Stick or Auto - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Stick or Auto in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Maybe it's the purist in me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I don't live in ...
    CSX
    CSX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V (Oh yea, it'll happen)

Re: Stick or Auto

Maybe it's the purist in me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I don't live in a hilly area and/or inclement weather. Or perhaps it's because everything I own has a manual transmission. But there's no way I will get a CTS-V with anything put a proper six-speed with three pedals on the floor. Even if the auto proves to be the better performer, it simply cannot provide that "connection" I feel with a car that has a manual transmissions.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by CSX View Post
    Maybe it's the purist in me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I don't live in a hilly area and/or inclement weather. Or perhaps it's because everything I own has a manual transmission. But there's no way I will get a CTS-V with anything put a proper six-speed with three pedals on the floor. Even if the auto proves to be the better performer, it simply cannot provide that "connection" I feel with a car that has a manual transmissions.
    It's a good thing F1 drivers don't need any "connection" to their race cars...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

CSX

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    It's a good thing F1 drivers don't need any "connection" to their race cars...
    Yes, good thing, especially since purpose-built race cars have so much in common world-class sport sedans.

I'm sure 99% of all CTS-V owners do not hold professional race credentials, and therefore, are most are far less concerned with cutting down lap times by that last 1/10th of a second, and far more concerned with "the drive". And to me, that driving experience simply can't be enjoyed without rowing my own gears.

Sure, it may be far easier to nail the perfect downshift in an F430 using Ferrari's F1 gearbox...pull the paddle, let the computer do the work for you...but I feel that it would be infinitely more satisfying (albeit more difficult) to execute using your left foot and right hand working in unison.

But, as I said, I'm a purist, and I'm ok with being one of the (very) few who orders their V with a manual tranny.

Yes, good thing, especially since purpose-built race cars have so much in common world-class sport sedans.

I'm sure 99% of all CTS-V owners do not hold professional race credentials, and therefore, are most are far less concerned with cutting down lap times by that last 1/10th of a second, and far more concerned with "the drive". And to me, that driving experience simply can't be enjoyed without rowing my own gears.

Sure, it may be far easier to nail the perfect downshift in an F430 using Ferrari's F1 gearbox...pull the paddle, let the computer do the work for you...but I feel that it would be infinitely more satisfying (albeit more difficult) to execute using your left foot and right hand working in unison.

But, as I said, I'm a purist, and I'm ok with being one of the (very) few who orders their V with a manual tranny.
    So...3 pedals to be a purist, OK...

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

My view: there's automatics that work with the car, and automatics that work against the car.

The biggest weaknesses are jerky behavior off the line and part-throttle kickdown reluctance (which I think might be CAFE-mileage-tuning related; they want the car to stay in the highest gear possible on the EPA rollers.) Some cars have torque converters that are too tight, a few too loose, some too quick to go into lockup (and too resistant to unlocking.)

The Germans seem to have a lot of trouble getting things right -their 'tiptronic', 'steptronic' etc controls are sluggish crap, BMW's 'steptronic' shifters started working backward around 2001, and they seem to like second-gear starts - though oddly enough I once drove a '98 M3 automatic that worked beautifully. I've driven Falcons in Australia that used the same ZF 6HP26 transmission as a BMW 550i - but the shifter works right and the kickdown behavior is better.

That said, the more torque an engine's got, the easier it is to get the engine-transmission mating right, and I'm not a three-pedal purist.

darjae is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Crystal Red

I'm getting the auto cause that's what the dealer ordered stick otherwise, wife-be-damned

caddynoob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Shifting yourself can be a lot of fun, but I think it depends on what you gonna use the car for. If I am not gonna have another car with stick shift in my garage, I would opt for the manual without second thoughts. I just love the vibration that I get from the shifter.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I like a manual because of the added feel but I don't think a car like the V really needs one. The only reason why manual transmissions stuck around was because autos weren't able to handle the high horsepower or track usage (heat), and they only had 4-5 gears for a long time. Now they shift faster than a human can and we have the option of overriding the computer.

The only thing I don't like about an auto is, the locking and unlocking of the torque converter. I figure it's necessary for fuel economy ratings... if there was a mod that I'd like to have, it would be to change the way the torque converter locks and unlocks.

CSX

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    So...3 pedals to be a purist, OK...
    In my opinion, yes. But as they say...to each his own.

CSX

Quote Originally Posted by caddynoob View Post
    Shifting yourself can be a lot of fun, but I think it depends on what you gonna use the car for. If I am not gonna have another car with stick shift in my garage, I would opt for the manual without second thoughts. I just love the vibration that I get from the shifter.
    Like I said, pretty much everything I own is manual (with the exception of the Mazda sedan, but that was given to me, it wasn't my choice), and with the exception of having in auto in a truck, I foresee it staying that way. The V will be a daily driver...a stick just makes the commute that much more interesting.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

^ I agree - thats why oddly i'm the first person to put a deposit for a manual cts-v. I will be using it as my daily driver and although it isnt much fun sitting in traffic with a stick it is alot more enjoyable and keeps me awake and aware. Not too mention i believe it will be a few more years untill they perfect the auto/dual clutch trans to take high hp/tq abuse. This would be a first year model with a brand new engineered high hp auto trans from gm. That in itself to me is asking for issues. I am more than sure if there are any tsb's/recalls it will probally be for the auto tranny. Not too mention more than one magazine/test has show that the auto trans isn't downshifting as well as it can....Oh and it takes up another additional cooler in the front of the vehicle.

onelove is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The main reason why AMG products have never, ever been on my shopping list is because you can't get them with manual trannies. IMO, there is nothing like the feel of a perfectly executed downshift going into a turn or the all too familiar 1-2 powershift in a manual trans car with lots of power.

I understand from a purely academic standpoint, new autos and computerized manual trannies can offer better performance than a traditional manual, but I don't care. I'll put up with the hassle of shifting in traffic (and where I live we have the 2nd worst traffic in the nation) just for the smile a true manual puts on my face when I get a chance to let the V stretch her legs.

As impressive as the auto was with Andy at the wheel (I got to ride with him at a Caddy event) when I finallhy trade up to a V2, I will be looking at manuals.

kaka.

CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

Getting a STS-V with an auto made me miss the manual in my old CTS-V. I miss the 25/26 mpg in 6th gear and the responsiveness.

I am getting the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by CadV View Post
    Getting a STS-V with an auto made me miss the manual in my old CTS-V. I miss the 25/26 mpg in 6th gear and the responsiveness.

I am getting the stick.
    The auto in the CTS-V is a far cry from the one in the STS-V. I'd suggest a test drive first. And this is from a staunch supporter of manual transmissions...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.