M/T COTY Base CTS Test Data - Interesting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, M/T COTY Base CTS Test Data - Interesting in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Did anyone read the Motor Trend Car of the Year test data? Very interesting what the base CTS is able ...
    CVP33 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

M/T COTY Base CTS Test Data - Interesting

Did anyone read the Motor Trend Car of the Year test data? Very interesting what the base CTS is able to do. It posted .89g's in the skidpad, 26.40 figure 8 time, which matched the Audi TT and beat the WRX! The .89g's really impressed me with only 235/50/18's. Imagine what more width and less sidewall will do for this. I know this isn't the same, but this IS pretty telling of what the new V may be capable of doing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

Re: M/T COTY Base CTS Test Data - Interesting

It's like taking a pretty girl, and jabbing her with Clemens' boy's special cocktail.....

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    Did anyone read the Motor Trend Car of the Year test data? Very interesting what the base CTS is able to do. It posted .89g's in the skidpad, 26.40 figure 8 time, which matched the Audi TT and beat the WRX! The .89g's really impressed me with only 235/50/18's. Imagine what more width and less sidewall will do for this. I know this isn't the same, but this IS pretty telling of what the new V may be capable of doing.
    But do you think the extra weight the V will carry will temper the increases you might expect?

jasaero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 BLK Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    But do you think the extra weight the V will carry will temper the increases you might expect?
    The extra weight is going to be heavily offset by 250hp, 10% stiffer suspension, MRC shocks, michelin PS2 rubber, and two much nicer transmissions. Not to mention seats that actually hold you in place during that side loading allowing you to concentrate on the test time maxing more. It will make all those numbers look silly and like childs play basically.

Not to mention the HUGE brake rotors and multipiston Brembo squeezers. I figure it will be .95g or so and probably run that same figure 8 in 24 or more than likely less. Definately under the near 25 of the A6.

Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    The extra weight is going to be heavily offset by 250hp, 10% stiffer suspension, MRC shocks, michelin PS2 rubber, and two much nicer transmissions. Not to mention seats that actually hold you in place during that side loading allowing you to concentrate on the test time maxing more. It will make all those numbers look silly and like childs play basically.
    I was mainly talking about the skidpad numbers. I'm well aware the V will be far superior to the base car in all aspects but weight can play a very important part that all the brakes, and power, and tires, and........will not offset.

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    I was mainly talking about the skidpad numbers. I'm well aware the V will be far superior to the base car in all aspects but weight can play a very important part that all the brakes, and power, and tires, and........will not offset.
    Hmm larger, stickier tires are certainly able to offset weight on a skidpad. That would literally be their function, in fact.

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

Skid pad numbers are static. Throw in left and rights like a slalom or a figure eight. Look at BMW skid pad then compare them to transision like a slalom wher they really excel in suspension tuning.

Norm

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

255 and 285 PS2s with magneato shocks and typically stiffer everything is going to more than push the envelope that much further.

Sdd a couple hundred pounds above center of gravity...we'll see as the Gen 1 V was slightly better the Gen 2 base. The v2 will not be the autocross winner in Super Stock. There is no way that that 4200 lbs will be competive in the tight stuff.

The magnetic stuff works wonders on a bumpy track as I have seen in the C5 but it weighs similar to the Z06 with the Z winning. The V2 weighs 400 lbs more than V1. Can't over come physics.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    255 and 285 PS2s with magneato shocks and typically stiffer everything is going to more than push the envelope that much further.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by NormV View Post
    Sdd a couple hundred pounds above center of gravity...we'll see as the Gen 1 V was slightly better the Gen 2 base. The v2 will not be the autocross winner in Super Stock. There is no way that that 4200 lbs will be competive in the tight stuff.

The magnetic stuff works wonders on a bumpy track as I have seen in the C5 but it weighs similar to the Z06 with the Z winning. The V2 weighs 400 lbs more than V1. Can't over come physics.
    You most certainly can. The SRTs are actually very competent handlers at 4200lbs. The new V should be that much better.

Slower than the V1 in motor Trend figure eight. Add. A hundred pounds to the top of the engine and we'll see.

Norm

You most certainly can. The SRTs are actually very competent handlers at 4200lbs. The new V should be that much better.

SRT8/BMW is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

BINGO! My SRT would SHOCK someone who didn't know..it handles better than you'd ever believe for a car that size. I expect the new V to be even better..maybe substantially.

I did test drive the EDI 3.6 CTS--it was as good as advertised in the twisties. My salesman knew thats what I wanted to do, so thats where he took me with the car, and he encouraged me to "push it" which, being the friendly sort....I obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by NormV View Post
    Slower than the V1 in motor Trend figure eight. Add. A hundred pounds to the top of the engine and we'll see.

Norm
    As much or probably MORE weight is coming from the HUGE brakes. They are about as low as you can get something on the car. The CG could be lower than you are expecting because of this fact.

EDIT: Also forgot the larger wheels required to got around the pizza sized brakes that are not only larger diameter, but also wider than any previous CTS wheel. These better brakes and wheels are overkill compared to the weight increase also and are going to help figure 8 times by allowing them to stay on the throttle longer in each straight.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechRV View Post
    Hmm larger, stickier tires are certainly able to offset weight on a skidpad. That would literally be their function, in fact.
    In a very basic way, yes but you can't simply say, "damn the mass, give it bigger tires". Just doesn't work that way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.