09' CTS-V vs Little "Big" brother new Pontiac G8 GXP? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Which car makes more sense in your garages??

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2009 CTS-V

67 75.28%
  • 09 V's Little "Big" brother the 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP

22 24.72%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 09' CTS-V vs Little "Big" brother new Pontiac G8 GXP? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by JimmyH You sure about that there Optimus Prime? So, then the performance numbers for the G8 aren't ...
    BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

Re: 09' CTS-V vs Little "Big" brother new Pontiac G8 GXP?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    You sure about that there Optimus Prime? So, then the performance numbers for the G8 aren't sporty enough for you? It will surely run circles around a 3.6 CTS, that I am confident.

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

Quote Originally Posted by BowenCT View Post
    Or one could say, the practicality of a pick-up bed, the driving dynamics of a car, and the performance of a sports car.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    You sure about that there Optimus Prime? So, then the performance numbers for the G8 aren't sporty enough for you? It will surely run circles around a 3.6 CTS, that I am confident.
    OK now I'm confused. I thought the G8 was a sedan, are you telling me it's a El Camino look alike? or both?

Well, yes the G8 is a sedan -- try to keep up here, this could get confusing -- and yes, the G8 sport truck concept could be, I suppose, referred to as a pseudo-El Camino.

I'm sure the truck willl do nicely in a straight line and probably OK in the Oval's but when it comes to a full road course I think it will have troubles keeping up. This is just a guess but with most of the weight forward it will negatively effect the handling and in the turns it will get passed by mostly everything.

So if you statement is it will handle well for a truck then I agree, if you say it will handle as well as say a stock first gen V I would tend to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_Rob View Post
    I'm sure the truck willl do nicely in a straight line and probably OK in the Oval's but when it comes to a full road course I think it will have troubles keeping up. This is just a guess but with most of the weight forward it will negatively effect the handling and in the turns it will get passed by mostly everything.

So if you statement is it will handle well for a truck then I agree, if you say it will handle as well as say a stock first gen V I would tend to disagree.
    I don't disagree with any of that. Do I think it will handle as well as a gen. 1 V, of course not.

Let's remember though, F-body cars of the past had a weight distribution pretty close to 60/40, and while they weren't shattering records in the handling department, they were more than competent. My guess is the truck should be in the 60/40 ballpark.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

So you say that a WS6 Trans Am had a 60/40 weight distribution? That would be surprising. Hell, the old IROC cars handled fairly well too.
    I think an updated El Camino would probably be great for it's utility but I doubt it would be great as any kind of sports car. Any rear suspension that would offer a reasonable degree of "utility" would not be very good as a road car as far as handling, and obviously the opposite is also true. Any setup that would produce good handling and road manners, probably wouldn't be too useful as a work truck. Hence why virtually every sport truck has a VERY limited load rating.

I don't disagree with any of that. Do I think it will handle as well as a gen. 1 V, of course not.

Let's remember though, F-body cars of the past had a weight distribution pretty close to 60/40, and while they weren't shattering records in the handling department, they were more than competent. My guess is the truck should be in the 60/40 ballpark.
    Agreed.

I had a Firebird that I thought handled pretty well after all of the suspension tweaks (New struts, Springs, Pan Hard rod, Upper and Lower control arms, sway bars, shocks...). Was a fun car for sure but it was a bit of a rough ride and with the solid axle it wasn't as good in the turns as the V. Good car for it's time though and it's been a while so I don't remember the ratio but it wasn't ideal. It was a good all around car but it is amazing how much better the suspension is on these newer cars. I drove the V and the comfort was far better then the Firebird and the handling was as well. I have done very little to it so far (sway bars) and wow what a ride.

If they put a little technology into the Pseudo El Camino it should handle fairly well and I wouldn't be surprised a bit if it out handled the old Firebird. Now it won't be much of a hauler if they do that but it should be a fun truck to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    So you say that a WS6 Trans Am had a 60/40 weight distribution? That would be surprising. Hell, the old IROC cars handled fairly well too.
    There he is....only a matter of time.....

I don't know Kat, it's probably not 60/40 exactly. I seem to think a 3rd gen. F-body was like 58/42 or something close to that. You like Google, I'm sure you can dig it up.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I could only wish I had the wisdom, courage, and boldness of Optimus Prime.

As for the G8amino, sport SEDAN maybe, SPORTSCAR no. There is a big difference.

F-bodies handled ok. Weight dist and suspension settings aside, it had a rubber chassis. You can tweak a car all you want, but you are only going to improve it so much. Handling begins with the chassis.

Changed mine out to urethene.

Lot a stamped sheet metal stuff you need to get rid of too (excess flex)

I dont like urethane. Sounds too much like urethra.

One works a little better on the suspesion then the other though...

CTS NV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Just to clarify my original comment, and speaking for my own service experiences, I don't find the Cadillac technicians any more or less skilled than the BMW technicians I've had for the prior 10 years. The major (obvious) problems get fixed, but consider yourself lucky if an intermittent problem or rattled gets fixed the first time. On the other hand, every service visit requiring a substantial wait has gotten me into a new Cadillac loaner, the waiting lounge has wi-fi access, flat screen TVs, comfy seats, etc, and the service advisors regularly inquire about my satisfaction.

Sounds like the experience varies greatly across dealers...but somehow the Pontiac experience gives me thoughts of being stuffed in a small room with 50 angry people and a 20year old out-of-order coffee machine... or worse yet, a 3yr old Sunbird or Aztec to drive as a loaner.

Tony, with all due respect, and I say that sincerely because I read, enjoy and take value in every one of your posts, but the truth of the matter remains that GM service depts. across the board are severely lacking. I know they are not all pitiful, but I can honestly tell you, that in my somewhat limited experience of having bought 4 new GM vehicles in my life, not once, ever, have I left a GM service dept. (multiple dealers) feeling 100% satisfied. I know, I need to find another dealer.

OK, enough of that. Back to the G8/Gen. 2 V.

I apologize for the large picture, but I thought since we were on the topic, I'd share it. This is the Holden version of the G8 sport truck. The model at the top of the food chain is called an 'SS V'. Notice the similarity of the "V" badge on the tailgate:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.