Stick or Auto - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Stick or Auto in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by caddynoob Exactly. I am almost certain that I am going with the automatic. Most likely automatic without ...
    jvp
    jvp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Stick or Auto

Quote Originally Posted by caddynoob View Post
    Exactly. I am almost certain that I am going with the automatic. Most likely automatic without sunroof, just like the one ran the ring in under 8 minutes.
    For what it's worth, if you know how to drive a stick, you don't need the handbrake for "uphill starts" either. The clutch will do the job of momentarily holding the vehicle in place (though doing this for an extended period of time will roast the clutch). The point about the lack of a "proper" handbrake seems... silly. More an excuse to get an auto.

Stop watching JohnH's lap with the auto and saying "If he could do it with the auto, it MUST BE GOOD!" That's not actually true. Watch his post-run interview. He used the auto during his run because he was USING the auto all week at the Ring. He was comfortable with the auto by that point. He wasn't about to trade up to the manual and lose any advantage he might have due to comfort with the vehicle. And he admits to this openly in said interview.

Had he been practicing with the stick all week, he could have easily ripped off a similar (if not identical) lap time with the manual. He's just that good a driver.

If you want to ride in your car: get an auto.
    If you want to DRIVE your car: get a stick.

jas

asabase is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Oh, the parking brake is foot operated on the manual? I hate when cars are like that.

jvp

Quote Originally Posted by asabase View Post
    Oh, the parking brake is foot operated on the manual? I hate when cars are like that.
    Electronic push-button on the center console.

jas

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by jvp View Post
    For what it's worth, if you know how to drive a stick, you don't need the handbrake for "uphill starts" either. The clutch will do the job of momentarily holding the vehicle in place (though doing this for an extended period of time will roast the clutch). The point about the lack of a "proper" handbrake seems... silly. More an excuse to get an auto.

Stop watching JohnH's lap with the auto and saying "If he could do it with the auto, it MUST BE GOOD!" That's not actually true. Watch his post-run interview. He used the auto during his run because he was USING the auto all week at the Ring. He was comfortable with the auto by that point. He wasn't about to trade up to the manual and lose any advantage he might have due to comfort with the vehicle. And he admits to this openly in said interview.

Had he been practicing with the stick all week, he could have easily ripped off a similar (if not identical) lap time with the manual. He's just that good a driver.

If you want to ride in your car: get an auto.
    If you want to DRIVE your car: get a stick.

jas
    And Andy Pilgrim prefers the automatic. And I don't care so much about having a 3rd pedal as I do full control over shifting the vehicle. That, to me, is most important...

jvp

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    And I don't care so much about having a 3rd pedal as I do full control over shifting the vehicle. That, to me, is most important...
    If that were the case... you'd get the manual. :-)

jas

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

How about "Get the one YOU want; it's YOUR money." Living in a large metro area with traffic from hell, the auto is the only way to go IMO.

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    How about "Get the one YOU want; it's YOUR money." Living in a large metro area with traffic from hell, the auto is the only way to go IMO.
    Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    [YOUTUBE]Q3iorVlGPR4[/YOUTUBE]

Karaya Eins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1

Does anyone think they can get a car around that track in 8:00 min? Andy Pilgrim told me his choice was the Auto. He had driven it against an M5 and was a good 7 mph faster on an track. I like to shift for myself, and also know that a paddle shifted SMG M5 is a quicker way. It was market demands in the US that put a stick in it. Stroke you ego or salve its inadequacies, as you see fit. I am in counseling to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya Eins View Post
    Does anyone think they can get a car around that track in 8:00 min? Andy Pilgrim told me his choice was the Auto. He had driven it against an M5 and was a good 7 mph faster on an track. I like to shift for myself, and also know that a paddle shifted SMG M5 is a quicker way. It was market demands in the US that put a stick in it. Stroke you ego or salve its inadequacies, as you see fit. I am in counseling to figure it out.

jvp

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya Eins View Post
    I like to shift for myself, and also know that a paddle shifted SMG M5 is a quicker way. It was market demands in the US that put a stick in it.
    It was market demand that brought the stick to the M5 because BMW's SMG sucks and was, and still is, universally hated by driving enthusiasts.

Stroke you ego or salve its inadequacies, as you see fit.

How about wanting to be more involved with driving?

You can ride in your car or you can drive your car. Which would you rather do?

jas

It was market demand that brought the stick to the M5 because BMW's SMG sucks and was, and still is, universally hated by driving enthusiasts.

How about wanting to be more involved with driving?

You can ride in your car or you can drive your car. Which would you rather do?

jas
    You sound like me...before I drove the automatic '09...

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You sound like me...before I drove the automatic '09...
    You can leave your hat on.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by harrysstsv View Post
    Hey, that`s good CVP but the manual is top speed rated 193 mph and auto is 175 mph.
    Nitrous

gotapex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Alas, none yet

jas

Is it? The vast majority of M5 and M6 are purchased in SMG and the vast majority of the enthusiast owners on the forums across the internet also own the SMG. Looking at the cars come in for performance mods, again, SMG cars clearly outnumber the 6-speed.

The difference here though is the BMW S85 engine has a relatively narrow powerband, and thus worked better with the closer ratio SMG. The closer ratio along with the faster shifting made it the better performing choice. This remains the case even after BMW relented and allowed the 6-speed manual to fully disengage traction control (it wasn't that whay during release).

While some people do prefer the 6-speed for driving enjoyment or tradition, it's clearly the performance loser.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.