Nurburgring 7:59.32 - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Nurburgring 7:59.32 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Lindsay Cadillac I don't think they ever took the production model out on the track... I think ...
    urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: Nurburgring 7:59.32

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay Cadillac View Post
    I don't think they ever took the production model out on the track... I think it was just for everyone to ooooh and ahhh over, which there was a lot of... They did have both of the testing cars on the track in every advanced session. I didn't get to see the last advanced session with the track in the best condition of the day but I heard from Bill that they were really going at it...
    unicorn!

gophaster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

TOO funny...I almost fell out of my chair laughing

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    lol @ Urb.

I heard the GT-R cooks you breakfast and recently sent a dyno machine back in time when it hit 88mph on the rollers.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    When did ring time become so important? It's comical to picture most any owner of a CTS-V, GTR, etc. spinning out of control and destroying his car and possibly himself trying to match these numbers. Or is this the new bench racing? When you pull up to someone at a stoplight you ask them their "ring time".
    It's evidence that the manufacturer cared enough to wring the car out on the best real-world test track on Earth. The Nordschleife is a remarkable place.

I've driven it, a few laps in one afternoon, but it's not a track you can learn well enough to go anything resembling fast in one day, and if you were ever fortunate enough to spend sufficient time there to get within, oh, thirty seconds of a real hotshoe's time in a similar car you're doing well. Some folks would argue that John Heinricy should have to pay GM to get to do what he does

As for the GT-R...yeah, whatever, it's not a car that really appeals to me no matter what the lap time. And I like the comment about "the same Japanese market tires found on cars in showrooms". What tires are those?

JEM

Quote Originally Posted by NormV View Post
    Does Japan use higher octane like Germans do compared to USA Germany uses 96-97 octane? Boosted cars love octane!

I wonder what the track elevation on the ring? Sounds like HP and boosted cars have the upper hand. The 09 v @ summit was go where fast when around me.

But on a Watkins Glen or VIR might be a different story compared to Shenandoha tight course. .
    98RON gas is available at German gas station pumps. That compares to a US rating of about 94AKI (RON+MON/2) I think.

We here in California get crap - 91AKI (a short 95RON) is as good as it gets.

The Nordschleife is in the Eifel mountains but it's only about 1000ft up.

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/
    http://forum.ringersforum.com/

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly sh*t!

And who told me the V is not for the track???

woot woot!

Don't you remember the doom and gloom? Power does not matter. Power to weight ratio does not matter. The new V is a pig and will never compete with the original on the track. The electronic goodies are all for naught. Weight - it is only weight that matters!

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechRV View Post
    Don't you remember the doom and gloom? Power does not matter. Power to weight ratio does not matter. The new V is a pig and will never compete with the original on the track. The electronic goodies are all for naught. Weight - it is only weight that matters!
    I don't think anyone can argue with the results, but the weight perception continues to dog american performance sedans. They are viewed as pigs, and even a pig can be extremely fast. It's really just a justification that BMW-esque buyers can use not to look at American cars, which I just wish they would address one day without removing the radio and air conditioning as a solution lol.

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I don't know the specs, but I think it would be very difficult to replace the s/c. Actually, anyone in the Advanced class at the Lindsay Cadillac V-day at Summit Point had the opportunity to wrangle with the '09s. They had all 3 in our class...
    I'm not sure of the context here, but I guarantee 1) there will continue to be a huge aftermarket for LS performance, and 2) that means someone will make an aftermarket blower or figure out how to maximize the performance of the existing one through pulleys or some other boost/efficiency enhancing mod. It's only a matter of time.

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechRV View Post
    The 09 has allot of potential for the non-race track driver but it is no Corvette C4 to C5 revolution compared to the first generation V1. Just because you have an 09 does not mean you'll have a faster car than a competent driver in the V1.

With factory hot shoes in 09 test mules at Summit Point there were a few of us in that got to run with them. Now these are not production car but have drivers that have to show competency to show skills within 2% of John Heinricy, GM's in house race car driver(i.e. really fast!). I consider myself competent but no race car driver and my car was not sliding around at the limit when I let them pass.

The test cars have non-production brake systems and who knows what kind of power as the hoods never went up in the pits. A tight course like Shenandoah didn't let them get to far fast compared to my car with headers and an extra person. A bigger course with more straight aways like a VIR or Watkins Glenn might prove differently(I am guessing my car would trap in the 1/4 mile - 112-114 MPH based on following C6 on a road course).

They did have good corner exit speeds but I really expected the the 150 or so horsepower to more damage down the front straight and the bigger, wider torque curve to put the distance on my student and me but they did not. Figure with my student/me and them with extra test gear and we are within a few hundred pounds. So weight does matter in this case in the twisties. When the auto mags get a hold of production V and get some times on local road courses we'll better be able to see the differences vs. the V1.

Norm

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by JEM View Post
    As for the GT-R...yeah, whatever, it's not a car that really appeals to me no matter what the lap time. And I like the comment about "the same Japanese market tires found on cars in showrooms". What tires are those?
    The JDM GT-R has Bridgestone Potenza RE070R RFT's on it

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    The JDM GT-R has Bridgestone Potenza RE070R RFT's on it

YAK RFTs. Glad to see GM/Cadillac has finally woke up and stopped putting them on the newer cars.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpjr View Post
    I don't think anyone can argue with the results, but the weight perception continues to dog american performance sedans. They are viewed as pigs, and even a pig can be extremely fast. It's really just a justification that BMW-esque buyers can use not to look at American cars, which I just wish they would address one day without removing the radio and air conditioning as a solution lol.
    If a pig flies, you're not gonna criticize how it's flying, right?

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    If a pig flies, you're not gonna criticize how it's flying, right?
    And if a pig outflies a hawk, you better hope it doesn't dive bomb you...

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by StealthCTSVJJL View Post
    The V2's time is less than 4 seconds slower than the Z06, considering it is a big spacious 4 door sedan with an awesome luxury interior, thats good enough for me, if I wanted a a sports car like the GT-R I would wait for the Corvette ZR-1, which may not be quicker than the GT-R at that German race track but will certainly spank one on good ole Interstate 95. Plus let's see if that GT-R's times are real, even Car and Driver on their test of the GT-R last month stated that it was an "engineering test mule" not even a pre production car.
    I think you need to do a little more research. The C6 Zo6 ran 17 seconds faster. Maybe you saw a C5 Z06's numbers??

7:42.9Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06505 hp / 1450 kgJan Magnussen2005Motor Trend[10]Muggy conditions

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

So does this mean the 2009 V is the fastest sedan of all time? That's the impression I'm getting....
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

JEM

Quote Originally Posted by Jpjr View Post
    No, they're not viewed as pigs. They're viewed as crudely built and giving away too much refinement to go fast.

Further, Detroit has built very few 'real' performance sedans.

There was the '75 9C1 Nova cop car, which is pretty much forgotten now. No power, of course, but not much else did then either. And it had maybe the best leaf-spring chassis Detroit ever did (okay, so that's a little like saying it was the quickest-firing muzzle-loading smoothbore ever done, but...) Every so often I think a '75 Nova sedan with an LS2 or LS3 and a T56 would be a Really Nice Driver. This is California, so for certain reasons it'd have to be a '75 (I just passed up a nice one on eBay that went for under $300 that'd have been a good start for my //M$5; I wasn't about to face down the wife about bringing another car home given that I've got four project cars and a total of nine cars between the two of us.)

Then fast-forward to the late '90s and one gets to a couple Fords, the LTD LX (which wasn't all that 'sporty' but it was as close as Ford ever got to putting Mustang GT bits in a four-door Fox) and the first-gen Taurus SHO which - crudely built and unrefined as it was - was as good as one was going to get with FWD on a Detroit budget. Was it as good a car as, say, a 2.3-liter Saab 9000 Turbo? No. But it was cheaper.

There were a couple wannabes along the way, mainly turbo Dodges that were built even worse than the Taurus.

From the end of the Gen 2 SHO (IMO the Gen 3 doesn't quite carry the 'sport sedan' burden very well) until...what? The '04 CTS-V? The SRT Mopars? I don't care how much motor they've got, you can't reasonably call the current Impala SS a sport sedan.

Their big muscle-sedans may be priced attractively, but the '09 CTS-V is the first one that actually offers the promise of having detail design and material quality more or less competitive with the German offerings (I'll forgive the lack of a power tilt/telescope steering column if they come up with a wagon...)

And Detroit's never done anything to compete at the 3-series/A4 size level, even the SHO was fully as big as the M5 of the day. The only 'polished' small sports item that's come out of Detroit has been the SVT Focus, which was a Mexican-built version of the Euro Focus ST170 and a very nice piece of hardware. The Neon SRT-4 is incredibly fast and incredibly rude, some of the worst seats I've ever experienced in my life.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.