Stick or Auto - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Stick or Auto in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I would like to see the stick vs manual on the 1/4 mile. As soon as we get some more ...
    V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.

Re: Stick or Auto

I would like to see the stick vs manual on the 1/4 mile. As soon as we get some more delivered, lets get those time slips posted.

caddynoob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My money is on the auto.

But objective performance figures and subjective fun factor are two different things. The manual is probably more rewarding to drive.

Caddyscat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, Radiant silver, Loaded, Auto

We're getting both. Wife's getting the auto in crystal red. Im getting the Manual in thunder gray.

There's no foot brake in the manual, it's button operated hill assist. Don't any of you read motor trend? it's funny watching you guys go around in circles. Im waiting for someone else to ask when AWD is coming out. Again.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Caddyscat View Post
    We're getting both. Wife's getting the auto in crystal red. Im getting the Manual in thunder gray.

There's no foot brake in the manual, it's button operated hill assist. Don't any of you read motor trend? it's funny watching you guys go around in circles. Im waiting for someone else to ask when AWD is coming out. Again.
    Well, someone has money and the ego to match.

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by caddynoob View Post
    My money is on the auto.

But objective performance figures and subjective fun factor are two different things. The manual is probably more rewarding to drive.
    Wow...I'm definitely missing something if the auto takes the manual in the 1/4 mile.

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Caddyscat View Post

Hard to read anything when we're busy going around in circles.

Might want to rethink the color choice: Tony tells me that there's an Arrogant Puce coming mid-year.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna. View Post
    Wow...I'm definitely missing something if the auto takes the manual in the 1/4 mile.
    The Auto has slight advantage on overall gear ratio in the first 3 gears. Car and Driver also got better numbers from the Auto.

It is actually not all that uncommon. I think 977 Turbo auto (non PDK version) and even tunedToyota Supra with 4spd auto are also examples where the auto is as fast or faster than stick shift.

The Auto has slight advantage on overall gear ratio in the first 3 gears. Car and Driver also got better numbers from the Auto.

It is actually not all that uncommon. I think 977 Turbo auto (non PDK version) and even tunedToyota Supra with 4spd auto are also examples where the auto is as fast or faster than stick shift.
    The slight gearing advantage, which admittedly I haven't calculated, as manuals often have gearing advantages over their auto counterparts, has to overcome weight and the fact that auto transmissions aren't direct drive. Wow...these kinds of exceptions just blow my mind...

The slight gearing advantage, which admittedly I haven't calculated, as manuals often have gearing advantages over their auto counterparts, has to overcome weight and the fact that auto transmissions aren't direct drive. Wow...these kinds of exceptions just blow my mind...
    Many automatic transmission also lock up in all gears except first. IS-F and AMG models comes to mind. I believe this is also the case for the 09 CTS-V. In first gear, traction is the issue rather than power.

Keep in mind that we are only talking about upshifts here. On the track, it is a different story. Incidentally, the CTS-V does pretty well on the track with its automatic transmission as well.

Many automatic transmission also lock up in all gears except first. IS-F and AMG models comes to mind. I believe this is also the case for the 09 CTS-V. In first gear, traction is the issue rather than power.
    Thanks--I didn't know they locked up in all gears but first. I'm old school, as I thought they didn't lock up until, say, 4th gear or so.

The biggest issue for me is the weight though. Is it something like 100 lbs more? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be way off. In any case, if it's about that, good lord---that's a lot of additional weight to push down the road, especially when the manual doesn't have that weight disadvantage.

Thanks--I didn't know they locked up in all gears but first. I'm old school, as I thought they didn't lock up until, say, 4th gear or so.

The biggest issue for me is the weight though. Is it something like 100 lbs more? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be way off. In any case, if it's about that, good lord---that's a lot of additional weight to push down the road, especially when the manual doesn't have that weight disadvantage.
    100lb is a less than 2.5% increase compared to the manual (4200lb vs 4300lb). I wouldn't worry too much about the weight increase. The weight added by the sunroof is a different story. I think it's also close to 88lb, but that will probably change the center of gravity quite a bit.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Torque-converter lockup isn't exactly a performance feature...

Poorman08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Stick is the way to go, I've driven in traffic with uphills and everything sure it's a bit of a PITA but you get the real pleasure when you're crusing freely and shifting thru the gears. No paddle shift automatic would give the same feeling as a car with a clutch and a gearbox

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

This is one instance where when having the fastest sedan with the most power, I want the fastest version available. So if that's the automatic, that's what I want...

CSX
    CSX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V....coming soon

Most C5 and C6 Corvette owners I've spoken too also say that auto 'Vettes put down quicker times than their manual counterparts as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.