An AWD "V"?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, An AWD "V"? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So, at what point do you think AWD will be a MUST in order to harness the power from the ...
    Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

An AWD "V"?

So, at what point do you think AWD will be a MUST in order to harness the power from the engine? And do you think AWD would be a good thing, or a bad thing on a "V" car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: An AWD "V"?

I don't know that it will ever be a "must"- I mean, look at cars like the ACR Viper and the ZR1. They're lighter weight with quite a bit more power and they still manage to be driveable.

AWD drive would also make an already heavy car even moreso, and while GMPD has done an awesome job making the CTS-V handle great for its weight, you can't just keep piling on more unless there's a significant return. The PTM system will do a great job keeping the rear tires from going up in smoke, and AWD would just add understeer. I don't see a need for it, but if the customers want it, they'll build it.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

jasaero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 BLK Cadillac CTS-V

I think some comparisons with the RS6 when it comes out will answer this question. My feeling is that the power to weight levels still aren't to a point where AWD is going to give you a huge advantage, if any?? The PTM and Launch control on this new V are going to put it ahead of the RS6 Avant and Sedan I am quite sure. My guess is that the RS6 will not quite make it below 8 minutes on the Ring in sedan form, but the CTS-V will run it under 8 minutes. Hopefully they do a wagon form of the V for Europe to have bragging rights on that front also. 0-60 and quarter mile will probably be very close also though.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

This question is a well traveled road around here

Sorry Brett. Didn't mean to be redundant. I'll do a search and see what's been discussed previously. Feel free to dump the thread if you think it's worthless to the membership.

LOL, no that was a jab at you about the 5+ page argument we had years ago about RWD vs AWD

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

An AWD CTS-V or CTC-V is appealing to those of us in the snow belt. If Cadillac builds it, I'm buying one.

I lived in Chicago for 29 years and visited MN often, I have no doubt it would have helped your recent situation

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I lived in Chicago for 29 years and visited MN often
    "I'll take 'Why people move to Tampa' for $100, Alex."

Quote Originally Posted by lawfive View Post
    "I'll take 'Why people move to Tampa' for $100, Alex."
    Watch StealthV's video. All the answers are contained within

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    LOL, no that was a jab at you about the 5+ page argument we had years ago about RWD vs AWD
    5+ page argument? Jeez you have some memory!

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

No AWD V-series.
    AWD is great for the other CTS models, but the V should be about performance with no excuses. AWD has a negative effect on handling that the added traction just does not justify nor will make up for on a real track.

[youtube]YxG2M2PcM8c[/youtube]

I know there's always going to be the purists out there saying that RWD is the ONLY way to go but I think as AWD systems have evolved, and engine power outputs have climbed, AWD will probably prove to be the choice for maximum performance in real-world driving situations. Yeah, on dry pavement, RWD with a high quality traction-control system can do just fine. If you want to see another RWD vs. AWD comparo....check out the Shelby Mustang vs. the Subaru Sti. Here's a link to the video index 9not sure how to post the actual video, sorry.
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...alleryIndex#12

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    I know there's always going to be the purists out there saying that RWD is the ONLY way to go
    If you're not a purist, you don't belong in this car.

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    but I think as AWD systems have evolved, and engine power outputs have climbed, AWD will probably prove to be the choice for maximum performance in real-world driving situations. Yeah, on dry pavement, RWD with a high quality traction-control system can do just fine. If you want to see another RWD vs. AWD comparo....
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...alleryIndex#12
    The V should not be compromised for often subjective "real-world" driving conditions. It should be an example of how much performance America can wring from a luxury-sport sedan (just like the ZR1 is an example of an uncompromised coupe). If you want to trade performance for a bit of added traction and safety, we can direct you to a 3.6DI AWD model.

ZR1s will be terrible in the snow and would have a better 0-60 if they were AWD. What were they thinking?

I must admit, I've always wondered about the model overlap between the CTS and STS. Maybe the CTS is destined to be the more hard-edged model of the two. I'd love to see the actual business plan for these two cars. What GM's views are on them. Why THEY feel there's a need for BOTH cars. Hell, the same could ALMOST be said for the DTS and STS too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.