March Motor Trend features CTS-V in "First Look" - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, March Motor Trend features CTS-V in "First Look" in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Dave's V Actually they are 200lb difference and the AMG C63 is a big 400 lbs lighter ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: March Motor Trend features CTS-V in "First Look"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's V View Post
    Actually they are 200lb difference and the AMG C63 is a big 400 lbs lighter then the new V. 200 lbs is another ~1/2 pound per hp. http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...ecs-page4.html

Granted it has 100 less HP then the V and the man est time to 62 is 4.5. But at a base price of $62k, it is definitely a competitor to the new V. This is why Cadillac should use the crappy Euro rate to their advantage.
    No, you're wrong. They did a comparo with the Audi RS4 and BMW M3 and the C63 was about 4050lbs...just a few pounds under the E63...

Dave's V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    No, you're wrong. They did a comparo with the Audi RS4 and BMW M3 and the C63 was about 4050lbs...just a few pounds under the E63...
    AMG must be wrong then because check out the weight on their site.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/index2.h...en/lounge/news

1730kg - 68kg driver - gas 90% full and 7kg of luggage. 1 kg = 2.2 lbs which puts it at 3806 lbs before you minus everything.

E63 is 1840kg which is 4048 lbs

The E63's motor does put out 57 more HP though to carry the extra 200lbs.

3800 lbs is not that heavy for a small sports sedan with a 6.3l V-8. Since Mercedes is luxury that definitely is not bad since a V is 400lbs heavier.

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
    4.3 or less?
    If that is the case then the V will lose to the C63 when it comes out next year
    Hi kids, Captain Logic here.

"4.3" = lose to the C63

"less" = not necessarily lose to the C63

Anyways... this month's Car & Driver also has a nice spread on the new CTS-V which they nickname the "Bimodal Bullet." I like "Cadzilla" a lot better.

Anyways, C&D projects a 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds. Let the bench races begin!

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

When you think about it, does the 0-60 and 1/4 mile ET REALLY matter all that much? Now bare with me here. I'm certainly a power/speed junkie myself but when you think about it, the acceleration times posted in various magazines ALWAYS vary greatly so what's the use? I mean, a CTS-V enthusiast will always go with whatever the best posted time is, just like anyone else but when you factor in all the "other" times posted, it usually points to the fact that with cars at this level, it's quite easy for you to get your clock cleaned by virtually any car that's posted an even close acceleration time due to so many factors, none the least of which is driver capability.
    In my mind, although I know it may not be the popular one, I really think that this car has MORE than enough power. Matter of fact, I seriously doubt anyone had an issue with the (by comparison) wimpy output of the Gen. 1 CTS-V. No, I think the power is NOT such a major concern on these cars, and for that reason should not garner such a lion's share of the attention in the car. I think everyone will be more than satisfied with the car's power and will ultimately be more concerned with other issues such as those that ended up being the major issues on the Gen. 1 car. Let's hope GM did their homework and tended to the rest of the car as well as they did the powerplant.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    When you think about it, does the 0-60 and 1/4 mile ET REALLY matter all that much? Now bare with me here. I'm certainly a power/speed junkie myself but when you think about it, the acceleration times posted in various magazines ALWAYS vary greatly so what's the use? I mean, a CTS-V enthusiast will always go with whatever the best posted time is, just like anyone else but when you factor in all the "other" times posted, it usually points to the fact that with cars at this level, it's quite easy for you to get your clock cleaned by virtually any car that's posted an even close acceleration time due to so many factors, none the least of which is driver capability.
    In my mind, although I know it may not be the popular one, I really think that this car has MORE than enough power. Matter of fact, I seriously doubt anyone had an issue with the (by comparison) wimpy output of the Gen. 1 CTS-V. No, I think the power is NOT such a major concern on these cars, and for that reason should not garner such a lion's share of the attention in the car. I think everyone will be more than satisfied with the car's power and will ultimately be more concerned with other issues such as those that ended up being the major issues on the Gen. 1 car. Let's hope GM did their homework and tended to the rest of the car as well as they did the powerplant.
    Katshot, it's important when Lutz publically proclaims the new V will suck the doors off an M5. He has to back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
    Katshot, it's important when Lutz publically proclaims the new V will suck the doors off an M5. He has to back that up.
    Understood. But who's numbers will be the defining factor? Did he REALLY use those words, or are you paraphrasing?

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    Understood. But who's numbers will be the defining factor? Did he REALLY use those words, or are you paraphrasing?
    Kat, lord cad's thread fastest in the world has the quarter mile times of two German cars the lowest being 12.6. Lutz said faster than that.

I am staying with 12.5!

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by NormV View Post
    Kat, lord cad's thread fastest in the world has the quarter mile times of two German cars the lowest being 12.6. Lutz said faster than that.

I am staying with 12.5!

Norm
    Maybe I'm missing something. If so, please tell me. What I meant is that if Bob specifically said that, first of all, it sounds a little too much like sales talk to me compared to what I believe he'd actually say. But if he did say it, then he better be able to back it up by anybody's yardstick. By that, I mean there can't be any tests that show it being bested by an M5. It's gotta consistently thrash the M5 in every performance test. Traditionally, for a car to do that, it's gotta enjoy a pretty healthy margin of performance superiority and although that remains to be seen, it IS a tall order. If the car is simply close to the M5, even with a slight edge in one or more performance categories, then you can bet your bottom dollar that in some magazines etc., it will come out the loser. At that point, performance isn't the deciding factor and everyone moves on to another point to focus on. This again is why I think the Gen. 1 failed in it's mission. Although it was slightly superior in performance to some of it's competition, it wasn't complete and undeniable. Add to that the fact that it's fit and finish as well as interior styling and quality feel were simply not up to par, and you get an idea of what the Gen. 2 has to accomplish. That said, I think the car just might have the stuff to pull it off. If the car is as nice in person, and drives as nice as I'm hoping, it could certainly continue the uphill climb of Cadillac in the performance sedan market as well as the world market. The Gen. 1 was a great first step, the Gen. 2 must be that and more. IMO, on paper, the car's got my vote.

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

Check the sticky! Looks like Lutz' has said it twice. Blow the doors off and again in the sticky quoted by Edmunds.

Soon we'll have numbers from the factory which will be the best possible conditions driven by an engineer. The real world numbers, as we have seen they have been stretched in both early C5 Z06 and early CTS-V as the C5 was chasing the Viper and the V chasing the Germans, will come soon.

Norm

Seattle CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V (sold)

AMG must be wrong then because check out the weight on their site.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/index2.h...en/lounge/news

1730kg - 68kg driver - gas 90% full and 7kg of luggage. 1 kg = 2.2 lbs which puts it at 3806 lbs before you minus everything.

E63 is 1840kg which is 4048 lbs

The E63's motor does put out 57 more HP though to carry the extra 200lbs.

3800 lbs is not that heavy for a small sports sedan with a 6.3l V-8. Since Mercedes is luxury that definitely is not bad since a V is 400lbs heavier.

Make sure that you're looking at the US spec C63 though. The European RS4 weighs about 350 lbs less over there than our version. I'm assuming the US C63 will weigh more as well due to tougher crash standards here.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Lutz was quoted in Motor Trend as saying "...it will suck the doors of an M5.", referring to the CTS-V. He again said, in the video from the NAIAS,
    "......we believe this to be the fastest 4 door sedan in the world." I've never known Lutz to not deliver on a promise regarding price or performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle CTS-V View Post
    Make sure that you're looking at the US spec C63 though. The European RS4 weighs about 350 lbs less over there than our version. I'm assuming the US C63 will weigh more as well due to tougher crash standards here.
    I've lived in Germany for 8 years, they have extremely tough crash standards. If anything they can detune it to meet US safety standards.

I was mostly comparing the C63 to the E63 which was about a 220 lb difference on their site. I doubt they would add lbs to one and not the other.

I hope the C&D estimates are right for the V. I have no doubt that the new V will beat the definitely more expensive M5 since some mags peg the M5 having a 0-60 of 4.8. I hope he doesn't think that is the top of the class though because there is a lot of competition and not all competition is 0-60 or the quarter.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Well technically he did say the fastest, so in reality at 183mph or better, it actually is the fastest as the Germans are limited to 155mph. Unless you opt for one of the uber models.

I hope that he meant quickest and fastest.

Regardless, anything close to being 155 or more is extremely fast no matter what kind of car it is. I'm not worried about the new V's power, it is the fit and finish I'm worried about such as sail panels falling off on the rear passengers' heads, radio button's paint chipping off, etc. The fact is that probably 70% of the new V owners will never reach 60% top speed and top 0-60 times will get you labeled as abuse by the service bay. The power is there in the new V, I'm just worried about the original issues.

Regardless, anything close to being 155 or more is extremely fast no matter what kind of car it is. I'm not worried about the new V's power, it is the fit and finish I'm worried about such as sail panels falling off on the rear passengers' heads, radio button's paint chipping off, etc. The fact is that probably 70% of the new V owners will never reach 60% top speed and top 0-60 times will get you labeled as abuse by the service bay. The power is there in the new V, I'm just worried about the original issues.
    Exactly what I've been saying.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.