What GM should do to improve the 2009 CTS-V before final release - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, What GM should do to improve the 2009 CTS-V before final release in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by anonfrank I think that is an excellent idea. When I take possession of the car, it will ...
    Seattle CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V (sold)

Re: What GM should do to improve the 2009 CTS-V before final release

Quote Originally Posted by anonfrank View Post
    I think that is an excellent idea. When I take possession of the car, it will be the most powerful I've ever owned. It would be nice to know how to drive it properly and SAFELY. I'm not worried about wrapping it around a tree, but I have only owned FWD and my current car is AWD, so learning some of the dynamics of RWD, especially in a car like this, would be very useful.

As far as the comments above about weight...If you read John Heinricy's live chat transcript, for Cadillac it's all about power to weight ratio, and despite the weight, it is better than the competition. I'm not at all worried considering my current car is a touch over 4k pounds.
    I took the ///M school last February. Got to drive the M5/M6 and Z4 M coupes. Alot of fun but don't expect to learn all you need to know from a one-day course. Sign yourself up for a REAL race school and go out and really learn how to drive your car!

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    I checked a few other sites too but you're right. To that end, I DID contact Wiseco but have not yet heard back from them. If I get a chance, I'll try another. I too, am no expert on pistons but am a retired (but w/30 years experience) professional mechanic with lapse ASE credentials, so I have at least SOME degree of experience with this stuff.
    FINALLY heard from Wiseco today. Their LS engine expert said the following:

They expect a Cadillac owner to not put up with the noise a forged piston *can* make compared to a cast piston. The problem is GM designs these pistons with a TON of skirt taper so a guy can start it up at negative 30 degrees and floor it all the way to the convenience store without seizing the engine. Many LS pistons have a lot of slap because of this taper.

We have more knowledgeable people running our pistons, so we reduce taper a lot. This often makes our forged pistons QUIETER than o.e. cast piston in a lot of applications. Pretty sad considering we're starting out with a much denser alloy.

And yes,.....cast is cheaper.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I'll second the skirt taper noise issue- my LS6 sounds like a sewing machine. It runs like a scalded dog, but still noisy.
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323 (ask for Tony)

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Had the same thing with my Denali a few years back. Yeah, it was noisy (more so when cold) but that wasn't a big issue for me.

jasaero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 BLK Cadillac CTS-V

Wonder if they did also take some taper out and then code the ECM to not allow hard revving until certain criteria are met? I know there is some internal need for a quieter LS variety for Caddy and Buick since the Northstar replacement is now dead. This could be the first model of LS that really tries to make the LS more refined and attempt to get the NVH more near DOHC levels. The cast pistons and less taper could make for a lot quieter LS compared the the LS6 in my car. I for one wouldn't mind my car being handicapped deliberately for longevity sake until it's warmed up as I am very impatient when getting in a vehicle and going somewhere. I didn't start driving until after engine designs had lots of tweaking to allow things to work out well without a warm up period. If I ever purchased a classic car or put a built engine in a car I would need to train myself to wait before pushing things. If a computer handicapped the car until it was safe to push it though, I wouldn't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Wonder if they did also take some taper out and then code the ECM to not allow hard revving until certain criteria are met? I know there is some internal need for a quieter LS variety for Caddy and Buick since the Northstar replacement is now dead. This could be the first model of LS that really tries to make the LS more refined and attempt to get the NVH more near DOHC levels. The cast pistons and less taper could make for a lot quieter LS compared the the LS6 in my car. I for one wouldn't mind my car being handicapped deliberately for longevity sake until it's warmed up as I am very impatient when getting in a vehicle and going somewhere. I didn't start driving until after engine designs had lots of tweaking to allow things to work out well without a warm up period. If I ever purchased a classic car or put a built engine in a car I would need to train myself to wait before pushing things. If a computer handicapped the car until it was safe to push it though, I wouldn't mind.
    Not sure how they could accomplish that. Coolant temp could be used but that lags WAY behind metal temp of the specific components involved here.

ZOH6CAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTSV
    If Cad wants to compete with the Europeans they must loose the weight - at least 300-500 lbs. ccontinulally adding more HP that uses premium fuel is going to hold them back. Whats next the 650 HP Z motor? The new Pontiac (actually the OZZIE Commadore) of V8 Supercar fame should be the new GM entrant to the SCCA series, the Cad is just too heavy and the Commadore is a proven winner in OZ. I have enjoyed my 05 CTSV but with the GMs Rear Diff debacle, the clunking and the extra weight , the extreme depreciation and after owning a 3000# Z06 it will be sold in the spring and the garage will house a new poncho as soon as the SS version 6 speed arrives. By the way if anyone is interested in the (put away for the winter) o5 CTSV , its a black one owner 12,000KMs and the full service warrenty runs thru to March 2010. I live in the greater Vancouver BC area.

ZOH6CAD

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Not sure how they could accomplish that. Coolant temp could be used but that lags WAY behind metal temp of the specific components involved here.
    The ability has been in GM engine controllers for years - Just not always used. There are many V1 cars running around with cold engine protection as the result of a little PCM reflash.

Mystical_Ice is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V

Hey Rick,
    what would you, in your experience, suggest the criteria be before 'pushing' the engines?

it's never that cold when i start up in the mornings (lately oil temperature has been around 45 degrees), but i generally keep the RPMs below 2500 until oil temperature is 100 degrees +

is that good? should i adjust that habit?

jasaero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 BLK Cadillac CTS-V

What do you think heats the water?? But you also have oil temp and oil pressure. StealthV has mentioned it's aleady being done on V1's. Once coolant temp has reached it's nominal point I think that would be an OK place to open things up anyhow. Everything is pretty much fully heated not long after the coolant reaches it's normal running temp.

Understood, I was just trying point out how long that can take at times. Many people do not have that kind of restraint.

ylwjacket is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

turn down the volume on the turn signals. i only use them to change lanes now, because they are too loud.

Mystical_Ice is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V

Quote Originally Posted by ylwjacket View Post
    turn down the volume on the turn signals. i only use them to change lanes now, because they are too loud.
    i can just see it now
    "i'm sorry officer... i NEVER use my turn signal... it's just too LOUD!"

actually just today i changed lanes on the highway, and forgot ot turn the turn signal off (i had music on, and the windows open), and after a few minutes it displayed a message saying "turn signal on" or something like that!
    i was impressed

Hell, I remember wrapping the flashers in foam to quiet them. At the very least pop them out of the retainer and let them hang.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Here's a relevant real issue learned while trying to order my '08 - The '09 V damn well better not have the UltraView sunroof as basically mandatory with every option package.

Need the option of an all steel roof (or "normal" sunroof) will still allowing all the luxurious goodies such as HIDs, nav, HDD, Recaros, etc.

Forcing UltraView on anything but a stripped down car is d-u-m-stupid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.