velvety - Page 19
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, velvety in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by GNSCOTT You have not lost any money in your 401k until you go to cash it in. ...
    neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: Let me know how it goes --I think I am out

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT View Post
    You have not lost any money in your 401k until you go to cash it in. I never understood why people freek out during a crash. A better reason not to buy the V right now is to invest more money in your 401k while the market is down. Its the stock market. It goes up and down and will continue to go up and down.
    Exactly. I've left my stock investments alone other than to ADD to them during this downturn, in preparation for the next bull market, which WILL come.....always does. Buy low, hold as long as possible! That's how I'm able to afford a V.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Knuguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Its all fine and dandy if your 40 or younger, but if your already 65, your SOL, THAT is the problem. I am only 30 so no worries, I appreciate this sell off so I can jump on board now too. However my father in law quit his job last year after 20+ years of bs and decided to retire, he's out over $14k these past 2-3 weeks. Its pretty substantial if you plan on retiring this year or next. I dont know what percent that is of his total investment, but the average person will "feel" a $14k loss, its not like losing a $20 bill on the street

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT View Post
    You have not lost any money in your 401k until you go to cash it in. I never understood why people freek out during a crash. A better reason not to buy the V right now is to invest more money in your 401k while the market is down. Its the stock market. It goes up and down and will continue to go up and down.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonfrank View Post
    Exactly. I've left my stock investments alone other than to ADD to them during this downturn, in preparation for the next bull market, which WILL come.....always does. Buy low, hold as long as possible! That's how I'm able to afford a V.
    Golly, thanks for reiterating the obvious. For some reason or other.

Note that I wasn't talking in terms of a 401k, just a stock portfolio.

Note also that most folks believe that a given fraction of a stock portfolio can be liquidated for a greater amount of cash when the stock valuation is high than when it is low. Said greater amount of cash then potentially goes further towards procuring a vehicle than a lesser amount of cash.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: velvety

iatm

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

IWTSU

:scribble: I'm writting this down... "buy low, sell high." Gotcha.

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: CTS-V Coupe runs circles around GT-R.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I like your enthusiasm. But the coupe will barely be lighter than the sedan, if at all. The new V finished 8.4 seconds behind the GT-R at VIR at C&D's Lightning Lap. The new V and the coupe is not meant to be a drop everything(including the tranny) car exclusively for the track that the GT-R is...
    The marketing guy that was nannying Andy at Summit Point said that their goal weight for the Coupe V was 800 lbs lighter than the CTS-V. At 3400-3500 lbs and 556 hp / 551 lb-ft, that will be a nasty piece of machinery. That's lower than Z06 pounds per horsepower territory, and assuming it has, at least, the handling capabilities of the CTS-V, it seems like a potent package. Of course, that is their 'goal' weight...

Dr Chill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS, 03 Z06 LS2 408 track car, 07 Q7 tow vehicle

I predict the coupe will be less than 200 lbs lighter than the sedan.

I also predict lower than expected sales with discounts available by February at the latest. This economy and lack of available credit sucks. Dealerships will not invest a lot of capital to keep expensive cars sitting on the lots. They will discount them to move them.

thompson is offline Banned

Question Projected production of CTS-V

How long do you guys think this car will stay in production taking into account the times, economy, CAFE? Maybe up to 2011?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Projected production of CTS-V

The market correction for bad credit is taking place, much fewer are down and out like in the 80s or early 90s, business is still moving, gas is cheaper and the V is small enough in production to keep from effecting GM's overall CAFE number too much.

The V series will be around for awhile...

Mercedez L. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Unhappy Re: Projected production of CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    The market correction for bad credit is taking place, much fewer are down and out like in the 80s or early 90s, business is still moving, gas is cheaper and the V is small enough in production to keep from effecting GM's overall CAFE number too much.

The V series will be around for awhile...
    Cadillac cancelled one of their V-8 engines they had planned for production because it wouldn't meet CAFE standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedez L. View Post
    Cadillac cancelled one of their V-8 engines they had planned for production because it wouldn't meet CAFE standards.
    Yes, but the V can move on with its current engine for quite a while. They will be fine...

EricVonHa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Mark my words, whenever GM gets a really good thing going, it is doomed for the scrap bin in 3 to 4 years.

I'll let someone else fill in the list of high-performance cars that they've killed in this fashion....

thompson is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EricVonHa View Post
    Mark my words, whenever GM gets a really good thing going, it is doomed for the scrap bin in 3 to 4 years.

I'll let someone else fill in the list of high-performance cars that they've killed in this fashion....
    This is true. Impala SS 1994-1996
    Trans-AM, Z-28 1993-2002
    Cyclone truck
    Buick Grand National & GNX

And the Camaro will die again soon as it comes out.
    Attached Images

Re: CTS-V Coupe runs circles around GT-R.

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    The marketing guy that was nannying Andy at Summit Point said that their goal weight for the Coupe V was 800 lbs lighter than the CTS-V. At 3400-3500 lbs and 556 hp / 551 lb-ft, that will be a nasty piece of machinery. That's lower than Z06 pounds per horsepower territory, and assuming it has, at least, the handling capabilities of the CTS-V, it seems like a potent package. Of course, that is their 'goal' weight...
    If the V coupe weighs in at less than 3700 lbs, I would scrap all plans for the sedan and go whole hog for the coupe...I just don't see how they can scrap that much weight, it's not that much smaller. And I saw it in Detroit...

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by thompson View Post
    This is true. Impala SS 1994-1996
    Trans-AM, Z-28 1993-2002
    Cyclone truck
    Buick Grand National & GNX

And the Camaro will die again soon as it comes out.
    Uh...some of us would say the only really 'good' thing in the above list was the fourth-gen F-body, but with any ponycar the high-end products only exist if they can sell a pile of the cheap ones to support it. One could, of course, say the same about the CTS-V, or an M5, or any other vehicle that's built off a mass-produced platform.

In the Z28/SS/WS6/etc. case, they listened to their customers - they stuffed those things full of all the good stuff, Torsen diff, T56 transmission, etc. - at what was an unbeatable price for the level of content, then they had to listen to the whiners who screamed that they were STILL too expensive.

The Syclone/Typhoon was an interesting toy and a clever bit of powertrain but not a particularly great vehicle, the GN likewise (indeed, I'd say the G-body was an example of '80s GM build quality at its WORST.) The Impala SS was a last hurrah for the blimp B-body.

If gas stays $2/gallon for a while, the automakers will get fairly healthy, fairly quickly, CAFE be damned - there's still enough credit out there, and some folks who can pay cash, to make some metal move.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.