Mods = Hp - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mods = Hp in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; hey all i have a good source at eaton and you can get the pulley off it is a press ...
    aaronk1975 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Smile Re: Mods = Hp

hey all i have a good source at eaton and you can get the pulley off it is a press fit pulley i actually will have all the dimensions of the stock pullet and will be making a smaller one next week.will put up pictures asap.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Re: Mods = Hp

As for tuning, I'm of the belief that there will always be power left on the table.

In the grand interest of everyone being happy with the cars when they purchase 87 octane gasoline in BFE along with reducing warranty risk, the engine will not be tuned to the edge from the factory. GM won't repeat BMW's M3 engine fiasco.

To stir the debate, let's compare:

2005 CTS-V with a 5.7L LS6 engine with a comparatively old school, less efficient supercharger puts out right around 450 rwhp or 550 at the crank.

Now we take a half liter larger engine at 6.2L with better flowing cylinder heads and bolt on a more efficient supercharger. Guess what - The LSA puts out the same power at 550.

Tweak the ignition timing a bit, reduce the fuel mixture (gut says it'll be 10 to 10.5:1 from the factory) and headers I'm sure we'll see LSAs over 500 rwhp. Heck LS6 cars are getting near that today with the same mods.

Welcome to power opportunity city with the LSA. Totally silliness in a RWD CTS-V. No more Lord Vader; this is Emperor Palpatine's hammer.

AWD. AWD. AWD. AWD. AWD. AWD. AWD. AWD. AWD. AWD. AWD.

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

Rick, remember too that V2 is designed to be boosted, not V1 which was designed to be NA. So the gains of 170 whp for V2 will not be as easy as V1.

Add 400 lbs at front hood height should make an interesting front to rear weight ratio. If awd comes it will lower center of gravity, adding more weight to the front...RS4! The drag on some of the boosted 4 bangers from Japan and Audi really shows up after 100 mph.

Are you talking about the bearing clearance in early E36 M3's?

Norm

MauiV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tis Gone :(

Good to see that at least your head is still in the V game Stealth, even if your ass isnt.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Norm, good point with the LSA's lower compression ratio. One could read that as good news for cylinder pressure and spinning the blower harder in the quest for more power.

Looking at the GM's durability history of the gen III/IV small blocks and the aftermarket's quest for power over the years, we're going to see some extremely powerful, cost effectively modded '09 Vs that are still reliabile daily drivers.

Did I read somewhere that the '09 V uses an E67 engine controller?

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

Normally an engine designed for boost has MORE potential for extra pressure than an NA engine. I second the press fit pulley. I have my 10,000 psi puller in the garage waiting...

I also wonder if you can take the 3.73 final gear from the manual and replace the 3.23 in the auto.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechRV View Post
    Normally an engine designed for boost has MORE potential for extra pressure than an NA engine. I second the press fit pulley. I have my 10,000 psi puller in the garage waiting...

I also wonder if you can take the 3.73 final gear from the manual and replace the 3.23 in the auto.
    Can't imagine why the gears wouldn't be interchangeable.

If you have a puller that will support the base you should be fine. Maybe a little heat and a small hammer.

The 3800 SC pulley had a tendency to mushroom if pulled around the perimeter.

Norm

For me the trick on the 3800 pulleys was get them as fresh from the factory as possible. I could also see a pumpkin or gear swap into an auto to get a quicker car early in the lifecycle. Any of these mods will require a lot better or bigger contact patch in back.

The pulleys did vary in effort.

With highway dropping from 25 to 19 mpg, I don't most would be happy seeing singles digits daily with a shorter gear ratio. We'll see.

Norm

For me the trick on the 3800 pulleys was get them as fresh from the factory as possible. I could also see a pumpkin or gear swap into an auto to get a quicker car early in the lifecycle. Any of these mods will require a lot better or bigger contact patch in back.

The guys who put SC's on the current V see the same drops. There are some V drivers who are not going to worry too much about MPG.

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

While there maybe headroom to boost the power significantly, I am a little concerned that there is not an equal amount of headroom residing in the bottom end... I wouldn't want to put a few cast pistons in geosynchronous orbit and having to explain that to my service adviser.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say you won't see too many tuners pushing the envelope too hard without replacing this Paris Hilton bottom end with that of a much meatier Jay-Lo bottom end.

I guess we wil have to wait until some tuners test the murky waters of tolerance for the LSA.

Flyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    I mean DAMN isn't it fast enough already?
    I think so too.

I know we all like to mod, but I agree it's prolly gonna' be really quick. Power:Weight ratio and all. Maybe just "dress her up" a bit to make her stand out even more in a crowd.

It's going to be a nice car IMHO.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Ok, i am about to talk to a dealer about changin up to a 09, but i would like to know about Headers and other bolt ons...Are they the same as the V1 or does it need to be prototyped and built later at higher $s then we have available?

Remember i am on the other end of the world, and well stuff doesnt make it to my end as fast as yours....

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

How come you guys aren't asking the STS-V crowd where the power gains might come from? We have been dealing with the boosted engine for some time now. The tuning isn't really that much different. AND yes there is HP left on the table. GM tunes these things pig rich as to make them last much much longer and have no warrenty claims. Intakes are also really restrictive to keep the blower whine down. You don't mind the noise you can make lots more power. I'm not advertising for them but D3 has made substantial HP gains on our SC N* without increasing boost. I think they are up 100+ hp with only bolt-ons and a tune. I would be suprised if 100+ is not aceiveable with the LSA.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.