What other cars did/are you considering?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, What other cars did/are you considering? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hey everyone. Just signed up, but been doing a lot of reading here the last few days. Like a lot ...
    Boostin' is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

What other cars did/are you considering?

Hey everyone. Just signed up, but been doing a lot of reading here the last few days. Like a lot of you, I find myself in the pleasant (if mesmerizing *L*, hence this post) position of looking for a new premium performance sedan. There are no shortage of choices for such a ride, but I have narrowed it down some to the following group:

Cadillac CTS-V
    AMG C63
    BMW M3

The Cadillac is by far the hp champ of this group, but that of course does not tell the whole story of a car intended to be a daily driver, and not just a weekend toy. I've experience with AMG cars and have tested BMW M cars in the past and both companies make a very formidable overall package. But I think it is testament to Cadillac's new focus of competing directly with the Germans at their own game, that the new CTS-V is being taken seriously as a worthy competitor by a lot of potential customers who would never have given their cars a second thought previously, and all sight unseen! Other than the various articles/vids we've all seen.

My priorities are performance, both in a straight line and in handling. A car that can hit mid 12's (or better) in the quarter and still able to play on a roadcourse or a twisty back road (I enjoy the dragstrip and dabble in autox), without beating you to death while doing so. And as I get old(er), a decent load of creature comforts is also a must *L*.

So I would appreciate any input anyone who's just gone through the same decision making process(or still going through) has into why they made their own particular choice - CTSV or not.

P.S. I did recently have a loaded "regular" 2009 CTS out for an extensive test drive. Not for it's similar performance obviously, but just to get an overall feel for the car's size (I do prefer smaller cars and the CTS is admittendly on the outer limit of what I want there), built quality, interior appointments, etc. and came away very impressed with those aspects of the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: What other cars did/are you considering?

1. C63 AMG, but I hate the interior so it's not much of a contender. I like to enjoy the interior of a car as much as it's performance.
    2. Keep my 04V. It's starting to develop some creaks inside and I've hated the clutch since it's been replaced but I still love this car. I'll divorce her ass if I can get into an 09V without killing my finances.
    3. I like the M3 but there are so many BMW's on the road that I know I wouldn't have the same feeling I have when I look at my 04 V. I hate the ass end of the bangle-butts.
    4. Back to #2

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

In no particular order...

Jaguar XF
    Grand Cherokee SRT8 (Refreshed for 2009)
    Loaded base CTS w/24 mo lease (if can't get GMS right away)
    STS-V (used, dealer offerred me a 2008 with huge discount at $72k lol)

razl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V Light Platinum

None.

It's my 06V or an 09+V.

(sorry for the uninteresting post, just wanted to get my .02 in there!)

v84life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05CTS-v plat, 07 Escalade quicksilver

Thinking of a lot of cars. But my heart is set on the 09V as long as the finances stay at least where they are now till it's time. I'm looking at first of the year delivery.. That being said here are my thoughts...
    In no order... I see all these choices as 2nd choices. I truly believe this new car is worth buying and keeping.
    New SS Camaro
    Pontiac G8 GXP
    CTS di
    M3
    335i
    Used M5
    AMG C63
    Used CLK63
    Used E55
    Used E63
    Audi S6

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Here are the top contenders for me plus a quick explaination.

BMW M3 Too small

BMW M5 Too expensive

AMG E63 Eh, maybe. Love the looks and performance, worried about quality for the cash you lay out

Audi S6 A little expensive, but it is a world class car that for me has surpassed the Benz and it's getting awful close to the BMWs in terms of quality and performance

Jaguar XF Supercharged A serious contender. What a killer car. I'm a little worried about Tata and where they are going to take Jag.

CTS-V. Front runner and will probably be the car. Cost to performance is unbeatable plus I have nothing but good things to say about my dealer and Cadillac in general after owning my STS-V for 2 plus years.

bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

2010 Camaro SS-great price for the V8... $33-35K.
    2009 Cobalt SS Turbocharged-loyalty... I had an 05. For those who don't know, these are sleepers...
    2009 Malibu LTZ-nice design... OK V6.
    2008 BMW 135-compact body w/twin turbo V6.
    2008 BMW M3-seriously thought about it...until I heard about the markups.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

XF-RR or Coupe V. I considered a M3 coupe, but 1 of my friends has one. A C63 would be nice, but the interior isnt to my tastes. And mercedes quality has been hit and miss over the last few years and I havent seen proof its changed yet. They seem to only put money into really chessy commercials. The IS-F looks too boyracer. Im still considering an E55. The interior is nicer the the C-class, but again im skeptical of the quality. Ive seriously considered an E39 M5 and a 06 or 07 V, both.

For me, it really comes down to when this Coupe V shows up, when the XK-R (the 500 hp+ version) shows up, and if I pass any good deals on the previous cars before that time.

Boostin' is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Looks like we've all been checking out most of the same cars. I should have added in my origional post ones I've looked at and ruled out. Mostly because, in stock form anyway, the performance is not quite where I'd like it to be.

Audi S4/S5
    Dodge Charger SRT-8
    Pontiac G8
    BMW 335i
    EVO X

Those are spread across a lot of different markets some might say, and in some ways they are. But I just started looking at sports sedans and lumped anything with a decent rep for performance all in the same pot.

HPCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Nissan GT-R (right up until the unveiling; butterface...)
    Lexus IS-F (if only there was a grown-up's appearance package and two fewer cogs)
    Audi RS4 and S5
    BMW E39 M5 (not the current Dame Edna version)

SoCal-VEE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V (Sold)...making room

1. Jaguar XF Supercharged - This will probably be my wife's next car
    2. C63, E63

Notwithstanding the fact that my 07 V was such a disappointment and i sold it after 1900 miles, the 09V is a serious contender. But damn.....i still have the "once bitten, twice shy" Cadillac shakes. Probably wait a year to see how it pans out.

CTS NV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

G8 GXP: with a mere 415hp, a fair replacement for a 06 CTS-V
    M3 or 335i: the cars that still win every magazine comparison
    Challenger SRT-8: like the style, but not sure about sacrificing 4 doors
    CTS DI would be a contender with more power
    nothing with a slushbox

EricVonHa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

After driving a modified Audi S4 (400awd hp to the wheels) for 6 years and 155k miles, this will be a tough car to beat. I'd consider the Audi RS4, though, it definitely does not have the punch that my twin turbo V6 has. Plus, the Audi pricepoint is skewed @ over 70k.

But, when you compare price per mile driven, my current S4 has been unbeatable. I am serious when I say that even with 155k miles, it still drives like new. There are zero creaks or squeeks in the interior and Blackstone oil analysis(es) show that there is no reason that the motor/bearings would last till 250k miles.

I'm hopeful that GM's new LS motors are up to the task also.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Used 300C SRT8
    Used AMG E63
    Used M5

I honestly don't think I'll ever buy a new car again. Here's my last 4 cars.

2004 CTS-V bought for $47K after 1 year worth $35K.
    2005 CTS-V bought for $47K after 1 year worth $33K.
    2006 SRT8 bought for $45K after 1 year worth $33K.
    2006 SRT8 bought for $43K after 1 year worth $28K.

I'll be waiting for a 1 year old 2009 CTS-V in the low $50's this time around. I just can't justify another new car.

Dark SSide is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    Used 300C SRT8
    Used AMG E63
    Used M5

I honestly don't think I'll ever buy a new car again. Here's my last 4 cars.

2004 CTS-V bought for $47K after 1 year worth $35K.
    2005 CTS-V bought for $47K after 1 year worth $33K.
    2006 SRT8 bought for $45K after 1 year worth $33K.
    2006 SRT8 bought for $43K after 1 year worth $28K.

I'll be waiting for a 1 year old 2009 CTS-V in the low $50's this time around. I just can't justify another new car.
    I'm with you, I bought a Trailblazer SS for almost 40k within the first couple months they were out and its now worth less than 20k. Trailblazer is almost paid off and I will wait.

My uncle is a partner in an extoic used lot and when one comes in on trade I will have mine then for 20k less.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.