09' CTS-V vs Little "Big" brother new Pontiac G8 GXP? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Which car makes more sense in your garages??

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2009 CTS-V

67 75.28%
  • 09 V's Little "Big" brother the 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP

22 24.72%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 09' CTS-V vs Little "Big" brother new Pontiac G8 GXP? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by JimmyH I bet it eats into SRT sales. For sure. The G8 GT almost took an SRT ...
    jasaero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 BLK Cadillac CTS-V

Re: 09' CTS-V vs Little "Big" brother new Pontiac G8 GXP?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I bet it eats into SRT sales.
    For sure. The G8 GT almost took an SRT in and edmunds informal test with a neighbors SRT. The 40 extra horse should easily take it even though it still won't match SRT power. I think a tune will go farther on this by a long way than an SRT though as the LS3 is known to make more than the SRT in the Vette anyhow.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

how much is the GXP gonna weigh? The SRT has 425 hp, but it's hauling 4300 lbs around IIRC (of course so will the new V I think)

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Albertan View Post
    ... Even the typical Pontiac front end is modified and looks like a BMW. ... Very nice car. Don't think I would trade down from my V1 but if I was in the market I'd look real close. I think it will be popular. ...
    Saw it NAIAS in January and thought the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BowenCT View Post
    I'll give credit where credit is due, but why, why, WHY can't the designers at Pontiac part themselves from the grille nostrils and hood scoops??????? ...
    Tradition? Had 'em on my '64 Goat. 44 years! Having said that, guess I'd like to see something else, too.

how much is the GXP gonna weigh? ...
    April C&D has it at 4100 lbs. They mostly liked the car ... I guess. Knowing C&D, had it actually been a Bimmer, the pages would have been sticking together.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post

Tradition? Had 'em on my '64 Goat. 44 years! Having said that, guess I'd like to see something else, too.

I hear what you are saying, rand. One of my cars that is partially responsible for my V8 fetish was a '89 Pontiac Formula WS6, and my uncle has a '65 Goat that I lust over, so I have some Pontiac love flowing through me. But c'mon guys. I sincerely feel that the trademark "Pontiac styling" of late could hurt the sales of that car. Good looking or not.

Fortunately, I'm sure it wont be long before the Holden conversions hit the marketplace to remedy the problem. Then I'll take one in silver .

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Saw it NAIAS in January and thought the same thing.
    where were you? you didnt come to hang with the fab four?

April C&D has it at 4100 lbs. They mostly liked the car ... I guess. Knowing C&D, had it actually been a Bimmer, the pages would have been sticking together.
    for sure, the bastards; CD MT and RT should have a big banner on them that says "brought to you by BMW"

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I sincerely feel that the trademark "Pontiac styling" of late could hurt the sales of that car. Good looking or not.
    Agree. It would be nice for the casual observer to be able to tell which model they are looking at. To me, all the Pontiacs look the same. Oh, look...nostril grille...Pontiac.

Got5onit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): LS6 V

I've made this known in other threads but I'm definitely going with the GXP G8. And I've said this 1000 times already, but the Commadore/Zeta platform has held up well for the Aussies with the big HP & Tq numbers.

... a '65 Goat that I lust over, so I have some Pontiac love flowing through me. ...
    On that one, they went to a single "scoop" instead of the two "scoops" for the first year. I had the tri-power motor rated at 348 hp, but the '65 GTO with tri-power moved up to 360 hp.

Pontiac love? Yup. My dad was a PMD chassis engineer, mom and dad met there while she worked in salary payroll fresh out of high school and he was a GMI student on work assignment, and I grew up with Pontiac blood runnin' through my veins. Still got a bunch.

where were you? you didnt come to hang with the fab four? ...
    Yeah, I was already to go and called Tony on his cell and left a msg. When I didn't hear back soon enough, ended up taking my 5-yr-old and went the opposite way to look at wallpaper for a guest-room makeover. Tony called when I was there, 20 miles in the opposite direction , and I couldn't drag my son to more things he had no interest in so I begged off. Wished I gone, now, and met all you guys. Hell, you guys are famous in my book!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

The GXP would be pretty compelling, especially with all the inevitable tuning and hardware upgrades that will ultimately follow. Imagine that same G8 with around 500hp with cam, heads, exhaust and a tune. That would be a hoot. As for a stock GXP catching an SRT8? I don't know where they get their numbers but the SRT's run consistent 12.9's to 13 flats at the track. I hope the GXP can do that. And I love the looks too. Doubt many will convert though, as there's lot's more room in the LX cars vs. the Zeta platform cars.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    The GXP would be pretty compelling, especially with all the inevitable tuning and hardware upgrades that will ultimately follow. Imagine that same G8 with around 500hp with cam, heads, exhaust and a tune. That would be a hoot. As for a stock GXP catching an SRT8? I don't know where they get their numbers but the SRT's run consistent 12.9's to 13 flats at the track. I hope the GXP can do that. And I love the looks too. Doubt many will convert though, as there's lot's more room in the LX cars vs. the Zeta platform cars.
    The rear seat room of the G8 rivals any LX car I've ever sat in. There was plenty of room. And the seats were far more comfortable than those in Chryslers...

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    ... SRT's run consistent 12.9's to 13 flats at the track. ...
    Underrated hp in action.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    The rear seat room of the G8 rivals any LX car I've ever sat in. There was plenty of room. And the seats were far more comfortable than those in Chryslers...
    Bigger than I thought. I kinda like the rear seats, but I don't sit in them much. The fronts, however, are awesome!

G8
    Front Head Room: 38.7 in. Front Hip Room: 56.7 in. Front Shoulder Room: 59.1 in. Rear Head Room: 38 in. Rear Shoulder Room: 59.1 in. Rear Hip Room: 58 in. Front Leg Room: 42.2 in. Rear Leg Room: 39.4 in. Luggage Capacity: 17.5 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 18 cu. ft.

LX
    Front Head Room: 38.7 in. Front Hip Room: 55.9 in. Front Shoulder Room: 59.4 in. Rear Head Room: 38 in. Rear Shoulder Room: 57.7 in. Rear Hip Room: 55.9 in. Front Leg Room: 41.8 in. Rear Leg Room: 40.2 in. Luggage Capacity: 17.2 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

CTS NV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/15/n...-402-hp-and-a/

I will admitt it's not a fair fight, but an interesting thing to decide between if you are like me and a V1 owner who uses the car as a primary vehicle and takes road trips with the family in it and such. The G8 GXP should match or exceed the V1 pretty easy and IMHO is actually a little nicer inside judging from the GT. V2 will be a much more exciting car overall, but this G8 is bigger while probably being 200lbs lighter. The larger size though gives it much better rear legroom, much bigger trunk, and more fuel. On top of all that it's going to be WAY cheaper no matter where they each come in. Only large handicap is that US regs don't allow the low placed infotainment screen in the aussie sorced G8 to work as a nav so that option won't be available until they can update the interior and HVAC routings in the cabin. It should have bluetooth though as a 2009 model.
    It's a tough call. While I'd rather get a V2, 402hp would actually be an improvement with a more buttoned down rear than the V1. The only downsides would be lack of NAV, lack of other features (hard drive/iPod entertainment systems) and wondering how the Pontiac service department stacks up to Cadillac (doubtful it would be as good).

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

One of each would be the way to go.

BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

Quote Originally Posted by CTS NV View Post
    ....and wondering how the Pontiac service department stacks up to Cadillac (doubtful it would be as good).
    I am trying to come up with some witty retort, however I am wondering if perhaps this was written in attempt to stir up a few yuks......??

Signed,

Slightly Confused

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.