Stick or Auto - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Stick or Auto in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Some more thoughts on this... - F1/SMG type transmission has performance advantage on the track. Though that doesn't mean it's ...
    caddynoob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Stick or Auto

Some more thoughts on this...

- F1/SMG type transmission has performance advantage on the track. Though that doesn't mean it's better around town. The shifting is not always all that smooth.

- Plenty of performance cars comes with automatic only. McLaren SLR, IS-F, and the entire AMG line up. Before PDK, 997 Turbo auto was also slightly quicker than the stick to 60mph and 1/4 mile IIRC.

- On the 09 CTS-V, both auto and manual transmission are well implemented. So, both are very good choice. There is no clear bad choice here per se.

While I am leaning towards the automatic after weighting out the pros and cons. I still think that I will feel more "connected" to the car with the stick shift.

HPCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by jvp View Post
    ...Stop watching JohnH's lap with the auto and saying "If he could do it with the auto, it MUST BE GOOD!" That's not actually true. Watch his post-run interview. He used the auto during his run because he was USING the auto all week at the Ring. He was comfortable with the auto by that point. He wasn't about to trade up to the manual and lose any advantage he might have due to comfort with the vehicle. And he admits to this openly in said interview...
    He also said they shot video of his colleague trying to maintain pace behind him--he's reportedly no slouch but they said he was much busier. Wonder why that video has never been released? Or has it? Just wondering.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Quote Originally Posted by jvp View Post
    It was market demand that brought the stick to the M5 because BMW's SMG sucks and was, and still is, universally hated by driving enthusiasts.

How about wanting to be more involved with driving?

You can ride in your car or you can drive your car. Which would you rather do?

jas

Broken record with your RIDE and DRIVE stuff. You like the manual, we get it. Others like the auto and guess what, they will DRIVE the car too. Move on please. Thanks.

It's your car, pick the transmission that best suits you. End of story. One will probably not be far superior to the other.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

^^ :golf clap:

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
    Broken record with your RIDE and DRIVE stuff. You like the manual, we get it. Others like the auto and guess what, they will DRIVE the car too. Move on please. Thanks.

It's your car, pick the transmission that best suits you. End of story. One will probably not be far superior to the other.
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    ^^ :golf clap:
    Quoted for hotness.

Krug Ford is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I liked driving the Auto.. But a sportscar in my mind has to be a manual.. The burn outs in a manual are unreal..

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by Superior Cadillac View Post
    I liked driving the Auto.. But a sportscar in my mind has to be a manual.. The burn outs in a manual are unreal..
    The auto seemed to "sportscar" the ring just fine and set a record in the process. If I want a real Sportscar with power I would buy a Z06 instead, but the CTS-V is luxury performance model, not sportscar. Then again you don't or haven't owned a have you Mr. Pratt ?

ba83 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): V

I would go with auto
    my reasons
    I dont track the car and auto is plenty fast
    It would be hard to live with a manual every day, 80% cars I have owned so far were manual and it gets old but I still love to some degree
    If I was buying a Z06 there is a reason for 6 speed but for a fast luxury sedan auto is the way to go. Look at M5 , E55
    It would have been great if they made the trans like the IS F I recently test drove. Paddle shifts 0.1 seconds

Karaya Eins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1

After several days of psychological counseling, including but not limited to electro convulsive therapy and an intervention by a renowned cult deprogrammer, I have decided on a manual transmission and the big sun roof.

1. In his Garage 419 interview Heinricey said he preferred the stick.

2. i like a sunroof.

3. The weight I save on the stick will compensate for the extra weight of the sunroof.

4. It is a street car and I want to drive around town with the roof open.

5. The sun roof actually hurts the depreciation when leasing. My GF said so and she sold investments for Hancock for years and is smart on this stuff and hot and her hotness makes her smarter because she explains this sort of thing to me when we are shopping for lingere or doing other things of sexual nature to offer me positive reinforcement when I agree with her.

6. I am smart enough to realize that there are other limits to my abilites that will prevent me from lapping the Nurburgring in less than eight minutes. (I figured this out on my own, though I did run my reasoning by the GF and did get rewarded for my perspecacity)

7. Because I want to.

^^^tehehehe^^^

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya Eins View Post
    7. Because I want to.
    best reason to.

JBsZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp

Love the new CTS V and as an owner of a 08 C6 M6 Z51 and an 08 AWD FE2 DI CTS I'd have to say with the new v series I'd opt for the automatic tranny.

Technology today is just too dam impressive .

Manuals cool but I'd opt the new V series with the automatic tranny.

JMO and Great vehicle either way.

JB

Dark SSide is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm going with the auto because its going to be a daily driver unless bad weather. Also I have clients in the car all the time, but more importantly because my wife says I HAVE to get the auto.

caddynoob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Here is the link to the Garage 419 interview

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8ibDrfmA8

Jump to 7:28 for the auto/stick question.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.