An AWD "V"? - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, An AWD "V"? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Absolutely. There are going to be a many more second gen Vs wrapped around telephone poles than first gens. Hey, ...
    StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Re: An AWD "V"?

Absolutely.

There are going to be a many more second gen Vs wrapped around telephone poles than first gens.

Hey, I didn't hit a pole!

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Product Development (R&D is some circles) is a wonderful, but time consuming, endeavor. Anything can be accomplished given the time and effort. The question is whether it's worth it. We all know that the V has been tested time and again on the Nurburgring and other courses. When the last gen 1 car had been through countless tests and GM thought it was ready for production there was still a lot of work to be done. We have yet to see whether the changes they made on gen 2 have addressed the major problems and whether we have raised the benchmark for all other manufacturers. If an AWD is in the making, GM will need to spend a lot of time and money developing it on this car. Even if it's their decision to go forward with it I wouldn't count on it until gen 3 at the earliest.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Thanks, guys for the welcome (Rich) and the explanation of the 1G V's rear diff, I am taking a crash course on the 1G V's issues from this board and so far I'm impressed with the technical knowledge of folks here, and hoping for the best with the new V. I guess I didn't appreciate the issues with that diff and the reason it might be difficult to make an AWD V for this gen. I'm sure it can be done, though. If it can be done, it might be a worthwhile upgrade.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV View Post
    Hey, I didn't hit a pole!
    but i still have my car

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    I think we've managed to cover a decent variety of concerns here but let pose one more. I guess a "food for thought" statement more than anything.
    It's been my experience that over the years, quite often, people (usually people with more money than brains) produce a car that simply has more power than can be adequately used. Most of the time, these are tuner cars, or special-interest customs but, sometimes, they are actually production cars. The ability to actually utilize the engines power (put the power to the pavement as it were) has often been the ultimate determining factor of what would be considered the maximum power for a given vehicle. Go beyond that point and you have wasted power and/or a dangerous vehicle. But technology has provided an answer that at least to a point, allows the maximum power of a given vehicle to be greatly increased. It's called AWD folks.
    Now GM certainly has enormous experience with 4WD (light, medium and even heavy-duty trucks) and to a lesser degree, AWD (mostly brought on by the SUV craze) but, they do not have a whole lot of experience with AWD in cars. And folks those are two totally different beasts IMO. So the question is, can GM produce an AWD drivetrain that will be effective in a performance car?
    All that's required for an AWD drive train is available off the shelf from Borg-Warner, Getrag, and other suppliers just like everybody else uses. There's no need to reinvent the wheel. Current STS transfer cases are Borg-Warner. The diffs are Getrag. A quick check of their websites shows that some pretty skookum stuff is available.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    All that's required for an AWD drive train is available off the shelf from Borg-Warner, Getrag, and other suppliers just like everybody else uses. There's no need to reinvent the wheel. Current STS transfer cases are Borg-Warner. The diffs are Getrag. A quick check of their websites shows that some pretty skookum stuff is available.
    The OEM rear differential for the 04 and 05 CTS V was "off-the-shelf" and look where that got us. They made a few changes to the 06+ version but that has not been adequate for most. That's why they have completely redesigned the 09 V rear. Don't automatically assume that something that is out there now can handle the output of a ultra high performance vehicle.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Anybody with common sense can figure out what happened with the 1st gen V's rear diff - bean counters. Getrag's specs on their web site clearly show the diff as rated to handle 260 ft/lbs of torque, which was fine for the base CTS (too close for comfort in my opinion, but technically up to the job). When the V was built, I'm sure someone along the way suggested an upgrade, but it obviously didn't happen, most likely because an accountant came up with a risk/reward scenario (ex: replacing 500 under warranty will cost less than contracting a complete redesign).

I think GM has learned the hard way over the last 3 decades that this sort of thinking is what allowed the imports to steal so much market share, and it would seem that they are making fewer major choices today based solely on the bottom line. Bottom line is crucial to maintain the business, but so is product image and customer enthusiasm. It seems like they're figuring that out, even if it is taking a maddeningly long time.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.