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.