What GM should do to improve the 2009 CTS-V before final release - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, What GM should do to improve the 2009 CTS-V before final release in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Let waranty take care of the melted pistons ? how hard did you run your cobra?...
    mole177 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: What GM should do to improve the 2009 CTS-V before final release

Let waranty take care of the melted pistons ? how hard did you run your cobra?

Me Wanna A V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mole177 View Post
    Let waranty take care of the melted pistons ? how hard did you run your cobra?
    As far as warranty, I want you to remember this post and see what happens with these cars and catastrophic engine failures! I promise you, Cadillac will be kicking themselves in the ass. Honestly, it probably would only cost GM $500 per vehicle to "upgrade" to forged pistons. I'm sure the end consumer would be more than willing to pay for that.

As for my Cobra, most of my buddies would tell you that I drove it like a grandma. However, I was racing another Stang that was on spray when my car started smoking like it was on fire. The car did trap 121 mph before the motor went bye-bye.

The new motor (with FORGED PISTONS) was a 347ci that ended up making 609rwhp. I sold it last February.

verbs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    I for one am tired of hearing people whine about the lack of "forged pistons". Why on God's green earth does the CTS-V need them?
    Because many V owners are going to want to mod their cars, and it would have been nice of them to keep us enthusiasts in mind. It's nice having more margin for error and modding capabilities. I'd pay an extra $500 in a heartbeat and deal with the extra noise over a cast piston.....Getting forged slugs after the fact is going to cost THOUSANDS.

OldRoadDawg is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

The question is: What GM should do to improve the 2009 CTS-V before final release?

How about plugging a TechII into all... er... most of the Service Managers/Service Writers heads.
    Then reflashing their brains . . . instructing them that Cadillac is selling a 'high performance' vehicle.

The newly programmed service personnel will now respond in a positive 'we'll get it taken care of' mode.
    The old response 'You're abusing the vehicle. Not covered under warranty' will be deleted.
    (reflash will not be applicable to Lindsay and selected other dealerships)

Just a thought, since Lutz is touting the GenII V as the "fastest sedan in the world".

Who knows... maybe all these re-programmed SM's will even treat the GenI V owners with some respect.

Yeah. You're right. Not gonna happen.

Mystical_Ice is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V

what i'm looking forward to, is exhaust, pulley change, and tune, and adding 50+rwhp to it right there

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Me Wanna A V View Post
    Katshot:

Since I'm the one who pretty much highlighted this "issue" to everyone on this forum, let me try to defend my opinion as to why "I" feel this vehicle "needs" "Forged pistons".

On my old 1995 Cobra I decided to add a Vortech supercharger to my car which already was making 306 rwhp with heads and cam. (Stay with me now- this was back in 1997, so 306 rwhp on that car equated to a 109.32 mph in the 1/4 mile and plenty fast for it's time). Anyways, after putting on the blower and making 480 @ the wheels, guess how long my motor lasted with the stock HYPEREUTECTIC PISTONS! How about 5 months! Yes, it had a custom tune, but there comes a time when the internals "need" to be better.

After melting two pistons, I had to spend $ for a new short block. Did I put hyper pistons back in the new block? NO! I spent the EXTRA (I don't know the amount off hand) money for Forged Pistons. Now it kills me when people are suggesting that GM did this as a cost cutting reason. What? Or better yet, forged pistons are louder and they wouldn't want that added noise in a Cadillac. Come on, give me a break. You know how loud a motor is when the pistons melt?
    Not that I wish to be argumentative but do you have a clue what you're saying here? Do you even understand what "hyper-eutectic" means? Do you understand the difference between cast and forged pistons?
    Listening to your post suggests you do not. Rather than try to make a technical statement here, I think it's probably easier to direct you to a pretty good article I found that should shed some light on the subject for you.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston
    Read, and see why your post makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Ice View Post
    what i'm looking forward to, is exhaust, pulley change, and tune, and adding 50+rwhp to it right there
    Then you're in for a big let-down. There'll be no "pulley changes" on this puppy. Exhaust mods will help a bit though since the LSA uses only cast iron manifolds and fairly quiet mufflers. Not sure about 50hp but a freer-flowing intake and exhaust could net you close to that. My guess would be closer to maybe 30hp.

Me Wanna A V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Katshot:

After "looking" that all over, I eventually got to the bottom of the page:

Hypereutectic pistons can be forged, but typically are only cast. This is because cast pistons are considered strong enough for stock applications, and the extra expense is not justified.
    Aftermarket performance pistons made from the most common 4032 and 2618 alloys that are often used to replace stock hypereutectic pistons are typically forged.
    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston"

This car is stated to receive: Cast - Hypereutectic Pistons!
    No need for us to discuss any further!

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

What GM should do to improve the 2009 CTS-V before final release?

Let me perform their shakedown runs. If it survives a week with me, it'll do, it'll do just fine.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post
    Current V = 405 hp (395 tq) @ 3850 lb = 1:9.506 power to weight ratio
    (which means that every 1 hp carries 9.506 lbs)
    2009 V = 550 hp (550 tq) @ 4200 lb = 1:7.636 power to weight ratio
    (which means that every 1 hp carries 7.636 lbs)
    That math is only meaningful in a straight line.

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Me Wanna A V View Post
    Katshot:

After "looking" that all over, I eventually got to the bottom of the page:

Hypereutectic pistons can be forged, but typically are only cast. This is because cast pistons are considered strong enough for stock applications, and the extra expense is not justified.
    Aftermarket performance pistons made from the most common 4032 and 2618 alloys that are often used to replace stock hypereutectic pistons are typically forged.
    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston"

This car is stated to receive: Cast - Hypereutectic Pistons!
    No need for us to discuss any further!

Seriously, Cast hyper pistons in a forced air car not being important is totally laughable. I cannot tell you how many shattered hyper pistons i have seen in Buick Grand Nationals over the years. They seem to get very dangerous around the 550 rwhp level. I was shocked to read that and i am still figuring that GM is smart enough not to use them and that it is just a typo. Forged internals are the foundation of a modified car.

Also Kat, why do you say that a pulley change to gain boost and Hp is impossible?

jasaero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 BLK Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by verbs View Post
    Because many V owners are going to want to mod their cars, and it would have been nice of them to keep us enthusiasts in mind. It's nice having more margin for error and modding capabilities. I'd pay an extra $500 in a heartbeat and deal with the extra noise over a cast piston.....Getting forged slugs after the fact is going to cost THOUSANDS.
    The problem is that they are trying to make a claim this car is just as or atleast nearly as quiet and refined as it's intended competition such as the M5 and E63 AMG. I think there will be plenty of safe and affordable head room in this engine anyhow. Maybe not like if it had come with the forged pistons, but you can't have everything for nothing. The money saved between this and an M5 will probably be enough to swap the LSA with the LS9 anyhow!!

jasaero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 BLK Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT View Post
    Seriously, Cast hyper pistons in a forced air car not being important is totally laughable. I cannot tell you how many shattered hyper pistons i have seen in Buick Grand Nationals over the years. They seem to get very dangerous around the 550 rwhp level. I was shocked to read that and i am still figuring that GM is smart enough not to use them and that it is just a typo. Forged internals are the foundation of a modified car.

Also Kat, why do you say that a pulley change to gain boost and Hp is impossible?
    550hp on a 3.8L Turbo V6 and 550hp on a 6.2L SC V8 are totally different. Not going to want to crank these up too much granted, but they will have room for improvements that aren't too spendy. Just not HUGE room for improvement. I am guessing you will be able to get near LS9 power safely.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Here's video of Lutz addressing the CTS-V engineering team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRDx5...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT View Post

I read somewhere recently that a pulley change is not possible on this blower. Not sure where I read it though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.