Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Hopefully New Owner...Soon. Things that should look for when buying

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  CVP33 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forum and planning on getting the 2011+ CTS-V, no more than 40k. I tried to search as much as possible the web and the forum on how reliable is the car and what are some major issues that many of you deal with?

Well, could not find much and that is why I am creating the thread.

I deff want warranty on the car cause I am positive that parts aren't cheap.

So, what common issues do 30k+ miles CTS-Vs have (read that some people have some rattle on the supercharger and whining sound from the differential) and what should I have in mind when buying one?

Any advice is appreciated! Looking forward to getting one one of these babies.

#3 ·
The most common issue is a noisy supercharger related to the isolator. GM has extended the warranty on that part to 7-8 years (can't remember which) and 120K miles from the original in-service date.

Other issues:
"Rocking Recaros" - a light shifting of the seats when making turns. I'm not sure if this is limited to the Recaros as my previous non-V CTS coupe without Recaros did this. My guess is that it is a chronic problem with the seat mounting points on the platform.

Rear end - some cars have had issues with the rear ends needing to be replaced. I think this was more common in earlier models, but other members can correct me on that.

Clicking front wheels - this is noticeable when making tight turns at low speeds. Difficult to hear in the cabin unless the windows are rolled down. Dealer can fix it by cleaning the hub and wheel, and in some cases replacing the lug nuts. It often reoccurs after a while. I had mine serviced in August and it hasn't come back yet.

Leaking moon roofs. - I believe this is most common in the sedans with the Ultraview glass roof. It is not exclusive to the V and applies across the CTS line. I believe it's less of an issue in the coupes as its a different design with a panel that only tilts (vents) and doesn't retract. The cause typically are clogged drain holes. Some folks correct the problem by using the line from a weed Wacker to clear the hole. I have not had an issue in my previous non-V coupe and my current V-coupe. Obviously not an issue if you get a car without a moonroof.

The clicking wheels and "rocking Recaros" are very minor issues in my opinion. The supercharger issue is covered by an extended warranty, even if the factory warranty has expired.

Do a search as there are plenty of these kind of threads. The car and platform is pretty solid.

#4 ·
The most common issue is a noisy supercharger related to the isolator. GM has extended the warranty on that part to 7-8 years (can't remember which) and 120K miles from the original in-service date.

Do a search as there are plenty of these kind of threads. The car and platform is pretty solid.
How is the automatic transmission? Any issues that are common. I would really prefer a stick but haven't seen a sedan with stick for sale...but if I have no other option I will get the auto.

Thanks a lot for the info.

#8 ·
Seems like I found one that I kind of like.
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/623948492/overview/

Free carfax is available and there are two things on it that little worry me:

1) 09/19/2011 1,346 Crane Chevrolet
Clifton, NJ
973-472-5500
cranechevrolet.com Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced

2) Type of owner "Corporate fleet" first owner and the second owner is private.

Also, the car was bought at auction which is not a big deal.

#9 ·
Looks like a fair deal, you could probably negotiate a bit more on the price. I personally don't put a lot of stock in Carfax. Not useless, but since it's all based on voluntary reporting there isn't anyway to be sure that it is completely accurate.
Because the car was a fleet rental and then privately owned for just one year it may not be modded but, you still want to have the dealership inspect it. There have been a few folks who found out after the purchase that their V had been previously modded and not disclosed. That can cause problems with the warranty.

#11 ·
Rental + 550hp = abuse.

I know a guy who rented a cts-v for two weeks and was killing it, cause it is a rental. The cars looks pretty good though, plus if it has warranty it should not be a big deal.
I might go and check it out.

----------

Should perhaps add the fogging/ condensation issue with the headlights to this list.
Thanks for bringing that up. As long as there aren't any major electric or mechanical on going issues I am fine.

#12 ·
dead-zone said:
Rental + 550hp = abuse. I know a guy who rented a cts-v for two weeks and was killing it, cause it is a rental. The cars looks pretty good though, plus if it has warranty it should not be a big deal. I might go and check it out. ---------.
Crap! I wasn't thinking Hertz/Avis rental, more like corporate car assigned to one person for business. We've had a few of those in the forum.

#13 ·
Still under warranty, pick it up for $40-$42K and consider it well bought. Use consumables as leverage (tires, brakes) and any wear and tear (interior upholstery, paint chips). Gotta say though, I believe that there are some leftover 2013's out there with zero miles that can be had for $50K. Not sure if that's in your price range, but the peace of mind knowing that no one else, other than a few aggressive test drives, ever put miles on your car may be worth the extra dough. It was for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.