Stick or Auto
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Stick or Auto in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Guy's I'm looking at ordering a new V but just not sure on the transmission? Should I go with Stick ...
    Somefun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Stick or Auto

Guy's I'm looking at ordering a new V but just not sure on the transmission? Should I go with Stick or the auto? I've read the auto is real good but just not sure how good it would be on the track down shifting when your coming to a turn? What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OldRoadDawg is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: Stick or Auto

Uh-h... maybe you should watch the video of Heinricy turning a 7:59 at Nurburgring with an auto.

I was talking with Andy Pilgrim on Fri morn at the CTS-V Driving Lab at Monticello, he firmly believes the auto is the way to go.

And both of those guys have a reasonable amount of time piloting the '09 CTS-V with an auto trans on the track. JMO

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Stick. How else am I gonna get to 200mph on the way to work?

harrysstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS V and 2012 CTS V Sedan BD Corsa

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    Stick. How else am I gonna get to 200mph on the way to work?
    Hey, that`s good CVP but the manual is top speed rated 193 mph and auto is 175 mph.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Somefun View Post
    Guy's I'm looking at ordering a new V but just not sure on the transmission? Should I go with Stick or the auto? I've read the auto is real good but just not sure how good it would be on the track down shifting when your coming to a turn? What do you guys think?
    If you are a heel and toe master, get the manual. If you're not, get the auto! It rev matches for you. You still need to downshift at the right time and have the car properly settled so it won't drive the car for you like the robotic GT-R. But it shifts wonderfully...

Somefun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yeah I was thinking the stick also....193 just sounds good!!! I just don't think I could buy a HOT ROD like this with the automatic.. Hey do you guy's now what the no lift shift is all about?

I just don't think I could buy a HOT ROD like this with the automatic...
    Like Burger King, you can have it your way. But I don't see people bitching to Ferrari about having 2 pedals and paddles.

CopperSunburstCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yeah I was thinking the stick also....193 just sounds good!!! I just don't think I could buy a HOT ROD like this with the automatic.. Hey do you guy's now what the no lift shift is all about?
    While your foot is pressed on the accelerator, press the clutch in and the electronic engine controls hold the RPM for a second (instead of winding up wildly) while you shift so there is no loss in the transition. Even with this super cool feature the automatic is still as fast or faster. I do miss my 5-speed manual in my 03 CTS, but for a daily driver, it got old real fast, but i do need a weekend manual car, it just won't be my daily driver.

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.

Quote Originally Posted by harrysstsv View Post
    Hey, that`s good CVP but the manual is top speed rated 193 mph and auto is 175 mph.
    Thought it was 191. Manual feels great. After tracking with the rubber shifter in my 05, the 09 is unreal. I think I'll be faster with the manual. If not, I have work to do. I can't imagine the auto being faster with no lift shifts done properly. Besides, It just felt so right at home on the track. I never drove the auto but will test one(mabey).

Quote Originally Posted by V-Love View Post
    Thought it was 191. Manual feels great. After tracking with the rubber shifter in my 05, the 09 is unreal. I think I'll be faster with the manual. If not, I have work to do. I can't imagine the auto being faster with no lift shifts done properly. Besides, It just felt so right at home on the track. I never drove the auto but will test one(mabey).
    How's your heel and toe? If you master that and drive the manual enough, you could be faster(maybe).

caddynoob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I am having a hard time deciding between the two. The automatic will probably have a better resale value. The automatic is also faster at slower speed due to more aggressive gearing.

I will probably get myself a BMW 135 convertible in addition, if it turns out that I miss the stick shift too much.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Auto for sure. Ask anyone who has driven the car, they all (including Heinricy) champion the auto.

Another factor for me is the lack of handbrake. Call me old school but I think the lack of a proper handbrake compromises the safety, especially in the case of uphill start. Unless GM has borrowed the up hill assist feature form Subaru where the brake is automatically applied for you.

asabase is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Uphill starts are easy in an auto though. Only two pedals to push at once instead of three. You don't need a handbrake to act as a brake pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by asabase View Post
    Uphill starts are easy in an auto though. Only two pedals to push at once instead of three. You don't need a handbrake to act as a brake pedal.
    Exactly. I am almost certain that I am going with the automatic. Most likely automatic without sunroof, just like the one ran the ring in under 8 minutes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.